Game-Labs Forum

Hull/sail/rum questions

dc1962

Question

Is there a recommended number of hull/sail or rum a ship should carry? I know you can only use one hull or sail repair during battle but how many rums can you use to get your crew healthy? I fought a Hercules in two quick battles ( I had a fleet) and he had repaired all his hull damage-which was considerable--from our first fight. Not sure how many hulls he had to carry to do this. If there is a guide out there on this subject, Id appreciate it.   

5 answers to this question

You can repair as often as you like in battle, you're only limited by the 12 minute cooldown timer between repairs.  (and however many repairs you carry in your hold)

EX: 

Repair hull, 12 minutes later you may repair hull again or sails. Then 12 minutes after that, you can repair again if you wish.

Crew (rum repair) runs on an independent (24? minutes? something like that) timer.

As to how much you should carry, a good rule of thumb is almost as much rum as your crew count (so for a ship with 240 crew, maybe carry 200 rum). For hull and sails, your best option is to look in battle and see how many repairs you use per cycle (there will be two numbers in the corner of the repair buttons, one tells you how much you have on board and the other number tells you how much it takes per use). Then, whatever that number is (say, 10x hull repairs to perform one hull repair in battle), multiply it by 3 (minimum) or 5 (recommended); that is how much to take. So you might take between 30 and 50 hull repairs in that ship, which amounts to 3-5 uses of in-battle repairs. 

OW repairs don't seem as efficient, so cautiously repair a little damage at a time till you feel comfortable. If it tells me I need to spend 30 hull repairs to get to 100% health, I might only spend 12 and get to maybe 80% health. Try to repair in battle when you can.

This thread may help you, there is a neat tool there that helps you calculate how much you need based on ship type and upgrades.

Once you play a variety of ships and upgrades, you get a feel for what you should take. Basically, the more HP the ship has, the more repairs you need per use. The more repair mods you carry, the more repairs you need per use. 

In general:

Rates: Hull/Rig/Rum

7th: 20/20/40
6th: 30/30/120
5th: 50/50/200 (small)
5th: 70/70/280 (large)
4th: 90/90/350 (light build)
4th: 120/110/400 (heavy build)
3rd: 125/115/500 (light build)
3rd: 160/140/550 (heavy build)
2nd: 180/150/750
1st: 200/160/900 (normal loadout)
1st: 280/190/1100 (hostility grind loadout)

With some ships you can get away with carrying more or less repairs, the above are just some guidelines you might use.

If you're not already doing it, choose the carpenter perk for your captain perks, its pretty much mandatory and is one of the very best perks you can choose.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

lol. I run with around 40% less reps than you. That is overkill hehe

Nah.

Last week I took a teak/wo Buc to grind up a shallow port. I took 200 hull reps. Repaired 3x in battle and 2 reps in OW. After all that, I had about 80-90 reps left. Just enough to go back to port safely, but instead I got a resupply from a friend since we thought we had some action coming up.

Oh, and a proper LO/WO first rate with carpenter mods? ~25-30+ hull reps per use. Figure another 30-40 to repair to a reasonable state in OW after a battle. You burn through them FAST.

And on frigates: My teak Endy takes 12 hull reps per use, IIRC. So 72 hull repairs is 6 uses. That amounts to 2-3 good brawls, or a number of smaller engagements. Still does ~14kn+ on the card.

Lots of players say I take to many repairs....I say they take too little. If I need to run away from the gank squad, I can delete repairs and pick up speed. I'd rather do that than lose a good ship because I ran out of reps, or maybe have to turn down a good fight because I'm out of repairs. 

But if running with a light repair loadout works for you, don't let me discourage you. I just stated what works for me, 100% of the time. Guaranteed not to be the first in a group to run out of repairs (there is always that one guy with 3x of each repair who has to go back to port after a battle or two).

• Like 1

I usually try and keep my hold at around 30-40% when sailing out. It allows me to carry enough repairs while still maintaining most of my speed.  

In my Prince, it’s around 25 Hull/25 rig and 40 rum. 

Endymion is usually 40/40/100....

Its usually enough for two tough battles.  Maybe one more if I can scavenge some repairs off the other player. 

Hope that helps a bit. 

17 minutes ago, William Death said:

7th: 20/20/40
6th: 30/30/120
5th: 50/50/200 (small)
5th: 70/70/280 (large)
4th: 90/90/350 (light build)
4th: 120/110/400 (heavy build)
3rd: 125/115/500 (light build)
3rd: 160/140/550 (heavy build)
2nd: 180/150/750
1st: 200/160/900 (normal loadout)
1st: 280/190/1100 (hostility grind loadout)

lol. I run with around 40% less reps than you. That is overkill hehe