Game-Labs Forum

DLC might be a useful tool to add to National identity.

Perhaps the Devs could build a dedicated pirate-only vessel class Queen Anne, Delivery, Revenge … I dunno. These Pirate DLC ships could only be sailed by Pirate Nation players. A captain purchasing a DLC Pirate vessel would receive 1 free forged paper to move to the Pirate Nation. 

A Nation-based DLC system could be extended to other Nations. For example, iconic ships such as the Connie, the Victory, the Santisima going to the US, GB and Spain (all after the wipe of course) with the ability to sail a Santisima only if you are Spanish (by moving out of the Spanish Nation you loose your ability to use the DLC Santisima). Some thought to dedicated nation ships is required of course and to maintain balance some ships should be available for more than one nation, but not all!. 

I might add that NA could, by this means, be converted into a free to play game without too much grief; if the existing players get 'upgraded' to be free-issued in a major DLC roll-out for all existing captains. 

To appease those who have bought the Requin (spit) and the Hercules (fart) these could be all-nation DLC purchasable and sailable ships and not be in a free issue all captains roll-out (the same would apply to all other existing DLC content).

If you haven't read as far as this you will already be typing saying that first rates must not be DLC. Well, the idea could be sold to other ship classes such as Cerberus, Surprise etc. instead. 

So, going forward we could have three ship classes:

Global Craftable - Non-nation Specific (ship builds would be more limited than current)

Global DLC - All nations can buy (at the moment this is the Herc and Req)

Nation DLC - A vessel only available to and sailable by members of a specific nation (DLC free issue to existing captains after wipe but would not include future designs).

Game now free to play and includes a nice National Identity in OW and battles.

Buster (steps off cloud 9)

Ouch!

Edited by Busterbloodvessel
More sense on fifth reading

If I ain't mistaken,  the only 7th-6th rate ship that is French is for now... Le Requin, meaning that, following OP's suggestion... only French could sail LRQ against any small ships anytime, anywhere.

Let me think of that...

Actually, it is an interesting suggestion !!

Joke aside, I like sailing every ships in game, keeping my single one in-game nationality. 🙂

btw, what about more French small ships ?

Edited by LeBoiteux

Line ship DLC will never happen and should never happen.

Nation specific ships severely limits what can be sailed, France/GB would have like 90% of the ships. Pirates don't need more advantages they need less.

But the Queen Anne's Revenge would be a dope ship to have in game.

7 minutes ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Pirates don't need more advantages they need less.

We have no special advantages over any other nation, a lot of the pirate players are skilled, which you're confusing with pirates have it easy... we'll just take all the territory again anyway so it really doesn't matter.

52 minutes ago, Hemp Amore said:

We have no special advantages over any other nation, a lot of the pirate players are skilled, which you're confusing with pirates have it easy... we'll just take all the territory again anyway so it really doesn't matter.

The issue is that pirates have all the advantages of a nation, they are not a nation they are Pirates. They should be able to attack anyone and so forth but at the cost of the advantages of being a nation. 

No one cares how much territory you capture. But having a safe zone in the middle of the map playing as a "nation" is the issue. It should be a confederation of clans that are loosely aligned and each control their territory through might.

But this thread is about nation specific ships with the addition of more DLC ships, which in my opinion is a way to make more players leave and is unnecessary. The Requin and Herc have already soiled much of the PVP. 

DLCs should be cosmetic or quality of life. Not pay to win or in this case Pay to play. Line ships being DLC would absolutely needlessly drive players away. 

Edited by RedNeckMilkMan

12 hours ago, Hemp Amore said:

the fact that pirates and only pirates can join both sides of a OW battle. is a huge advantage and a griefing mechanic on that we know FENIX clan exploits when they can