Game-Labs Forum
Latron

What made you quit the game?

Many of us have spent hundreds or thousands of hours playing NA, but eventually people are going to stop coming back. It's just how video games are. We can't be playing the same game forever. So whether it was because of boredom or the addition of a feature that you didn't like, now is a chance to tell the devs what the final nail in the coffin was for you. Some of us here probably have much to complain about, but I don't want to see endless rants and drama. I just want to know what few things made you decide that you were done playing or that you wanted to take an extended break from the game, and hopefully let the devs know what some players are wanting out of NA.

For me, I grew increasingly frustrated by the ship balance being all out of whack which turned the meta of the game into something that made my preferred playstyle nearly impossible to have a good time with. I want to be able to have a fair fight without being destroyed by an OP ship using cheesy tactics to make it so I don't have a chance. There are other changes to the game that I wasn't happy with, but balance was the big one.

Edited by Latron
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, Latron said:

For me, I grew increasingly frustrated by the ship balance being all out of whack which turned the meta of the game into something that made my preferred playstyle nearly impossible to have a good time with. I want to be able to have a fair fight without being destroyed by an OP ship using cheesy tactics to make it so I don't have a chance. There are other changes to the game that I wasn't happy with, but balance was the big one.

• Whats a fair fight for you? Even by numbers/ even by skill / even by BR etc....
  • What kind of cheesy tactics?
  • Ship balance?

Details would be great.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, z4ys said:
  • Whats a fair fight for you? Even by numbers/ even by skill / even by BR etc....
  • Ship balance?

Details would be great.

I didn't really want to get into a long discussion about just that. It was more of just an example.

• Like 2

Mod stacking

Unbalanced Economy

TAXES

MOD STACKING

Over the years through many mods and wipes this game has been marching steadily towards being a joyless slog.

I really enjoyed this game when I first started playing. Things were fairly inexpensive gaming wise, meaning that I got to level 50 crafting so I could build whatever I wanted to sail and fight. I had enough spare gold to build a ship for anyone who wanted one. I sold quality ships at fair prices and I gave away loads of free ships. One of my favorite things would be to give a new player one million gold to get him started. :)

I really enjoyed using up my 2000 labor hours each day and that alone gave me enough reason to log in every single day to maximize their usefulness. It was fun being a part of a clan and supplying materials and equipment while being trained on how to properly sail and fight a ship. Losing was actually fun sometimes and I actually made friends with several "enemies" after having a good fight with them because losing a war ship or an Indiaman full of goods wasn't a completely devastating and crippling loss.

The game was very playable and it seemed that everyone was willing to fight at almost anytime because it didn't hurt to lose a ship that could be easily replaced.

Then the powers that be decided that this game didn't mean anything unless it hurt. It was said that there needed to be a consequence to losing a first rate or any ship for that matter. There were no happy winners unless the losers were punished in a meaningful way.

So the economy was trashed, ships got to be very expensive in both gold and materials along with notes and permits and bureaucracy and friggin' taxes! I pay enough damn taxes in real life without this game bleeding off an extra 10% on both sides of a transaction. Now when I rebuilt and went out I was ruthlessly ganked into the poor house more times than I cared to rebuild. I've tried several different nations and also went back to my Pirate roots for a short while. Now I'm stuck in a nation where English is hardly spoken and I'm kinda stranded lol.  This game successfully turned itself into an actual chore for me and I've completely lost interest in ever playing in the PVP server again.  What's the point?

Once in a rare while I drop into the PVE server just to sail around for a bit and admire the beautiful ship models and do a quick trade run or blow up a few AI ships. Then I'm gone again for weeks at a time. PVE server used to be a lot more fun but now you can't even talk to someone from another nation that you run into on the open sea.

NA Legends brought the slightest glimmer of hope for a short time. It was like my air combat game IL2 where planes had their own strengths and weaknesses but there are no ridiculous mods or books that make one Bf109 superior to another Bf109. The difference between the planes was the pilot. But that looks like it has been abandoned also. I guess they noticed that people were actually having fun so that had to be put to a stop.

I apologize for the long rant. I do miss the old days in this game when it was fun.  Well. That's my story of how I went from a very happy enthusiastic player of this game to someone who really couldn't care less about it at this point. (It's just so damn pretty to look at though)

Edited by The Wren
  • Like 10

Not really quit it, still logging in every now and then to check

Total time spent on the game - 5'463 hours on my main account, according to Steam. That's about 0.0073 $/hour, I'd say I got my value out of it. Anything gets boring / repetitve after a while.

Some RL (mostly work) related changes also had an effect, of course.

