Game-Labs Forum

Dynamic Open World PVP

Christendom

When two fleets cross on a road that wasn't meant for them in a game that players in their free time opt to look at each other from a distance both sides not wanting to gank or be ganked.

This is how hard it is to get a good battle in NA nowadays. Give these people a raid mechanic ffs.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 3

Dont go looking for consensual pvp at a capital zone.

Strangely they will wait for a while for more people and some experienced people, as the first there are no doubt newbs.

And if you don't move they have no need or want to tag you before you "escape" as they have all the time in the world if you sit there.

Nothing new here really. Don't go insane repeating things expecting different results.

39 minutes ago, Wraith said:

You do realize those places are utterly deserted during U.S. prime times when there are fewer than 100 players on right? 🙄

What else are you going to do if you want a consensual PvP occurrence with a nation that refuses to fight outside its reinforcement zone?  

Derp. You know the rules just as well as them. You're just whining because

1.The game is bad

2.You are unable to have fun because of it.

Next time don't go to the PVE zone looking for PVP ya dingus.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Derp. You know the rules just as well as them. You're just whining because

1.The game is bad

2.You are unable to have fun because of it.

In the span of the hour and a half our battle was being fought, the kills in that battle were the only news to be displayed on combat news.  It's probable that were in the only PVP battle on the server during that time period.  Rather sad I'd say.  

The battle was meh.  22v6 with their side having 4x our BR and we still made half their fleet pull off and leave the battle from damage or being demasted.  We lost 3.  I say we won that fight.  We still ended up getting more doubloons for the evening sinking you 3x in a row.

Let's keep in mind that this was at the edge of the reinforcement zone, within a 3-4 min sail from Saint Marys.  A pirate port.  It's not like we were camping CT for content here.  I personally don't mind the safe zones, but I think the ROE in them is preposterous.  2 minute join timers while the other side can reinforce up to 30mins?  Sounds like one of those ROVER ideas that admin coded into the game.  

The point of this post was to highlight the absurdity that is OW PVP in this game outside the Patrol Zones.  If this is the game that admin has envisioned, it's pretty terrible.

Edited by Christendom

I change nothing I said. You go to a place full of newbs and pvers, sit still for an hour in all the same ships. 

You have the audacity to demand dynamic PvP, yet you turn up to a reinforcement zone in 6 lineship and sit still with them all on show.

Simple truth is your being lazy. A simple bait with one ship would of had you your desired result in less than 20 mins.

I could go on but I'll not linger. I won't talk about the tactic used in the fight as I don't know, I could guess how boring it was though.

Top tip - You want dynamic PvP, be dynamic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, traitorous mctraitoro said:

I change nothing I said. You go to a place full of newbs and pvers, sit still for an hour in all the same ships. 

You have the audacity to demand dynamic PvP, yet you turn up to a reinforcement zone in 6 lineship and sit still with them all on show.

Simple truth is your being lazy. A simple bait with one ship would of had you your desired result in less than 20 mins.

I could go on but I'll not linger. I won't talk about the tactic used in the fight as I don't know, I could guess how boring it was though.

Top tip - You want dynamic PvP, be dynamic.

Can't bait and switch with the 2min timers.  Even in the reinforcement zone.  Hence my point

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 1

PvP when i want it, not when others want it seems to be your mantra. All good, everyone does it.

Funny i was sailing with US not long ago ( totally discrete and undercover ) and I see what you fellows are well capable of. But hey, it is nice when it makes me win but not cool when it may make others win. So, either fight or carry on doing your... pvp.

With all due respect, what you wrote above that almost provoked a stroke on another forum user is one of the most unfortunate comments i've read in a while :) 

I've found 2 minute timer is plenty of time.

However i never go to the USA so don't know where you could hide fleets there. I'm more dynamic.

Using just lineships is yet another lazy feature and will probly make 2 mins too short if your over the horizon. I'm usually more dynamic.

Traders make amazing bait. People chase them outside the zone when you leave port in them. Weird I know. Kind of a little dynamic.

Using a strong tank as bait and fast ships to reinforce might work for you. I doubt it. It's too dynamic.

Ofc you will ignore me say I'm wrong and have no idea. And probably sit outside la Havana tomorrow in 6 lineships for an hour.

Edited by traitorous mctraitoro

14 minutes ago, Christendom said:

In the span of the hour and a half our battle was being fought, the kills in that battle were the only news to be displayed on combat news.  It's probable that were in the only PVP battle on the server during that time period.  Rather sad I'd say.  

The battle was meh.  22v6 with their side having 4x our BR and we still made half their fleet pull off and leave the battle from damage or being demasted.  We lost 3.  I say we won that fight.  We still ended up getting more doubloons for the evening sinking you 3x in a row.

Let's keep in mind that this was at the edge of the reinforcement zone, within a 3-4 min sail from Saint Marys.  A pirate port.  It's not like we were camping CT for content here.  I personally don't mind the safe zones, but I think the ROE in them is preposterous.  2 minute join timers while the other side can reinforce up to 30mins?  Sounds like one of those ROVER ideas that admin coded into the game.  

The point of this post was to highlight the absurdity that is OW PVP in this game outside the Patrol Zones.  If this is the game that admin has envisioned, it's pretty terrible.

I can send you an application to ROVER if you'd like?...  I mean, you seem pretty obsessed, so why not join.

I'm just gonna need a valid credit card to hold your place....

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

I can send you an application to ROVER if you'd like?...  I mean, you seem pretty obsessed, so why not join.

