Game-Labs Forum

Does sloped armour matter for thickness?

Njord

Question

I would really like to know whether shots ricochet depending on angle, simply because of the angle alone or because the angle actually increases effective armour thickness. Is sloped armour actually implemented as mechanic? Is the penetration model actually 3D, meaning horizontal aswell as vertical angles are considered? Does anyone have some factual information? @admin @Ink

T54_Training_Parola_Tank_Museum_3.jpg

The reason I am asking is I have tried a few fir wood build combinations and they give too much ricochet potential in my opinion.

Edited by Sovereign
  • Like 1

2 answers to this question

Yeah the slope has a lot to do with it, not just increased thickness because of the geometry. 

Combination of both. 

Fir bounces because you get enough angle. Same with live oak (just you need less angle). Think about deflecting a bullet with a piece of thin mild steel plate—you need lots of angle. Now think of a piece of steel 25% thicker...it’ll bounce at less of an angle because it is stronger and can absorb more of the energy. The bullet can’t just punch through it or move enough metal around to embed...some energy is transferred into deforming (denting) the plate while the rest stays with the projectile, which is forced to change direction. Now think about instead of a piece of soft mild steel, we use a tougher grade of steel. What about aluminum plate? What about a piece of plastic sheet? Every time you change the “toughness” of the material...the angle or thickness you need to bounce changes as well. 

An angled wooden hull works similarly...just with splinters added.

Now, in game I’m not sure how the damage model calculates it...but I feel that is one part of combat that it does well at modeling. A large ship, even fir, bounces small shot well because it’s still pretty thick. Add an angle and it’ll bounce larger shot. But no amount of angle will make a fir 6th rate bounce a charged 42pd long at 100m. (An angle where it will bounce on the sides effectively becomes a bow or stern rake)

And that models real life physics well. You can’t stop a large caliber round point blank with a sheet of plywood, even angled. Gain range or add thickness and you can. 

EDIT:

Yes, horizontal and vertical angles matter in game. This is why a ship with tumblehome is easier to bounce with than those without. Also why heeling matters for bouncing. One of the weak spots of the LO/WO Cartagena L’Ocean are the sides above the tumblehome. But don’t tell anyone, it’s a secret. 😁

Edited by William Death
  • Like 2