Game-Labs Forum
Ghroznak

Crafting Recipes and 'How to'.

I came back after a long time and looked at the crafting, but this is really frustrating.

I can't figure out what makes what, and how to make it and what is needed to make things.

Example:

How to make rum?

Needs sugar.

Where do you get sugar?

Buy it from ports or make a sugar plantation.

Also needs barrels.

How do you get barrels? So far I have no idea cause NOTHING anywhere tells me how to make barrels.

Also, after I have the barrels and the sugar... how do I combine this? Do I just craft it in my ship or a port? Do I need a work shop? Do I need some other building like a distillery? 

HOW?

Literally no sites I can find tells me how to do this.

I tried the WIKI page, and sure, it has Rum listed and shows that it needs sugar and barrels... but when I click on barrels... link just drops me on an empty page.

I can not find any concise website whatsoever that explains how to make the different crafting resources for this game. Not in the game itself, and not in the wiki, and not in any other website.

This is so frustrating I end up doing about 15 google searches and then just quit the game.

There's no middle materials anymore.

The system now is 

Base resource ----> end product

So for Rum, you just need sugar.

2 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

There's no middle materials anymore.

The system now is 

Base resource ----> end product

So for Rum, you just need sugar.

Well, again, nothing anywhere tells me this. Whether in the game, or outside of the game. All I get is bits of information here and there, either from asking in game or like you just told me here on the forum.

Why isn't there a proper site, or in-game information, that tells us what each building produces and how to make it?

Every site I looked up was just "How to build a ship". Well, I don't want to build a ship. I want to build resources and sell for trading.

But there isn't a single website on the entire internet that holds this information.

• Like 1

There's no materials building, the only materials used now are

- Rig Repairs

- Hull repairs

- Rum

- Provisions ( basically converted fish from fishing :) )

And Modules.

You need a Workshop for repais, rum and modules.

You need Forge for making guns.

You need Academy to deal mostly with anything relating to crew or labor.

There's no more frames, planks, carriages, etc.

That level has been removed.

In the crafting screens, once you click the element you want to craft the recipe will show what resources you need.

Hope it helps.

• Like 2

Another great question, which mentions a core base component for an age of sail game.

A captain's LOGBOOK, which also contains information about ship infos, cannon infos, trading, stuff, what is what, how to, where etc (repairs, ingredients, recipes and all the answers). A game encyclopedia embedded into logbook.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

Another great question, which mentions a core base component for an age of sail game.

A captain's LOGBOOK, which also contains information about ship infos, cannon infos, trading, stuff, what is what, how to, where etc (repairs, ingredients, recipes and all the answers). A game encyclopedia embedded into logbook.

I just want a simple information tab when I look at Workshops that then explains to me a list over the things a workshop would produce.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ghroznak said:

I just want a simple information tab when I look at Workshops that then explains to me a list over the things a workshop would produce.

I feel your pain and have reconciled that GL may produce something once the game is completed.  Or perhaps players can create a guide, manual, and/or reference.   Creating something now would require frequent updates, and much of the material may need to be changed or updated at any time.

In the interim we have to rely on players and moderators to give us glimpses and partial hints.  Big cheers to our friend Hethwill.  But we may not receive complete explanations, to game mechanics, anytime soon. 

Edited by Macjimm
  • Like 1

Welcome to the dumbed down crafting that all the hard core PvP'ers have been clamoring for.  🙄 You can access any blueprint from the Blueprints button at the top left of the Crafting Building window. It will tell you what base resources are needed for any item you have a blue print for.

You can access all recipes and materials for Modules using outside tools, but don't count on getting any more in-game information any time soon:

https://na-map.netlify.com/

Click on Game Tools, then Recipes.

• Like 1

I'm still trying to figure out the new way myself.   They call it simplified, but it's a lot more complex, requiring uncraftable doubloons, and for 3rd rates and up, a permit.   Not sure where that, or these Treatises come from, and can't even craft manufactures I have the ingredients for, other than rum, hull repairs, and rig repairs.   

10 hours ago, Lew_Wetzel said:

I'm still trying to figure out the new way myself.   They call it simplified, but it's a lot more complex, requiring uncraftable doubloons, and for 3rd rates and up, a permit.   Not sure where that, or these Treatises come from, and can't even craft manufactures I have the ingredients for, other than rum, hull repairs, and rig repairs.   

Treatises are special books that drop from PvE and chests, and permits you can buy from the Admiralty for, you guessed it, more doubloons... 

21 hours ago, Lew_Wetzel said:

Hi, let me see if I can give you a little help.

I believe your access to specific ship blueprints is now solely dependent on your crafting level. As you go up in crafting level, you automatically gain knowledge of larger ship blueprints. I'm sorry, but I don't know of a reliable resource to find out what these levels are currently. But if while in one of your own ports, you click on Buildings/Crafting icon, then click on "All Blueprints" at the upper left, then filter for "Ships" in the Blueprints window, you will see all the blueprints. The ones that you have sufficient level to craft will be black, higher level will be greyed out.

Click on one of the ships in black. You'll see the blueprint for certain builds. Notice it changes as you change Wood and Trim choices. You'll also see the Crafting Level required to build the ship and the Shipyard level required to build it. Shipyards are buildings that you build in one of your ports. If it is located in a "capturable" port (not in your reinforcements zone and not a free port) you odds increase to build a better than average ship. To build 6th rates and smaller require a Level 1 shipyard, 4th rates and smaller require upgrading to Level 2, 3rd rates and larger require a Level 3. Upgrading your shipyard becomes significantly more expensive so there's no reason to do it until you're ready to build bigger ships.

As you'll see, ingredients have been simplified. We no longer make intermediate items like barrels, iron ingots, etc. Ships are constructed straight from the raw materials. The only ship ingredients for ships 5th rate and smaller are Oak Logs, Fir Logs, Hemp, Iron Ore, Lignum Vitae Logs, Stone Blocks, Coal, and Provisions + any special wood such as Teak that you may be using.

Once you want to build 4th rates and bigger, you need doubloons as well. Doubloons are obtainable as loot from AI and players, Mission rewards, or purchasable from other players.

3rd rate and bigger ships also require Permits to build. You get those from the Admiralty Shop by paying Victory Marks. Victory Marks are obtained by participating in a successful port battle. If you participate in a successful port battle (defense or attack) you collect 1 Victory Mark per week until that port has another port battle. You are a Lord Protector of that port until it is attacked/defended again. If you participate again in that port battle, you retain your Lord Protector status. I believe if you are Lord Protector for several ports, you gain more than one Victory Mark per week but I do not know the exact numbers for that.

Fair sails, Captain.

• Like 2

I went back up to my first port, Charleston, for the first time I started back playing.   There's an extra tab there at the bottom called "Admiralty."   There are the permits for big ships and blueprints for upgrades.    They cost doubloons, which can be won by capping trade ships(haven't checked the hold on a capped a warship) or doing their missions.   You have to be looking right at them after you cap them, for the "X" to check hold becomes active.   I'm moving my mats stockpile up there from the Bahamas, now that I have enough to make an Indiaman and move bigger loads and make more reals.   But I'll have to take time and do some more combat and capping to make doubloons for blueprints, permits, and an academy.   There are some upgrades, like reinforced rudder, that I don't see how to make.   I'll update as I learn...