I'm just gonna need a valid credit card to hold your place....

I would, but I'm not really interested in playing war thunder or warships.  I prefer to be with clans active in Naval Action.   Appreciate the offer though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Where would you suggest, then?

PvP zone with all its lovely gank-encouraging mechanics? No thanks. 

Someone should really come up with good suggestions for PvP zones. Wait...they already did! But localization and translation is much more important than the declining quality of PvP ........*facepalm*

Maybe I should cruise around the map, hoping to find a lone warship or two? Been there, tried that. Hours of empty seas. Sorry but with ~100 players online that kind of PvP hunting doesn’t work. 

All these brilliant EU crowd of PvP1 pros (and some deluded US time zone playersattempting to tell US time zone players how to play is truly the funniest part of this thread. Seriously...you have two places to get PvP in our time zone: PvP zones (crap RoE) or safezones (equally frustrating).

Make no mistake, we’d rather fight in normal OW engagements against a willing enemy...but when population is low and all the targets (including rear admirals with 1000hrs+ in game) are in their safe zone grinding AI....well you go where the players are. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Christendom said:

the cope is real

I'm sorry guys, unfortunately you have to adapt.

Sitting still waiting for a ganking achieves nothing really.

Fighting in lineships hugging upwind waiting for people to make mistakes doesn't attract the PvP player your after, they know what battle to expect from 6 bellonas sat waiting at the reinforcement.

I know many players who don't have the funds in game to fight in bellonas, at the moment anyway, they are poor. You should try using frigates. Even a mix of 5-4th rates. I'm sure you'll receive a better reception.

Ofc if I'm wrong I'll delete this account.

Carry on being dynamic.

6 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Look, I respect your and @Vernon Merrill's style of play very much. In my heart, that's all I'd like to do is sail my Rattler or Prince around all day and hunt player traders like a true Privateer or Pyrate.  But where you and your fellow #UsualSuspects get your eyerolls from the larger community is in your blind Like-button-mashing on any change or suggestion the dev's dribble our way, especially the ones that have such obvious defects and negative impacts on RvR, PvP, and game styles that don't fit the ROVER/Raker creed.

The sycophantic tendency of blind dev support has not been good for the game.  I don't think I've ever seen you be critical of a change and that feels bad man, when so many of those changes have clearly deleterious consequences on game play diversity, players, and the long term prospects of this game. And that to me is very sad.

Hey Wraith, you know our little forum PvP is just for fun....

Listen, there are TONS of things that we disagree with the devs about...  the difference is that we don't immediately start threads about how "Change X is RUINING THE GAME!!!!" (not saying YOU do, just making an example...).  Many of the times, my "likes" of Admins posts are more about supporting experiments to change mechanics while the came can still be altered pre-release.  I, for one, will ALWAYS be disappointed that the OW is so static and lacks the ability to have improvements and destruction based on player inputs.  However, I realize that this is not a AAA-level studio with unlimited money and resources.  It's just the way it is....

And what you're not realizing is that for every patch 27 that brought the game more in line with MY preferred playstyle, there have MULTIPLE changes which I have NOT enjoyed and/or thought have been actually bad for the game.  Reinforcement zones I think are rubbish....  Patrol zones I think are rubbish....  The whole concept of "Mods"I think is rubbish...  I think most of the ROVERS would agree with this.

But its not MY (or ROVERS) game to change....   It's the devs.  

SOOOOO, in the end, I can either choose to play the game as delivered, and applaud or CONSTRUCTIVELY critique and new changes, without resorting to breathless hyperbole....

BUT, I cannot in good conscience, mercilessly flame, drag, question the intelligence of, or personally insult a group of people who have provided me with both 5000+ hours of mostly enjoyment for $40 (less than 1 cent/hr.), but more importantly, provided the means by which I have met a great group of guys that I communicate with on a daily basis.

• Like 9

@Wraith My point was, if I wasn't so clear, is that that PvP you say you want won't happen in bellonas on the USA coast. Mainly because the pvpers are poor and don't live there.

But I suppose I did say you would just say I have no idea, your more experienced. I've been playing for 2 weeks.

I wish all I did was just try different things all the time, on different ships, with different mods, at different areas, with different players. If I did that I might have some idea of what I'm talking about.

See you tomorrow at Havana in your 6 bellonas.

Edited by traitorous mctraitoro

Let me speak a little truth to power:

There are certain players (and clans) who are superior players. Elite in both player skill and modded ships. As a less skilled, and less well equipped player, getting into a fight with the elites is in anything close to an equal number of ships is a guaranteed loss. That may be fun for the elite, but not so much for the lesser skilled and/or modded player.

So if Christendom or Wraith or Banished or any of a number of other elite players wander the US Coast, why would we charge out there for a fight that will pretty much guarantee us to lose our ships? 

This game has a serious issue with the PERCEIVED power of the modules and books. The Book of 5 Rings, for example, is out of reach for noobs and most lesser players. The elites have earned their gold, fully equipped ships. They have earned their reputations. They can have their fun by fighting other elites. Don't complain that recreational players prefer to conserve resources by not engaging an elite.

Solution? Lessen module power,. Lessen Book power. Narrow the gap between the elite and the recreational player. Lessen the cost to replace ships so the recreational player doesn't fear losing a major investment in time and resources. Bring back duras so a recreational player can lose a ships several times before having to replace it.

#noteliteandhonestaboutit

#Istillenjoythegameanyway

• Like 5