Game-Labs Forum

Stealing is okay? Vic le Viking steals loot from battle

Draymoor

48 minutes ago, Haratik said:

If you cannot grasp the answer then I'm not going to indulge you.  Figure it out.

Just going to assume you have no idea then, since you have nothing constructive to contribute. 🤷‍♂️

9 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

Not talking about this very case. I understand OP's frustration.

But denying an enemy a friendly loot by trying to pick it up seems quite logical in a Nation vs Nation Age of Sail game, even a captain's duty.

Indeed, the issue is in joining a battle to sit back and wait to steal, no intent to fight and to top if off doing it in a BC. The player was a top rank admiral too. 

Edited by Draymoor

20 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

What I don’t understand is how you or your mate wouldn’t be close enough to loot the ship but not shoot the cutter.  

I didn't say we close to the ship being looted. We had 10 enemy ships to fight, one cutter that wasn't even trying to engage was not exactly the focus of our attention. Like I explained above, he was keeping his distance till there was loot to steal. The only solution is, 'don't sink anything you're not right next to and ready to loot.' That's a terrible 'solution' to a broken mechanic, which is being exploited, hence this thread. 
I would like someone to let me know how they would sink a cutter while sailing a slow ship, if said cutter won't engage you. 

Edited by Draymoor

14 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Well clearly you may have trouble sinking him.  But you should absolutely be able to prevent him from stealing loot.  

Off course you could, but you'd have to make him a priority over the other 10 ships that are actually in battle and firing at you. 

Edited by Draymoor

2 hours ago, Angus MacDuff said:

I hate this mechanic but in fact, he could have joined your side and done the same thing.  Hopefully Devs will get around to it.  Not to mention, he was in a Basic Cutter!  

It's really nothing to do with the Basic Cutter.  Do you really think it would have played out differently in a different 7th Rate?  If this kind of thing becomes common it will cause a high level of player discontent.  

It would be cool if you could command a fleet ship to hover on the edge of battle until needed, so they don't get in the way but are available for other situations such as this. 

Edited by Barbancourt

21 hours ago, Draymoor said:

Today I went into a battle with 4 friends vs 9 ai frigates. A player by the name Vic le Viking joined the enemy ai side in a basic cutter to steal the loot from our kills. He stole a 'Wind Book' from one of the sunken ai ships. Proceeded to happily say 'thank you' and left the battle. 

So just to recap.   Four ships attack seven enemy ships.  The four ships are powerful but a little slow sailing close hauled.  As the battle progresses a smaller ship, from a third nation, sails quickly along side one of the seven victims. The small ship is commanded by an ADMIRAL.  The Admiral's crew jumps aboard and quickly steals a single valuable book.  Then the Admiral's crew disengages and quickly sails away from the bigger, slower, attackers.    The Admiral said thank you as he fled and had no intention of fighting.   The attackers did not have a fast small ship, in their group, to address this type of encounter.

This sounds like a raid by an Admiral sailing a fast small ship.  Even if the attackers are disappointed, I don't see anything that needs to be fixed.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Barbancourt said:

It's really nothing to do with the Basic Cutter.  Do you really think it would have played out differently in a different 7th Rate?  If this kind of thing becomes common it will cause a high level of player discontent.  

It would be cool if you could command a fleet ship to hover on the edge of battle until needed, so they don't get in the way but are available for other situations such as this. 

I agree that any other fast ship could do this (Req would be ideal).  The basic cutter represents zero investment, though.  Ties into another thread where we're crying about senior players using basic cutters. 

7 hours ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Good morning.

Is there any data, visual or otherwise, to be brought forth ?

You can close this, I won't bother with any data. Clearly I must just go around joining battles with no intent to fight and taking other's loot instead fighting for it myself. Thank you. 

45 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

So just to recap.   Four ships attack seven enemy ships.  The four ships are powerful but a little slow sailing close hauled.  As the battle progresses a smaller ship, from a third nation, sails quickly along side one of the seven victims. The small ship is commanded by an ADMIRAL.  The Admiral's crew jumps aboard and quickly steals a single valuable book.  Then the Admiral's crew disengages and quickly sails away from the bigger, slower, attackers.    The Admiral said thank you as he fled and had no intention of fighting.   The attackers did not have a fast small ship, in their group, to address this type of encounter.

This sounds like a raid by an Admiral sailing a fast small ship.  Even if the attackers are disappointed, I don't see anything that needs to be fixed.

Plenty of people including @admin seem to disagree with you since there are already several discussions on the broken loot system and loot stealing. The issue continues as the solutions offered for it are useless. This is one of the few if not the only game I've played where loot dropped from your kills can be freely taken by any random passerby. He can join as an enemy or friendly, makes no difference when there is no intent to engage. Gameplay over realism.