Game-Labs Forum
Latron

What made you quit the game?

20 hours ago, Magnum said:

THIS!

Get another separate server and bring back SEA TRIALS! --- just as it was when you foisted "open world" and "port battles" on us --- or are you so filled with hubris you deleted it?

You had a really really REALLY fun game with lotsa players  --- and you broke it!

They said Legends wasn't successful because few played it but, it wasn't advertised. I was lucky enough to see it mentioned on the NA forums, not the NA Steam page. With Scull and Bones on the horizon, their choice to shelve Legends may come back to bite them.

I have returned and found improvements to the technical aspects of the game, such as towing, transferring and graphics. Missions have been expanded and will continue to expand, which was needed. This is great, however the core reason for my leaving was the numbingly bland sails and unfortunately that has remained unchanged. I left because of the open worlds insane time commitments. Commitments that have only grown worse for traders as profits on goods have been made prohibitively distance reliant. The idea that a substantial part of NA's population is sailing AFK should have been speaking volumes. Yet the seas have remained content free. 

Would it kill to:

1) Put a few more sealed bottles out there? I've been back for three weeks and have found only one.

2) Double the NPC's. Yea, I know you think you have enough or possibly too many...you don't.

3) Add some content to the sea travel. A whale, a life raft with a sailor who can be turned in for some money, wrecks, water spouts, gunnery practice, charts, maps, sailing practice, a sexton...something.

I want to play your game. I love the era and the look of this game, but I'm going to be bored right out of it again and this time I may not return.

Edited by Cockeyed Callaway
Grammer

9 hours ago, Cockeyed Callaway said:

They said Legends wasn't successful because few played it but, it wasn't advertised. I was lucky enough to see it mentioned on the NA forums

It is known... ;)

We need to be patient. I think they'll check if they have the motivation to try Legends properly after OW is well out the door.

• Like 2

One simple thing made me quit. Being tagged over and over after an hour long battle. Basically being held hostage after every battle. For people that have jobs, family and other things in life, NA was simply unplayable realisticly. You knew after every battle you were either losing your ship or being greifed for hours on end. NA seemed to be geared towards people who had retired, weren’t working or had loads of spare time.

Now I haven’t played since and I don’t know if this is still a problem. But I’d love to see a fix if so. I want to play again, but no reasonable working person can find the time to play often enough.  Because of that NA will never be playable again for me. 

Some will say you just want to gank and get off easily. But for me I only ever enjoyed even battles and challenging battles. Now with battles open for weaker side there is no need to worry. And honestly, if you need 4 hours or more to play a game and do 1 battle who do you think is going to play it? 

Edited by Sureshot
  • Like 5

I joined a  fun game with 1000s of players online. Easy access to ships and combat action. Every night. Big battles. Great fun.

I left a game with a couple of hundred players online. No action. Some closed communities made battles between them. But too much work to keep basic fun is required.

I log in a few times just to see another great potential killed by wrong decision making.

47 minutes ago, fox2run said:

I joined a  fun game with 1000s of players online. Easy access to ships and combat action. Every night. Big battles. Great fun.

I left a game with a couple of hundred players online. No action. Some closed communities made battles between them. But too much work to keep basic fun is required.

I log in a few times just to see another great potential killed by wrong decision making.

We'll have open battles for the weaker side in the next patch, should give it a try again

And perhaps meanwhile try patrols, the nassau shallow one usually is quite some fun

• Like 3

After release of NA, Legends should turn into a testbed. Good ideas to be moved to NA. 

I think Legends will be a succesful game in the future :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sureshot said:

Now I haven’t played since and I don’t know if this is still a problem. But I’d love to see a fix if so. I want to play again, but no reasonable working person can find the time to play often enough.  Because of that NA will never be playable again for me. 

You see it around capital areas still I believe but elsewhere hardly at all. 

If I had the time or actual care I would probably have written a rebuttal to much that has been posted here although there are some points that I can agree with whole-heartily. I have never really quit the game. I have taken extended breaks after playing hours on end burning myself out. I found enjoyment in the search and hurt of PvP outside the zones, I like to use time to do trade runs and work on other things in the background, I even do not mind grinding PvE with friends and clanmates. But I always take a break from the game spanning an extended time when I come to a point where the game is starting to aggravate me and if I do not stop then I would probably just never pick the game up again. 

Big issue I do see especially after all these years is the progress people have made. Takes away a vital goal for many who need an objective to strive for. Hard to even come with a balanced solution as well that does not hurt the casual players in comparison to the individuals that are able to focus majority of their day playing this game and ranking quickly. 

Edited by Velhelm Von Marrius

PTW DLC ships.  A disaster from which the game will never really recover.  Now an infestation. The lack of outrage from the community is/was depressing.

