Game-Labs Forum
Hethwill

The time has come to make pirates hardcore choice.

Sorry for this but cannot stop wondering why Pirates are not hardcore/impossible nation.

We are approaching the most crucial phase and I would suggest to move Pirates to Hardcore/Impossible.

Confederations and Republic can exist in Pirates in hardcore mode... after all what is a "republic" if not a group of players under the same clan name.

They can get ports for their own and do everything anyone else does, like the other hardcore/impossible nations do.

But, IMO, pirates are the natural hardcore nation that never was.

Thanks.

• Like 25

because everyone wants to be a fancy pirate, which is why pirates are the 2nd modt populated nation.

I would introduce a new impossible outlaw nation though

• Like 3

I agree with this in principle. But having been pirate once (for all of two weeks), my experience is that most players who already play pirates are care-bears that just wanna role-play Pirates of the Caribbean or some other cartoonish pirate movie against AI (nothing wrong with that btw). When I was there we still had outlaw battles and even that was waaay too hardcore for most pirates and it cannibalised the population and caused non-stop whining (until we organised some clans and chased the watch-the-world-burn-types far away from Mortimer). There's no way any of those would be able to handle being in a hardcore nation. They joined pirates because they liked the black flag or because they didn't feel the appeal of any other nation. Pirates are a catch-all nation like GB, that people choose for role-play (cartoonish) reasons and safety in numbers (ironically).

At the very least, if pirates were made hardcore, all current pirate faction members would have to be given a free set of Forged Papers to be able to scurry away to more noob-friendly nations.

Edited by Anolytic
  • Like 11

Mind you this is server "agnostic".

Has nothing to do with War or Peace server.

Simply put, a pirate in game imo is the self-made "man".

@Hethwill the Red Duke

+1

Always felt a bit wrong pirates being exactly like any other nation. It's difficult to quantify how but a pirates life should be more difficult than a law abiding captain sailing with the backing of a nation

I'd be interested in the definition of hardcore here e.g what do you envisage this meaning for the pirate nation in game terms

I've been a pirate since day 1 and have no issue with this nation being different to others just curious to know what more hardcore could possibly mean

Given a set amount of ports without the ability to conquest for more?

Rate/SOL cap?

• Like 1

Everything the same except they become hardcore/impossible nation same as the three newcomer nations. Just that.

Excuse my ignorance but how does the pirate nation differ from the 3 newcomer nations? I've only ever lived the pirate life

edit: Are we talking label upon nation selection?

Edited by Miaowi

4 minutes ago, Miaowi said:

Excuse my ignorance but how does the pirate nation differ from the 3 newcomer nations? I've only ever lived the pirate life

edit: Are we talking label upon nation selection?

They have no capital, they start in Shroud Cay.

They have no Safe Zone around the Capital Region ( see above ).

All Ports the 3 newcomers nations have ( to even access Admiralty building! ), had to be conquered.

Out of my head it is those three things.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Aster said:

Implement a reputation system so players can act like pirates and they will become one.

I've been calling for this for ages... I think that nation's are too rigid a structure and reputation/national alliance, whose flag you fly under should be a much more fluid thing.

I think every player should start out Neutral with every nation. All battles should be Free-for-All, fire on whoever, no red,  no green.  What you damage/assist/kill affects your reputation with the owner of the flag you're fighting, AI or player. Your reputation affects your tax rate in a nation's ports up until you pass a threshold and then you can only smuggle into a hostile nation's ports. As an individual, outside of a clan, once you're at Master and Commander rank you can buy a letter of marque (form your own clan) and sail under whatever flag you want (and makes sense given your current reputations).  As a member of a clan (one-man or multi-person), you sail the flag that the clan is currently sailing under.

What this would entail as far as RvR is that as a clan you declare your clan aligned with a national flag. Any ports you capture under that nation's flag remain under that nation's flag, and positively affect your clan members' standing with that nation when the port is captured and you install a governor for the country of your clan's choice. If you clan ever decides to disband and change its marque, then any ports currently under control then go up for auction to those clans still under that nation's control (think of it as the Governor peddling influence). If there are no bidders then that port will go neutral.

When you click a player/AI on the open world or battle, their reputation with each nation is displayed and you're then free to start battle, or fire on them, etc. Now, before the historical national Navy buffs cry foul, this type of system would likely evolve so that there is one massive clan that has the juice to act as the Admiralty in each nation, so you could still do your fancy Navy role play.

