Game-Labs Forum

RNG Crafting or All good things come to those who wait.

RNG or waiting for the good quality  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Basing it of a first rate.

• I like how ships are getting crafted as its today, you put in resources, click a button, its either blue, purple or golden, totally random
    • Spend a certain amount of resources so blue ship is 1x the resources, purple is 2x and gold is 4x, click the craft button and its guaranteed quality i would love this
    • Spend 1x resources for blue and craft it immediately, spend 1,5x resources and get crafted over 4 days to make it purple, or spend 2x resource have it crafted over a duration of 8 days and it turns out golden.
  2. 2. Refits on the ship

• Refits from certain ports like before. (Might be good for RvR, but more ports needs to have the refits so not 1 nation can have the meta build available)
    • Bring extra resources for that specific type of refit you want and smack it onto the ship
    • RNG refits as its today.

i think rng bulding is better because it fills up shops and increaces the variety of ships. also makes very good ships more valuable. also i think a standard blue ship is perfectly siuted to sink a gold ship, its more up to the captain who sails it.

• Like 5

the issue i see with qualities being dependent on how many ressources you put into it is, that people will think in order to be competetive, they MUST at all costs have a super gold 5 slots ship - which will then result in less PvP because 1) Players are not gonna produce as many golden ships as current regular ones and 2) they are less likely to actually risk them, since they were way more expensive.

Also goes for RvR - "Only join the PB if you got a full gold 5/5 ship"

Actually think the 3 slot system without any RNG was fine. It's human nature to always want the best thing possible - When golden ships required crafting notes, noone was sailing anything other than goldies.

Thogh the option where you have to wait longer (a couple days) to get a better quality sounds better to me

• Like 7

Also u have to factor in those well established players and clans can afford to do this all the time thus making gold ships priceless where's the average player cannot compete again a balance issue, I do like the idea of the waiting a few days for better rarity but like I say balance would be a concern

My vision is,

Your crafting level keeps increasing, crafted a hundred 6th-7th rates, you get expert in small ships, you have slightly increased your RNG. You craft 200 more small ship, you become Master Small Ship Crafter, your RNG is same slighty higher, but you can put more resources to increase your chance and with required upgrades, you are able to trim your ship with a good chance. Still RNG. But rewards the crafters.

So 1/100 Gold RNG, becomes 2/100 in expert crafter, becomes 4/100 in master crafter for selected class only plus %10 chance of selected trim or normal chance of any trim.

So additional resources for ship and trim are required to increase the chance. Still not very high rate of success, still many blue ships are crafted.

So this is a basic outline, all the numbers are random, can be improved much more, making the Ship Crafter as a career path.

• Like 1

It's a very simple test of continuity of vision and logic to decide what's best for crafting.

Is random a test of anything? Besides luck, no.

Is adding materials a test of ability to manage? yes

does added effort of taking ports for certain refits add to the logistics and meta-play of the game? Yes

Basically you'd have to be an idiot to think RNG is in any way a self bolstering aspect of advancement. It's the least effort way of doing anything, it yields pathetic results which is why most game only use RNG for loot boxes, because how much more arbitrary can life get than having a set of numbers decide your skill in crafting? Let's just apply that to real life and see how many people enjoy "randomness" as the decider of success.

If you can't add layers or depth to a skill system, best to leave it blank because RNG isn't a real-life factor in how well you can ride a bike, or carve a block of wood. It's counter-intuitive and the argument that you can "trick" people into crafting more by "forcing" them to craft 20 blue ships to get a purple is a chaotic non-solution.

Edited by Slim McSauce

29 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Personally I always feel something on my stomach when I click on craft button. 

I dont know you guys, but I miss a lot the days the game showed me something unexpected.

I believe we require more of those moments of uncertainty to keep us interested in the game.

that's how gambling is suppose to make you feel is it not?

The reward should be on yourself not on random chance.

Edited by Slim McSauce

Random means cheap and large amount of ships people don't want (blue) get sold cheap to find their endevours of crafting a gold. Whilst also allowing a newby crafter to get a nice lift every now and again when they accidentally create gold.

+ I love buying these purple ships with random wood types that people think are worthless, so sell nice and cheap. Because woods people don't like, I love. So it's a win for me.

More mats and labor hours makes the most sense for reliably craftable purple and gold ships and modules/upgrades, which is my preference. 

Otherwise, I'd rather wait however long or use whatever mats needed for the quality ship or module I want to build.     Something that important left to luck just means I'll get screwed.    I'll probably have to build hundreds or thousands to get a purple, much less a gold ship.   And without labor contracts, that just isn't going to happen.    So far, I'm 0-7 on purples or golds, and now I can't craft anything but repairs and ships that don't require a permit.   That craft level 50 looks pretty on that "Building and Crafting" window though.   I'm relearning after being away for a long time, so I'm trying to keep an open mind, but rng doesn't make much sense to me.

This is the first game with crafting that I've played, so it's kinda capped my imagination.      I like sailing around looking for mats, enjoying the scenery, and setting up a trade/resource extraction/production network to build quality ships and components for my fleet, especially my trading fleet.   I liked the additional components and multileveled refinement of raw resources.    It gave additional items to trade.    I only fought so i could get the xp to sail bigger ships.   Now battle is a requirement to craft, and it's still a crap shoot (that I'm crapping out on so far) as to whether it was worth the extra effort.    It was cool having a game where I didn't have to, once I attained the rank to build or sail any ship, to have fun.   I didn't realize that had changed when I set my perks, either.