Game-Labs Forum

A Treatise on Constructive Criticism

jpjchris

Dearest fellows, gentlemen, ladies et all:

I come to you as a representative of the civil, with words that I pray all will take heed to and propagate.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM

Definition of constructive 

1: declared such by judicial construction or interpretation "constructive fraud"

2: of or relating to construction or creation

3: promoting improvement or development "constructive criticism"

Definition of criticism 

1a: the act of criticizing usually unfavorably seeking encouragement rather than criticism (author's note: I intend only the best.)

b: a critical observation or remark "an unfair criticism had a minor criticism of the design"

c: CRITIQUE

2: the art of evaluating or analyzing works of art or literature, also : writings expressing such evaluation or analysisan anthology of literary criticism

3: the scientific investigation of literary documents (such as the Bible) in regard to such matters as origin, text, composition, or history

---------------------------------------------------------------

With these two definitions out of the way, may we all use our beautiful brains and put two and two together.

Constructive criticism is an analysis in which a positive outcome is intended. Where positive change, and positive action, is encouraged.

Silencing criticism with a heavy hand leads to loss of communication, which in turn leads to loss of what may be brilliant and helpful analysis. It is literally throwing away free knowledge, and why be so wasteful?

Let's leave the banning to the actually dangerous. 'Nuff Said.

Cheers to all,

cfschris

A Noble Scallywag

• Like 3

While I wholeheartedly agree that

1. Any forum user should keep it at least somewhat civil and be constructive about things
  2. Taking out the banhammer should be reserved for the most extreme cases ('tis a slippery slope),

my criticism at you, dear @jpjchris would be that a tribunal is hardly the place for such a suggestion (hint, hint... :ph34r:).

Nonetheless you do have a point!

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice.  Constructive, on topic criticism is and has always been accepted on the forums.  Off topic posts in feedback threads, trolling, calling the developers or their work names, are usually met with similarly negative results.

Constructive feedback is welcome.  Unconstructive feedback, insults, or similar is not.

• Like 2