Now, this opens up room for some nation-based alliance system to return, perhaps not even player controlled but imposed at the seasonal level based on the current state of play.  Reputations could fluctuate depending on what type of global alliances are currently in effect, etc. which would create a consistently changing geopolitical landscape that alleviates the rigidity of current RvR alliances, etc.

But, kill and piss off everything, and you're effectively a pirate and might as well take the black.

Edited by Wraith
  • Like 4

Again. No outlaws. This is a simple suggestion with the mechanics that are in place.

I wish nothing to see the same nation devour itself.

Sorry man.

4 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Again. No outlaws. This is a simple suggestion with the mechanics that are in place.

I wish nothing to see the same nation devour itself.

Sorry man.

Speak for yourself..

Outlaw battles were a great mechanic, that we all enjoyed. It allowed for alt policing and rogue clan destruction, reducing severely the number of problems that we had and massively upping the potential for PvP. Most importantly it allowed for easy training up of new players since you could just undock and start a battle instance between two clan mates without the silly hassle of having to find an AI, demast it, etc., only then commencing with teaching the player how to manual sail, do your duel, or whatever else you want to do.

The only downside as it was implemented was safe zone gaming by WO and their alts, and could have been very easily avoided with some simple RoE changes.  

I don't know of a single pirate who wanted Outlaw Battles removed (who wasn't an alt or in a rogue clan), only pirates who wanted to not be pulled into Outlaw battles when they were started in safe zones. This is an easy fix, and I'd argue that all nations should have Free-for-All battles like these, not just pirates.

• Like 2

In a perfect world players would have reputation. The more you attack members of your own nation the lower your reputation gets, the Admiralty places a bounty on your head and players can collect. At a certain level or reputation you would be declared a pirate and no longer be part of your nation.

Edited by RedNeckMilkMan
  • Like 4

I feel like this is the 4315th time this has been brought up

And dont really see it happening, because of what redii said.

Average joe will be very disappointed he cant be a "nasty pirate" anymore and do his couple daily SoL missions in safezones anymore.

Pretty sure GameLabs is aware of that. 

Only solution I see is having 2 different kind of Pirates. True "i dont give a shit" pirates, and, Hello Kitty Pirates. But adding another nation is probably not exactly what is going to help Todays player count / game Experience in terms of action going on

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Bring outlaw battles to all nations. 

No. No need to camp your own guys inside your own zone to have some pvp. Guess we are all better than that and can rise to the occasion. But all nations Impossible would be great ! +1...

Back to pirates...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

No. No need to camp your own guys inside your own zone to have some pvp. Guess we are all better than than and can rise to the occasion. But all nations Impossible would be great ! +1...

Back to pirates...

Outlaw battles should be just that. If you decide to attack a member of your own nation you will lose reputation/have a bounty placed on you. At some threshold the admiralty would give out missions to players to kill you.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Outlaw battles should be just that. If you decide to attack a member of your own nation you will lose reputation/have a bounty placed on you. At some threshold the admiralty would give out missions to players to kill you.  

OP Suggestion requires no further development of mechanics. Opposite to the one you push forward.

I respect your idea of the outlaw battles I just will never agree with it.

Back to OP. Nothing new mechanics code galore etc required. Just the release wipe.

4 hours ago, rediii said:

because everyone wants to be a fancy pirate, which is why pirates are the 2nd modt populated nation.

I would introduce a new impossible outlaw nation though

I would prefer that they create a faction called 'Privateer' to appeal to the player who prefers the non-conformist/non nation-allegiance lifestyle but without the hardcore mechanics, and leave the Pirate nation as the only hardcore choice in the game - without splitting them into regular pirate and outlaw pirate. 

Remove option to PvE from pirates, remove port tax and add one-time after-PB loot worth 7-days tax income, and see what happens :)

1 minute ago, vazco said:

Remove option to PvE from pirates, remove port tax and add one-time after-PB loot worth 7-days tax income, and see what happens :)

Right... 

Anything wrong with making them... simply Impossible/Hardcore without any further development ? Just a mode switch. Nothing else.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

They have no capital, they start in Shroud Cay.

They have no Safe Zone around the Capital Region ( see above ).

All Ports the 3 newcomers nations have ( to even access Admiralty building! ), had to be conquered.

Out of my head it is those three things.

Thanks for explaining

+1 from me

Thinking about it feels wrong that pirates are classed as a "normal" nation when a) you consider what a pirates life should be b) there are nations in play already that have a greater difficulty curve