Game-Labs Forum

Make open world smaller

It will not make a difference. People that want to avoid a fight will manage it anyway. You would have to make the map so small that it would be impossible for a trader to do a run without getting hit and impossible for people to pve without getting ganked. I doubt map size would change anything. In order for and mmo to work you need players. 150 players are simply not enough. 

Edited by HachiRoku
  • Like 5

I hear you, open world roaming pvp is dead at the moment. But you can't design a game on current numbers or on the assumption the server pop will be low. What if you make the map smaller and at release there are 10k online?

I sometimes think there are a few suggestions/decisions that are made that are influenced by server numbers. They are usually bad ones. Bad ones make the game worse and so more people stop playing (Patrols are a good example of this imo). There is a wipe coming, it's Xmas, there are some poor mechanics/game design issues that need resolving. Making the map smaller would be a reactive decision that just made the game worse.

17 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

I would like a more compressed OW with slower sailing speeds. I think that would look and play better, not considering the low pop.

would be much easier to increase sailing speed and decrease join timer imo. But they should try it because of the decreased number of players

53 minutes ago, Wyy said:

would be much easier to increase sailing speed and decrease join timer imo. But they should try it because of the decreased number of players

OW sailing already looks silly enough with how fast you sail. I would shrink the map by half and cut sailing speed by half, that way instead of going 30knts on OW you go 15 which matches up with the instance better.

I remember watching a captain apolo video on NA and everyone was wondering why his cutter was going 30 knts and they thought the game wasn't realistic even though it is, first impressions people are picky.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

I always thought, central part active, when players numbers rise, area around unlocks incremental. 

Less than 500 players %40 of map, central parts are unlocked. 

More than 1000 %70 unlocked. 

More than 2000 all the current map unlocked. 

:)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jerome said:

Hell, there are 137 players on right now.  Odds of encountering one... slim.

I encounter player within 15 mins almost every time I log on, even with this low population. If want , learn where they are active and go there. But yes, encountering other players at less "popular" areas are very slim.

Looking forward to 500+ at least.

Edited by Spadarossa

Too much nations that didn't matter in the West Indies, spread players through it and you'll have a spread-out playerbase. Main focus of the map is pretty much always the center around Hispaniola, Cuba, Bahamas... it's not that the map is too big, people just have things to do instead of sailing around looking for other players.

NO !!!

Leave the map alone.

Map size is great.

This is not an arcade game.

Our clan sails everywhere and has plenty of OW PVP everyday and we never fight in the R Zones or the P Zones.

Sail out of Tumbado, Navasse, Aves, etc and you will have lots of PVP.

The large map is also great for traders and for those who want to get away.

Happy Christmas.

• Like 2

I've always wondered why PvPers don't get on Global chat and announce where they are.  Gather in a small area of the map.  That way you could find each other easily and get into fights often with little waiting between them.

There is no need to force everyone on to a small map.  The map is already just small sea.  It is not the whole world with days of sailing to cross oceans.  Most journeys are an hour or less.  In three hours you can cross the whole map.  

NA would not be improved if it were restricted to a big lake.  

Everyone that likes to fight, all of the time, should be able to get together and have some nice battles.  Use the chat in game.  They can schedule times and a location for PvP on these forums. 

Some players want some opportunities without PvP, sometimes they want to trade or craft... or sink NPCs.

Edited by Macjimm
  • Like 2

Yesterday I had 7 OW battles all were random encounters (not at capitals/Pz). But its like always if to focused it will kill you. I enjoy sailing, I love the random encounters ow grants and for me the map size of the game is what it gives that magic touch.

A big map makes it a sandbox game while a tiny one an area game. NAL had the smallest maps of all and most people do pve why nobody played it?

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Sovereign said:

Personally I think the map in NA can not be big enough. Imagine having the whole world map available for travelling, trading and RvR. There are always hotspots where you can find other players.

yes but at some point you have to ask what's the point of all this space if 98% of it goes totally unused.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

yes but at some point you have to ask what's the point of all this space if 98% of it goes totally unused.

Well, true the ports need to have value and there need to be more things in OW that promote travelling and exploration.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rediii said:

yes, now.

You only think small thats why you want a small map.

Rather play at release and prepare the game for medium pop (around 1000-1500 players online) and for that the map is perfectly fine

No Sir, You rule out a small map which is foolish because map size has nothing to do with how large the game feels. Like I said half the size AND half the speed, travel takes the same time and you have is just an aesthetic decision, or art style of the map with the benefit of being easier on the server :)

And it's a good idea too. How often do you use the home button to see beyond the horizon? All the time i'm certain, I sure do it lets you see things you wouldn't be if you weren't. Either sailing is too fast or we sail on a map that's 2x too big, because sailing 30knts in any world is a big no. Not for these ships.

It's design like that you look at. You can't be thinking like all this doesn't matter together and you can just slap any ol feature on and *poof* magic happens. The magic happens when all the pieces fit together and you get the warm glow of two thing interacting with each other to create a feature which ends up being better than you planned.

I'd rather play a complete game at release and like DayZ this game is stuck in EA limbo, I don't care what they call their 1.0 over there it certainly is still a beta and not a complete 1.0 version. If patch 29 as a version number for me would be patch .68. The game is still only just now getting it's beta face lift and a lot of underlying issues still need correcting before I think of a Naval Action version number 1.0, or 1. 02 or 1.13. Not even close. Version number tells something about a game, it's not random or arbitrary.

Edited by Slim McSauce

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:14 AM, Hullabaloo 'The Thief' said:

I hear you, open world roaming pvp is dead at the moment. But you can't design a game on current numbers or on the assumption the server pop will be low. What if you make the map smaller and at release there are 10k online?

I sometimes think there are a few suggestions/decisions that are made that are influenced by server numbers. They are usually bad ones. Bad ones make the game worse and so more people stop playing (Patrols are a good example of this imo). There is a wipe coming, it's Xmas, there are some poor mechanics/game design issues that need resolving. Making the map smaller would be a reactive decision that just made the game worse.

The POTBS map was much closer to right sized.  About 30-40 minute sail max from one end to the other.  A map that size or even slightly larger would help.

In 2016 the map was even larger and I liked it. Sailing is not racing through the world. 

Back in the old days, I never had a problem to find some PvP, the places were known and you could go there.

For the right sailing feeling, I would still prefer a larger map with slower ships.

For fast battles, they should bring the training arena back, that we had at that time. It would be a great helt to show new players the basics of sea fights, too.

• Like 2