Patrols - meaningless joyless lobby based insta-pvp gank fest, designed to plug a hole in low pop but backfired to be final nail in coffin for ow pvp and thus ironically the reason for their continued popularity. You can just opt out of these at least, but backward thinking linked to below:

Legends - Time wasted on it and the whole mentality of it.  NA should be a living breathing player driven open world, Devs have limited resources yes but so many good ideas and extra content could have been added instead of wasting energy and resources on this crap. I have absolutely 0 interest in a lobby based duelling game.

Some people might like these things. I don't. The game has become boring because of lack of players and lack of content. Resources put into endless tweaking and short term fixes for low pop instead of introducing new content and just makes situation worse. Loud voices on the forums but the wrong ones were listened too.

• Like 5

How can dlc ships even be a problem? You realize how cheap a surprise is? It can do everything a herc or req can... people that still harp on that make me laugh. Even more so considering the new damage model.

DLC ships are just a convenient excuse.  People don't want to spend the 30 bucks and begrudge those who did.  Now if he had said DLC ships in Port Battles, I would tend to agree.  DLC / P2W ships or items have no business being in end game RVR content.

What our dear admin has yet to figure out, cheap, insta and easily replaceable ships make for great PVP and put more sailors out on the water.  If he was smart he'd do something similar to 3rd and 4th rates, but perhaps put them on a longer cooldown than 24hours.  

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 5

Like i said, loud voices, wrong people

15 hours ago, Phaserburn said:

How can dlc ships even be a problem? You realize how cheap a surprise is? It can do everything a herc or req can... people that still harp on that make me laugh. Even more so considering the new damage model.

Yes i'm aware of how to craft ships. But how come Hercs are everywhere then? Why do you hardly ever see a surp outside the shallows? Herc wrecks a surp unless it is carro/tank fit in which case Herc easily disengages. If you would like to test this I will be online Sunday Evening. You one of these that sails in DLC all day and think you are good player cos you win? Teak/wo 14 knots, turning like a spinning top, tacking through wind at +6 knots with 4 bow chasers "look at me mummy, I'm elite, the new damage models, the new damage models!" Thats what makes me laugh.

Edited by Hullabaloo

14 hours ago, Christendom said:

People don't want to spend the 30 bucks and begrudge those who did

I bought flag DLC and Prolific forger. so i do not begrudge someone spending 30 bucks no.  You are wrong....again. Loud voices, wrong voices

13 hours ago, jodgi said:

I might be loud but I'm a lot less whiny

I post my opinion when asked and i get insulted. Insulted by people I know to be universally disliked and ridiculed by the mostly sensible people who play this game. If you do not even have the wit to see the inherent problem with having non-cosmetic items in a game that you pay for with real money then nothing else you have to say is of any interest to me.

13 hours ago, jodgi said:

Well, I could be "wrong people" but I'm still here. I might be loud but I'm a lot less whiny.

You are a moderator no? You think it's ok to insult me - call me whiney' when I answer a question in a post 'Why did you quit the game? in a somewhat negative way? Yeah I quit the game cos it's a great game and I have absolutely no criticisms of it, I wouldn't want to sound whiny. Excellent moderating mate.

Edited by Hullabaloo
  • Like 1

This is hard to say if I actually quit.  I did quit playing for about 8 or 9 months after a nation I played with was whittled down to 1 port.  Though there have been many changes since then and I had just switched nations before I quit which forced a start over with just a cutter and that may have increased the concern of game playability.  However, since I returned I have found some new meaning in the game but at a price of consistency.  I can no longer rely on anything in the game.  Like a business as a player I need to have a plan that I can move forward with and retain my interest in a certain area of the game that makes my playing worthwhile. (albeit to me)

The game is set up with too much chance or gamble happenings that makes my type of gameplay inconsistent and unrewarded from time to time.  It is not the risk of being suddenly caught by a marauding bunch of DLC ships as one would think.   I am not a PVP player but I do fight when I have to, I do defend my area of activity and participate in clan mass AI/player battles .   I am, however,  excluded from Port Battles by the current rule set.  I cannot depend on my home port being defended by a Clan that has switched sides or quit playing altogether.   I fight and sink 4 straight AI ships (tortuous waste of time IMHO) and find no doubloons and sometimes this is over several days.  Doubloons that are required to pop around adjusting contracts compete with other players for valuable resources or to sell ships I have crafted in the only main market ports. 

I fish while on long runs for resources or trade items for Real generation in order to find bottles for resource/rare mod items wrecks.  This too is inconsistent though the income from fish is worthwhile and the provisions to build ships appreciates the efforts, the salt and types of fish seem irrelevant.   The type of fish, I know, is based on certain areas, there are maps of where the fish types are and I used to use these when types of fish meant something other than quantity of provisions.  The finding of bottles is supposed to be inconsistent but now appears to have a weird sort of consistent action.  When I hear my clan mates complain they have not found any bottles in a while, I do realize I have had that some luck.  Then they suddenly report they found one  and then two bottles.  The next day suddenly I find two after weeks of drought with no change in what I am doing.   Is this pure chance or hard programming, I am not sure.

