Game-Labs Forum

Practice Mode / Arcade Mode / Custom Battle

Now i love playing this game.  However sometimes i dont have the amount of time to go into port select my ship, pick what i am going to do and then go do it.  

Sometimes i am looking for a quick battle, at any rate.  Whether it is vs NPC, or perhaps PVP with friends.  

I figure i would suggest that there be a Practice Mode / Private Battle Mode / Arcade Mode or Map, where a player can go into a list of ALL Rated Ships and Pick what they would like to use to fight.  Pick what they would like to go up against.   I see this as a benefit especially for fleets or clans that want to practice maneuvers and seamanship.  Or for single Naval Action battles whether it be PVP or playing against NPC characters.  Wouldn't it be nice to have the option to mess around with different caliber of ships to test your abilities once again in Battles without the risk of loosing your precious ships and cargo? 

To Test the Waters as it were? 

Now i understand the realism that the Developers would like to go for, which would still be there in the Regular modes or Maps.  But to have an Arcade Style Map or Mode, would give the player more options of what they want to do, what they need to prepare for, and what to expect from their next "real" engagement.   And after all, this is a game. 

5 hours ago, Captain James Waterman said:

Now i love playing this game.  However sometimes i dont have the amount of time to go into port select my ship, pick what i am going to do and then go do it.  

Sometimes i am looking for a quick battle, at any rate.  Whether it is vs NPC, or perhaps PVP with friends.  

I figure i would suggest that there be a Practice Mode / Private Battle Mode / Arcade Mode or Map, where a player can go into a list of ALL Rated Ships and Pick what they would like to use to fight.  Pick what they would like to go up against.   I see this as a benefit especially for fleets or clans that want to practice maneuvers and seamanship.  Or for single Naval Action battles whether it be PVP or playing against NPC characters.  Wouldn't it be nice to have the option to mess around with different caliber of ships to test your abilities once again in Battles without the risk of loosing your precious ships and cargo? 

To Test the Waters as it were? 

Now i understand the realism that the Developers would like to go for, which would still be there in the Regular modes or Maps.  But to have an Arcade Style Map or Mode, would give the player more options of what they want to do, what they need to prepare for, and what to expect from their next "real" engagement.   And after all, this is a game. 

Only issue i have with that is that people would end up doing practice battle's, population right now pretty  low as it is, having people in the practice rooms instead of the open sea would only make the seas even less populated.

There is simply not enough players to sustain that without impacting the game itself.

Edited by Spadarossa
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Captain James Waterman said:

Sometimes i am looking for a quick battle, at any rate. 

Whether it is vs NPC, or perhaps PVP with friends

Its called "Kill Mission"

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spadarossa said:

Only issue i have with that is that people would end up doing practice battle's, population right now pretty  low as it is, having people in the practice rooms instead of the open sea would only make the seas even less populated.

There is simply not enough players to sustain that without impacting the game itself.

Also got to consider that a lof of players that are just into a quick battle or two per day already don't log in anymore, because they cannot get that from OW - just don't have an hour or more per day just to find a battle

When we had the DailySmallBattleChallenge #Reloaded, quite a few players were participating - of which a lot of names you dont see ingame anymore

https://imgur.com/a/bhhG1

Wish we had more options, alias a custom battle room possibility, indeed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Spadarossa said:

Good point.   You may be correct.  But perhaps there would be a higher population overall, if there were practice rooms.

Would be better to have 1000 players on a server with 900 in practice rooms, than 400 on a server with no-one in a practice room.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Macjimm said:

Good point.   You may be correct.  But perhaps there would be a higher population overall, if there were practice rooms.

Would be better to have 1000 players on a server with 900 in practice rooms, than 400 on a server with no-one in a practice room.

That would be a dead game except for practice room..., I would prefer 400.:).

Even if population is 2000 what would that matter if 1900 are in practice rooms?.

Edited by Spadarossa

8 hours ago, Liq said:

Also got to consider that a lof of players that are just into a quick battle or two per day already don't log in anymore, because they cannot get that from OW - just don't have an hour or more per day just to find a battle

When we had the DailySmallBattleChallenge #Reloaded, quite a few players were participating - of which a lot of names you dont see ingame anymore

https://imgur.com/a/bhhG1

Wish we had more options, alias a custom battle room possibility, indeed.

Yes I understand that and I certainly wouldn't mind practice rooms. Just not at the cost of less people actually playing the game. 

8 hours ago, z4ys said:

Its called "Kill Mission"

I understand that is a quicker option.  However you get three.  And they are random, what you must fight as, what you are fighting.  And there is no customization.   Oh and the other modes like Hunt or Search and Destroy, sorry I'm not sailing to the Bahamas from Charleston just to test my luck at going for "x" amount of rates.  NPC levels and the possibility of closer engagements have dropped on PVE.  On PVP I lost my brand new Cerberus to a OP Le Req who's sole game was to board and take me out in two turns off the card.   That's when I said.....hey maybe there should be a practice mode or somthing.  So I can go in pick my Cerberus and Practice against an OP Le Req, I can take the day.   Or perhaps test other frigates to see what I may look to buy.  Maybe the market for ship building and trade would boost if people had a first hand experience with a ship they have had the opportunity to test out. 

