Game-Labs Forum

The time has come to make pirates hardcore choice.

Sorry for this but cannot stop wondering why Pirates are not hardcore/impossible nation.

We are approaching the most crucial phase and I would suggest to move Pirates to Hardcore/Impossible.

Confederations and Republic can exist in Pirates in hardcore mode... after all what is a "republic" if not a group of players under the same clan name.

They can get ports for their own and do everything anyone else does, like the other hardcore/impossible nations do.

But, IMO, pirates are the natural hardcore nation that never was.

Thanks.

• Like 24

I agree with this in principle. But having beenĀ pirate once (for all of two weeks), my experience is that most players who already play pirates are care-bears that just wanna role-play Pirates of the Caribbean or some other cartoonish pirate movieĀ against AI (nothing wrong with that btw). When I was there we still had outlaw battles and even that was waaay too hardcore for most pirates and it cannibalised the population and caused non-stop whining (until we organised some clans and chased the watch-the-world-burn-types far away from Mortimer). There's no way any of those would be able to handle being in a hardcore nation.Ā They joined pirates because they liked the black flag or because they didn't feel the appeal of any other nation. Pirates are a catch-all nation like GB, that people choose for role-play (cartoonish) reasons and safety in numbers (ironically).

At the very least, if pirates were made hardcore, all current pirate faction members would have to be given a free set of Forged Papers to be able to scurry away to more noob-friendly nations.

Edited by Anolytic
  • Like 11

@Hethwill the Red Duke

+1

Always felt a bit wrong pirates being exactly like any other nation. It's difficult to quantify how but a pirates life should be more difficult than a law abiding captain sailing with the backing of a nation

I'd be interested in the definition of hardcore here e.g what do you envisage this meaning for the pirate nation in game terms

I've been a pirate since day 1 and have no issue with this nation being different to others just curious to know what more hardcore could possibly mean

Given a set amount of ports without the ability to conquest for more?

Rate/SOL cap?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Miaowi said:

Excuse my ignorance but how does the pirate nation differ from the 3 newcomer nations? I've only ever lived the pirate life

edit: Are we talking label upon nation selection?

They have no capital, they start in Shroud Cay.

They have no Safe Zone around the Capital Region ( see above ).

All Ports the 3 newcomers nations have ( to even access Admiralty building! ), had to be conquered.

Out of my head it is those three things.

• Like 1

In a perfect world players would have reputation. The more you attack members of your own nation the lower your reputation gets, the Admiralty places a bounty on your head and players can collect. At a certain level or reputation you would be declared a pirate and no longer be part of your nation.

Ā 

Edited by RedNeckMilkMan
  • Like 4

I feel like this is the 4315th time this has been brought up

And dont really see it happening, because of what redii said.

Average joe will be very disappointed he cant be a "nasty pirate" anymore and do his couple daily SoL missions in safezones anymore.

Pretty sure GameLabs is aware of that.Ā 

Only solution I see is having 2 different kind of Pirates. True "i dont give a shit" pirates, and, Hello Kitty Pirates. But adding another nation is probably not exactly what is going to help Todays player count / game Experience in terms of action going on

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Bring outlaw battles to all nations.Ā 

No. No need to camp your own guys inside your own zone to have some pvp. Guess we are all better than thatĀ and can rise to the occasion.Ā But all nations Impossible would be great ! +1...

Back to pirates...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

No. No need to camp your own guys inside your own zone to have some pvp. Guess we are all better than than and can rise to the occasion.Ā But all nations Impossible would be great ! +1...

Back to pirates...

Outlaw battles should be just that. If youĀ decideĀ to attack a member of your own nation you will lose reputation/have a bounty placed on you. At some threshold the admiralty would give out missions to players to kill you. Ā 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Outlaw battles should be just that. If youĀ decideĀ to attack a member of your own nation you will lose reputation/have a bounty placed on you. At some threshold the admiralty would give out missions to players to kill you. Ā 

OP Suggestion requires no further development of mechanics.Ā Opposite to the one you push forward.

I respect your idea of the outlaw battles I just will never agree with it.

Back to OP. Nothing new mechanics code galore etc required. Just the release wipe.

4 hours ago, rediii said:

because everyone wants to be a fancy pirate, which is why pirates are the 2nd modt populated nation.

I would introduce a new impossible outlaw nation though

I wouldĀ prefer thatĀ they createĀ a faction called 'Privateer' to appeal to the player who prefersĀ the non-conformist/non nation-allegiance lifestyle but without the hardcore mechanics, and leave the Pirate nation as the only hardcore choice in the game - without splitting them into regular pirate and outlaw pirate.Ā 

1 minute ago, vazco said:

Remove option to PvE from pirates, remove port tax and add one-time after-PB loot worth 7-days tax income, and see what happens :)

Right...Ā 

Anything wrong with making them... simply Impossible/Hardcore without any further development ? Just a mode switch. Nothing else.

• Like 1

Ā 

3 hours ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

They have no capital, they start in Shroud Cay.

They have no Safe Zone around the Capital Region ( see above ).

All Ports the 3 newcomers nations have ( to even access Admiralty building! ), had to be conquered.

Out of my head it is those three things.

Thanks for explaining

+1 from me

Thinking about it feels wrong that pirates are classed as a "normal" nation when a) you consider what a pirates life should be b) there are nations in play already that have a greater difficulty curve

Ā 

It's a step in the right direction but needs to be developed further. Otherwise Pirates are just the same as Russia, Poland, Prussia. We need less nations and pirates need to be outlaws that have the upside of attacking everyone (even each other) but the downside of not having an admiralty/safe zone. Pirates should be a hardcore PVP "nation".

An initial step would be to do away with the 3 new nations and make Pirates the hard core nation that starts in shroud cay and let them have outlaw battles again but don't let clan members attack one another.

Edited by RedNeckMilkMan
  • Like 3

I would just like to point out that pirates aren't that setup of a nation at server wipe or on a fresh map.Ā  We have 4 captial ports on the island of Iguana.Ā  Historically pirates had all of the island of Cuba and the Bahamas, so we've done well expanding into our historical territories...Ā 

And to remind you that all the ports pirates currently own were hard fought through RVR, again we only start with 4 ports,Ā  you're seeing the end result of people's time effort and energy.Ā  When the map wipes we will be back to our tiny corner and will have to fight off the beaches of MT to reclaim our territories...

Just now, Hemp Amore said:

I would just like to point out that pirates aren't that setup of a nation at server wipe or on a fresh map.Ā  We have 4 captial ports on the island of Iguana.Ā  Historically pirates had all of the island of Cuba and the Bahamas, so we've done well expanding into our historical territories...Ā 

And to remind you that all the ports pirates currently own were hard fought through RVR, again we only start with 4 ports,Ā  you're seeing the end result of people's time effort and energy.Ā  When the map wipes we will be back to our tiny corner and will have to fight off the beaches of MT to reclaim our territories...

Pirates shouldn't start with anything (like the 3 hardcore nations). Pirates are just as easy as any other nation. This should not be the case.