The hardest part to manage is the inconsistency of products to trade for reals.  It is nearly impossible to have a regular trading route in this game.  You cannot plan or build your corporation with this sort of inconsistencies.  I don't mean I have to find fine fabrics or parisian furniture all the time, though it would be nice to find a demand based request for this in game.  The game is not a transport or merchant game at all which is something I thought it might be.  Yes, Naval Action but the merchant effort with the risk of attack is what every game with this amount of effort into transport has been (Elite, etc). 

The game's only area of being  consistent is in its effort to limit me  in crafting ships over a given time (labor hours).   Even if I have spent days getting stockpiled resources, I cannot generate several ships at one sitting to take care of it.   It is consistent in  limiting me to one tow every physical day to set up a sale of any ship I craft.  It is consistent in that it must be  in a capturable town for the odd chance of purple or gold level ship.  No effort, skill built or knowledge obtained on my part can change those odds. 

So what makes me quit?  It is the inconsistency of the game as I play it.  If I cannot be consistent in my game time with an accomplishment then I will lose interest and find some other games.  I am already supplementing my time in games but others but for a few months this was the only game I played and that consistency did make me buy the needless Flag DLC.

Empty seas, boredom, too much time/effort vs result ratio to do anything in the game (and growing worse patch after patch).

Basically: this game was no longer fun and too time demanding for my taste

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

The OW didn't fit the play style of the group of gamers I belong to, the economy was a drag, and "speedboat" mechanic was terrible IMHO. I talked about a dozen of my friends into it and we all bought the beta and had a blast with the battle instances... wanted more of that, seemed a lot of people liked that so Legends seemed a natural return to what worked.

Legends was hope to get something out of our investment,  but sadly see it it shelved permanently???  There isn't even a forum for it here...

Edited by SYN_Bloody-Bandy

6 hours ago, SYN_Bloody-Bandy said:

The OW didn't fit the play style of the group of gamers I belong to, the economy was a drag, and "speedboat" mechanic was terrible IMHO. I talked about a dozen of my friends into it and we all bought the beta and had a blast with the battle instances... wanted more of that, seemed a lot of people liked that so Legends seemed a natural return to what worked.

Legends was hope to get something out of our investment,  but sadly see it it shelved permanently???  There isn't even a forum for it here...

Legends was ill-conceived garbage-y grindy blah. Duel, small, and large battle rooms should definitely be turned on in the game though. I fail to understand why they were ever removed.

I really liked this game. I had loads of fun, with a handful of SYN members, in the arena battles. If they had kept some form, of these types of battles then I guess most of us would be playing it still. In fact, none of us have played it since the arena went.

I was quite happy to put in an hour or two, a couple of times a week, but I just wouldn’t have the time to play an open world game.

• Like 2

For PvE-Server only:

First the good thing about NA what brought me here.

Nice looking age of sail ships with good ship to ship combat and sailing characteristics.

The sound of wood, guns and crew voices feels immersive.

Now, the bad. And let me qoute myself what I have written 3 years ago:

Now I have to say it is worse than 3 years ago:

There used to be Missions that are not port and ship rank locked.

Just yesterday I got frustrared. I have a Surprise and 200 men. Sailing around for days finding targets. Around Basse-Terre I found a few LGV.

It took me around one hour to find one. One!

Capturing it, I was rewarded with 200 xp.

This is a waste of my time and not fun at all.

I just went back to La Habana and started doing Rank 6 Missions in a Rattlesnake again.

Why is there no Mission-Generator?

Let me choose what kind of encounter with whatever ship and NPC ships I want. 

Why are there so few NPC-Ships in OW?

Three years ago I had not so much trouble finding suitable ships to hunt.

Somewhere I read that the trader tool should be killed too, well go ahead. I dont get it.

I dare to say "Kill the PvP-Server" and bring consensual PvP to the PvE-Server.

How about a Background-Simulation like in Elite Dangerous?

Time again and again some developers try to make "the ultra hardcore PvP" game.

They are the niche of the niche games, if they survive.

What is your vision Game Labs?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SYN_Skydance said:

I really liked this game. I had loads of fun, with a handful of SYN members, in the arena battles. If they had kept some form, of these types of battles then I guess most of us would be playing it still. In fact, none of us have played it since the arena went

It's the same with many of my friends.

I could settle nicely with anti-gank patrol zones, too bad that seems impossible in OW setting.

I have high hopes for the duel PZ, though. I'll live there unless OW psychology somehow manages to shit on the good intentions and min-maxes the fun out of that too. (Even one lost Bellona a week will put me under an eco and dubs grind pressure my fun-loving mind can't sustain)

Edited by jodgi
spelling
  • Like 1

I was a solo pirate who actually played as a pirate and made a great living attacking trade ships for good. 

Between endless teleports,  battles timers that stayed open for ages and thr " fair fight" BR stuff it made it impossible to make a real living being a true pirate. Couple that with thr changes in freeports and cost and economy the game became unplayable unless you where hardecore and joined a big clan and played war games....solo hunting became just stupid.

• Like 1