But this mode would only be good for quick test engagements.  No rank benefit, no monetary benefit and no class benefit.  It's up to the player whether they would like to play for fun,  or practice, with the choice of NPC or other players who would want to go up against you or CO OP on a practice run.  

15 minutes ago, Spadarossa said:

If only about 1000 people out of the 7.7 billion in the world we will have the playerbase we need.:)

To have 1000 ppl online 24H/day and 7 days a week, more than 1000 players are needed. 🙂

Edited by LeBoiteux

48 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

168,000 if any player plays only 1 hour per week. 

That’s a causal player! too bad for them.

No doubt about it, RvR needs causal and solo players.

Rare for a whole clan to jump right into game and start playing as a full clan.

Since time past, casuals and solos start playing a game, then ask their friends to join, even just make friends, that leads to the formation of clans, in-turn that drives realm.

Maybe dev’s will understand that someday and design there game to be "player friendly", wow what concept!

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Spadarossa said:

Even if population is 2000 what would that matter if 1900 are in practice rooms?.

I think I must be missing something that you are trying to convey ...

If 2000 people are playing and enjoying a game all the time, that is not a bad thing.  If 100 people are enjoying another type of game that's okay too.  I think it's okay to let more people (2000) enjoy the gameplay that they prefer rather than forcing players into a game with less (300) people.  Perhaps I'm thinking that's its important to allow people the type of game they are fond of, rather than trying to make people play my type of game.

"Kill Missions"  I understand that is a quicker option.  However you get three.  And they are random, what you must fight as, what you are fighting.  And there is no customization.   Oh and the other modes like Hunt or Search and Destroy, sorry I'm not sailing to the Bahamas from Charleston just to test my luck at going for "x" amount of rates.  NPC levels and the possibility of closer engagements have dropped on PVE.  On PVP I lost my brand new Cerberus to a OP Le Req who's sole game was to board and take me out in two turns off the card.   That's when I said.....hey maybe there should be a practice mode or somthing.  So I can go in pick my Cerberus and Practice against an OP Le Req, I can take the day.   Or perhaps test other frigates to see what I may look to buy.  Maybe the market for ship building and trade would boost if people had a first hand experience with a ship they have had the opportunity to test out. 

But this mode would only be good for quick test engagements.  No rank benefit, no monetary benefit and no class benefit.  It's up to the player whether they would like to play for fun,  or practice, with the choice of NPC or other players who would want to go up against you or CO OP on a practice run.  

10 hours ago, Macjimm said:

I think I must be missing something that you are trying to convey ...

If 2000 people are playing and enjoying a game all the time, that is not a bad thing.  If 100 people are enjoying another type of game that's okay too.  I think it's okay to let more people (2000) enjoy the gameplay that they prefer rather than forcing players into a game with less (300) people.  Perhaps I'm thinking that's its important to allow people the type of game they are fond of, rather than trying to make people play my type of game.

You and me, are both right. 

Practice rooms are good for several reasons, what both you and also @Liq and others mentioned. Maybe we will get some people coming back to the game and enjoying quick practice battles, but chances are we might loose people too, less people playing the "actual" game with already low number of players could also make people quit out of boredom.

Right now some players who are after "quick" action just grab a cheap ship and hit patrol zone just to fire some guns, those will probably just hit practice room instead and do the fighting there.

My advise is don't introduce practice rooms as an alternative to playing the actual game, instead make it so there is no need for practice rooms.

@Liq mentioned practice rooms good for people who just want to log on and have a quick fight. 

Do we need practice rooms for that?, why?, because low population. Solution is not practice rooms, solution is to fix the population. 

Aim for interaction, not segregation, unite instead of divide.

I've suggested it in the past and the devs decided against room based content. I understand their reasoning behind it and will not argue it further.

However, I will argue that there MUST be a mechanic in game for friendly duels. Green v green is a crappy way to practice with players from the same nation (for many reasons). I do not understand why the devs only want us fighting our enemies with no mechanic to properly train/practice with our teammates. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Capn Rocko said:

I do not understand why the devs only want us fighting our enemies with no mechanic to properly train/practice with our teammates

The only reason I can imagine is that it is not realistic for a country to practice/train by damaging her own ships and killing/wounding her people.  But I doubt that this is the Dev's reason, because so little else in game is based on realism.  Realism and immersion seem to be a dirty words.

Seems that our option is to train/practice with our enemies, and hope we are not seen to be farming or metagaming.

4 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

The only reason I can imagine is that it is not realistic for a country to practice/train by damaging her own ships and killing/wounding her people.  But I doubt that this is the Dev's reason, because so little else in game is based on realism.  Realism and immersion seem to be a dirty words.

Seems that our option is to train/practice with our enemies, and hope we are not seen to be farming or metagaming.

I imagine it's because it's almost impossible (with the current game mechanics) to implement this feature without players exploiting it in the OW. This is why i first suggested room-based practice.