• Like 9

I quit for 5 months earlier this year when RNG was added back in crafting, but I've been back for a few months now even though it's still there.

• Like 3

1500 or so hours here so to chime in with here, I haven't quit the game but I'm not logging in to play, just check up on things mainly because US prime time is so barren of action it's hard to justify spending more than a couple minutes at a time online @z4ys

1.5x-2.0 BR is the fairest spread imo. Skill is a factor but so is gear so this spread is more like 3.0x in the current meta, but that's too much gap for regular players to handle. a 3v1 for the average play seems very much impossible until you get geared out which doesn't make pvp better contrary to popular belief, the skill gap would still exist if mods/ship types were less varied, the % of players who would be considered "good" would be higher,which is good because 25% of people running the game is better than 2%

Kiting, hugging, rage boarding/halt boarding, intentional ramming/blocking. to name a few.

• Ship balance?

Some ships getting special treatment like LGQ, Herc, as well non DLC ships like the 3rd Rate, Ingermanland, and Essex not getting any attention at all and it being that way for a long time.

On top of it all a lack of clearly presented vision that leaves everything up to question so that discussion very often goes no where as we all propose drastic game changing alterations that don't line up with the current vision (whatever that may be because we can only guess at this point) and require and completely new vision to be discovered..just to implement the suggestion.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Latron said:

I didn't really want to get into a long discussion about just that. It was more of just an example.

What you wrote is to general and does not help to understand.

Example: even fight for me is when 4 80Br ships fight a 600+ br ship. Does it mean the same for you?

Cheesy tactic is pushing people out of boarding (for me)

Ship balance: all ships should have same caliber and gun count (for me)

Does it fit to your pov? You see we have to speculate about your reasons. Make it more clear.

At least I am not here to judge anyone because of his opinion I just want to know why.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 3

Just now, z4ys said:

Example: even fight for me is when 4 80Br ships fight a 600+ br ship. Does it mean the same for you?

Does it fit to you pov? You see we have to speculate about your reasons. Make it more clear.

At least I am not here to judge anyone because of his opinion I just want to know why.

this doesn't fit and you know it. Everything else is a  perfectly reasonable stance to hold. 4 80 br ships is 320 BR and fits within a 0.5-1.5 BR spread limit for Rules of Engagement.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

this doesn't fit and you know it. Everything else is a  perfectly reasonable stance to hold. 4 80 br ships is 320 BR and fits within a 0.5-1.5 BR spread limit for Rules of Engagement.

Do not get triggered. I exaggerated to make it clear that only reasons that leave no room for speculation are helpful.

But a pickle with 42pds .... would be nice 😉

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, z4ys said:

Does it fit to your pov? You see we have to speculate about your reasons. Make it more clear.

It was just an example for how someone could mention what annoys them because I knew some people might make long posts going over every single feature that they disagree with. So if you want it in more detail, Slim pretty much got it down.

• Like 2

No loot when you fight against the odds, no chance to log off.

Looking for a challenge feels like punishment while ganking scum gets rewarded.

Also dead RvR

Edited by Ganking Simulator
  • Like 4

Seasons is normal in gaming.Sometimes playing NA exclusively.Other times timeshare with other games.

Nothing really special that puts me off, just a lot of popular mechanics i dislike but nothing really makes me leave for good. Game is just very fun for me. Even in Peace server, a naval combat per day keep the fun rolling. And is enough for a family guy.

If I have to nominate 3 things I dislike ( but do not make me stop ); one, crafting system - modules should be a ingredient for the ship building and not slots, hence no stacking and more depth to it ( and more logistics, sorry). Second, ship collision, especially keeping momentum ( push away from boarding ) and no standing rigging damaged in a hard collision head on. Finally three, clan wars. It is a killer and metaaltgaming. I like historical national warfare much more.

No need to complain all the time though and driving people away from the game just for your bile pleasure. ( even logging in to make sure global gets spammed with naysaying... is horrible) - not anyone in special, just for the haters that do it for some reason...

Playing a game one doesn't like makes no sense. Hobby time means fun. Hence doing things that are fun.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, z4ys said:
  • Ship balance?

Details would be great.

Very good questions.  Without details the OP opinion could be interpreted so variably that it is difficult to understand what would make the game better.

Well at least we haven't heard someone say they've quit because the game is no fun.  "Fun' is meaningless.  It simply doesn't describe anything specific.

I still play.  For me fun is the communication, interaction, trade, and teamwork between players.  I really enjoy the;  long sails, option to navigate, and chance to earn without combat.  If the Devs remove those opportunities, the game would hold little appeal.

