Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ghroznak

Contracts are massive AFK

Why are contracts allowed to automagically gobble up port spawned / dropped items?

This is the absolutely most terrible AFK-design I've seen in a game since doing horse training in Black Desert Online (where you literally set your character to ride in circles for 8 hours while you were asleep in order to get any significant progress whatsoever).

So spend one evening, sail around and set Fire-And-Forget contracts, then spend 2 weeks playing World of Warcraft while contracts just AFK-farm items?

What absolute nonsense is this?

Contracts should ONLY be aimed at players.

Place a buy contract and then others PLAYERS ONLY can sell to you.

Place a sell contract and then other PLAYERS ONLY can buy from you.

This AFK-farming, bot/script promoting contract system...

Get rid of it.

Make it player-to-player only.

• Like 1

Go there and overbid. Problem solved.

When I used to play that game I engaged in long and fierce "trade PVP" overbid battles on certain resources in some ports.

Edited by victor

Yeah ghosts the hitch to the system your either not mentioning or not aware of. If I put up a buy contract for teak logs at say 15 reals ea. Then go play another game. Now you come in behind me and put up a contract for those same logs at 17 reals ea. Your contract goes to the top and gets filled first. The only thing I can do is come back and see that I'm out bid and not getting my teak. Then I need to pull my original contract and place a new one out bidding you say 20 reals ea. 

It is a tedious time consuming set up as you need to keep going port to port periodically particularly if your short a material to ensure your rush order get filled. Just means manage your resources get your orders in early, and be prepared to pay inflated prices for non producable goods. 

It's not exactly the free market at work but it's hardly an unfair system. 

P.S. I would prefer and hope that eventually we will have a fully player controlled free market economy. I just deal with this as an unfinished system for now, as it seems mostly boring, and lifeless, but it serves as the place holder system it is.

• Like 1

Although I don't play the whole contract and trader game very often, I have done it enough to realize that it is flawed. Maybe that's why I don't do it. LOL

1. Contracts should have a shorter expiration. I personally think 3 days should be plenty.
  2. You get emails when your ships sell on contract. Why not get an email when you are outbid or your contract is filled?
  3. Overbids should be by a minimum 10% above the current bid.
  4. The whole magic wallet thing is weird when it comes to ship refits. You can store plating for your hull in a magic chest that you always have with you... or a special mast?? Remove refits from the magic wallet. Refits, if they move, should have to be either inside or installed on a ship. This could discourage resource alts just sitting in a port, churning out cartagena refits, then never sailing them anywhere.

On 12/28/2018 at 10:24 PM, Farrago said:

Although I don't play the whole contract and trader game very often, I have done it enough to realize that it is flawed. Maybe that's why I don't do it. LOL

1. Contracts should have a shorter expiration. I personally think 3 days should be plenty.
  2. You get emails when your ships sell on contract. Why not get an email when you are outbid or your contract is filled?
  3. Overbids should be by a minimum 10% above the current bid.
  4. The whole magic wallet thing is weird when it comes to ship refits. You can store plating for your hull in a magic chest that you always have with you... or a special mast?? Remove refits from the magic wallet. Refits, if they move, should have to be either inside or installed on a ship. This could discourage resource alts just sitting in a port, churning out cartagena refits, then never sailing them anywhere.

Contracts should be player-to-player only, not auto-eat port resources.

Secondly, why is Live Oak only a drop and not a plantation?

This just reeks of Live Oak being far to good, which means Live Oak needs to be balanced with other wood types (whether that means Live Oak gets nerfed or other wood gets buffed).

Why not have Live Oak plantations and control the supply by making it low yield resource for high labor cost? Then it's up to player if they want to buy Live Oak from others who sell it or prioritize their buildings and make their own live oak plantation.

I'm all for having contracts in the game. But the way they work now as fire-and-forget contracts to auto-farm resources is just silly. It basically encourages AFK gameplay and also motivates people to write scripts to have bots deal with the market and contracts. Heck, even with my limited programming knowledge I could write something that checks the contract price and auto-overbid as needed.

As for contract durations, how about contracts having a grace period where if you placed a contract for 3 days then once it is filled you can't place another contract for the same item in the same port for the same amount of time you placed the contract. In other words, 3 day duration contract = 3 days and no contract for that item in that port. Set it for 1 week, then 1 week with no contract afterwards.

Anyways, that's all just brainstorming. Point is, the current system is really flawed and it doesn't take much thought to come up with something better.

As for a market entirely player driven... well, first we need more players but that's another discussion. Secondly, if it's going to be player driven that means items and products are player created, which means everything should be available as plantations, mines and so forth. E.g. Live Oak and White Oak should be plantation items.

• Like 1

Well imo lo,wo and several of the other woods should be player produced in any case. Having us spoon fed certain materials and the general dumbing down of the economic side of the game is most of the reasons I find it stale boring and lifeless. I really dont feel like I'm interacting with other players in any meaningful way. Essentially were all just interacting with the AI which is more A almost no I. The game hands out the goods at certain designated and we all clamor for them like a bunch of starving street urchins. Well I suppose that economic model worked for Stalin.

It is simple enough to exploit if I were so inclined. In part because of the low player base. If that player base were to rise by any reasonable amount the current system would collapse. Larger numbers mean larger more varied  fluctuations in server population. What's here would never be able to adjust to that. The economy would be hopelessly broken inside of 2 months. I would expect the current economic model from one of my old commodore 64 games. I absolutely agree it takes little effort to design something more interesting.

Hopefully better is coming, it sounds so but seeing is believing. I almost have to expect some sort of improvement as I stated earlier this system really won't survive anything close to a successful release. If what comes doesn't drastically improve things were in trouble.

• Like 1