Game-Labs Forum
Tea Bag

The Academy

I haven't built one yet, since I can't be bothered with crafting at all lately but I am fairly certain that you need it to craft crew related upgrades and maybe skillbooks. British Gunners or Nassau Borders for example.

Edited by Sovereign

I'm looking for more info on this myself, and it looks like it will be a while before I earn the doubloons to build one to tinker and find out.    I'm also curious about what upgrading it and my shipyard does, and if it unlocks anything else.   I see where academies are used for books, and they for manufacturing some modules, but I don't know the particulars or mechanics.     I do know that the devs say you get to keep your books after the next partial wipe and launch wipe, so obtaining or crafting them won't be a waste of time and effort.    I can't even build the upgrades I have the mats for, like copper hull plating, so I must be missing something else, and clearly have a lot to learn/relearn(been gone since the '17 wipe).      Other than the new wood types and their additional tailoring abilities, I can't say I care much for the changes in crafting.