• Like 4

You nail it Macjimm. Definitely would have reduce playtime long ago if it was arena mode only aka.a world of sailing warships.

Really like the openworld type of games, NA included.

• Like 6

Still like the game. If I only was focus on PvP ore solo playing, still think would have fun in it. But tried a bit RvR in the danish nation. Just to hard work. I know it is because my lack of skill. We see plenty of players turn Nations in to a succes. RvR matters much in this game, so if you suck at it. Well the price is high.

• Like 1

I will not quit this game ever, but I take breaks.

(The current one being the longest ever though)

Now the breaks I took formerly were due to:

• Need to relax (when RvR was kind of intense) :huh:
  • Repetitive boring hunting evenings, lack of players.
  • Long sailings, grinding monotony & lack of players.

This game is powerful enough to keep me very much interested even when I take a break from playing. 

Edited by Celtiberofrog
  • Like 4

*burning out (3k hours in game)

*dwidling numbers of player population (if you ever played on full server going back is hard, despite the fact  i remambered times of under 100 pop on closed testing)

*personal feeling of lack of potential realisation.(i guess there is too much to write about)

*very long early access/testing phase as for mmo type game had it's effect on all above.

Edited by manuva85
spelling
  • Like 1

1.-Like batman said:

4 hours ago, Batman said:

Time to invest ≠ fun

2.-RvR is done 

3.-PvP balance

4.-Lack of main content

5.-Lack of information/communication with community.

6.-Devs hiding info of the hotfixes

7.-Takes months to fix exploits/bugs

8.-Bad implementation of the DLC model (IMO)

9.-0 solutions to new player retention

10.-IMO Devs dont know what kind of game they want/they are making

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, Trashumi Cubanwara said:

1.-Like batman said:

2.-RvR is done 

3.-PvP balance

4.-Lack of main content

5.-Lack of information/communication with community.

6.-Devs hiding info of the hotfixes

7.-Takes months to fix exploits/bugs

8.-Bad implementation of the DLC model (IMO)

9.-0 solutions to new player retention

10.-IMO Devs dont know what kind of game they want/they are making

I think they know they just haven't told us for whatever reason. Maybe they're afraid of what happens when you let the community in on development.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 4

I routinely come back, but I would echo a lot that's been said on here. In no particular order:

1) Too low of a relationship between time spent in game vs ability to progress. The crafting mechanics at this point are perhaps the best example. This ties directly to :

2) Poor service to solo players or small clans. Everything over the last year or more has been punishing for those who don't belong to a large clan and don't have the luxury to specialize in one thing. Prior to all that, I could be a largely one man operation and craft whatever ship I wanted. Sure, it might take a while, but it was doable. Now, not so much.

3) Also along with the previous, the elimination of AI fleet missions. I found them to be one of the most enjoyable and quick ways to have a decent sized battle without getting a dozen or more people together. Getting rid of those was a slap in the face to people like me who don't have the time to get together to hunt a PVP fleet with others.

4) I would also agree that it frequently seems like the developers change their minds on which way to take the game. Often, rather than a gentle nudge to a particular mechanic to tweak it if it seems it needs attention, something is completely scrapped or invented altogether. There has been way too much "chaos" for lack of a better word in the implementation or removal of various features, details, and characteristics. This includes marks, ship mods, ship handling characteristics, and things like that.

5) Selective enforcement of realism. I have a hard time believing protests from the developers that the driving force is realism (such as why even the protractor tool on the map was taken away for a while, or why certain other features work the way they do) when they decide to make every nation in Europe playable in the game. I know that they are Russian, but I'm sorry: not even in the wildest dreams of the Russian Empire did they have so much as a raft in the Caribbean. If this included the Pacific Northwest, then maybe. The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth? If we use the US flag in game as a way to tell the time period, then Naval Action encompasses anytime between 1795 and 1818 (which conveniently covers the French Revolutionary Wars, Napoleonic Wars, and War of 1812). The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth ceased to exist in 1795. A bit of a stretch. And Prussia? Well, I'm as much a fanboy for the Prussians as anyway, but they never had any Navy to speak of.

I have always liked Naval Action. But various decisions in its design since it went public have made it increasingly difficult to enjoy. I have a full time job, I have various hobbies, and I play other PC games. Therefore I don't really have the ability to play "19th Century Naval Career Simulator" that often. And because I can't devote 8 hours a day to the game, it makes it much harder to play when I can devote 1-2 hours.

• Like 7

Well

Lot of you say that devs dont know what kind of game they want. Its not true.

They want hardcore game. Probelm is that they have too small team for such a big project and community that don`t  know what they want. I hope that NA2 will be better.