Game-Labs Forum
admin

Flags, Flags, Flags - 2 - Flag proposals only

Why do we not have the "King's Colours" in the game as a flag for the Brits?

2560px-Flag_of_Great_Britain_(1707%E2%80

I guess it may not have been flown from the stern of a ship in plain form, but there are other flags in the DLC that were not used at sea (French infantry-flag), and even a completely a-historical flag (Swedish flag "King's Battle Ensign").

And the flag was flown on ships, even if possibly not from the stern:

The_Charles_Galley-Willem_van_de_Velde_t

Also based on this picture, if we want more diversity in flags, how about making another version of this:

1841522241_RedEnsign1625_00001.png.497ea 

Only with the Saint George's Cross significantly larger?

On the above painting it looks like the St George's Cross is about 1/4th of the flag.

On the topic of Swedish flags though:

While I hate the King's Battle Ensign abomination of a flag (just to make it slightly less horrible, could you consider even to rework it just to remove the Coat of Arms of King Gustav Vasa from the middle of it?), I acknowledge the need for more Swedish flags. I would advocate for more diverse flags however, and history provides some good flags to pick from. I've mentioned them before, but I would reiterate:

Hillestr%C3%B6m.jpg

The flag on the stern of the closest ship in the picture above.

Also found here:

Swedish_1620_soldier_banner.jpg and here: Swedish_historical_flags_at_Maritime_Mus

It is also similar to the current and historical (probably same origin) flag of Reval (Tallin), which during a (small) part of the historical period of this game was Swedish:

ee-talin.gif An historical representation: revelska.jpg.aef1ff4fe41603b52b759ef89b205ce3.jpg 

Then there's the Riga flag, another Swedish possession in this time-period. There are some slightly differing representations of this flag, but all with the keys from the CoA of Riga on a background made by the Swedish flag: 

rigiska.jpg.15206f601b22e9f3d7ba0b650de99a95.jpg lv_st938.gif  lv-rig2.gif Flag_of_Riga_(mid_17th_century_-_1860s). Riga._Johnson's_new_chart_of_national_em

Then there's the Strahlsund flag:

Strahlsundska.jpg.df83300e50093346a52fd93864b38ac2.jpgde_stral.gif

The town was Swedish inside the period of this game. So the flag is not out of question, and differs greatly from the other Swedish flags in the game.

Lastly there's another version of the all blue, three-tongued flag:

armflottan.jpg.80d64a9af8e278dd1b4834c23e4aa18e.jpg The Armed Fleet Command's Flag

I actually found a "source" of the flag named the "King's Battle Ensign":

olyckan_vasa-seglar.jpg

It looks like it might be a (modern) commemorative flag, flown here from a digital representation of the Vasa maiden voyage. From the website of the Vasa Museum in Sweden.

I still haven't found any indication that this flag is historically accurate in any way though. 

Here is the Maritime Museum in Sweden flying historical Swedish flags and it is notably missing:

Swedish_historical_flags_at_Maritime_Mus

I really hope we get the two first flags in-game, even though they are both too early for the time-period of this game. I also hope we will have a Swedish East India Company flag, just like we have East India Company flags for other nations. Same for Danish trading companies that didn't operate in the Caribbean.

EDIT:

Also a painting hanging at the Vasa Museum. Though it's a little dark at the stern is flying the flag with symbols from the coat of arms, but without the Gustav Vasa CoA detail in the middle.

vasa_painting_by_cyothelion_dcnkjkw-full

Edited by Anolytic

On 4/1/2019 at 3:45 PM, Anolytic said:

(French infantry-flag)

@admin Could we please have a prussian infantry flag? Since french got one already and we have the Kingdom of Bavaria flag already, that barely has anyhing to do with the Kingdom of Prussia... 

After all Prussia was known for its infantry. It would be much more fitting and accurate than the Bavaria flag.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

@admin Could we please have a prussian infantry flag? Since french got one already and we have the Kingdom of Bavaria flag already, that barely has anyhing to do with the Kingdom of Prussia... 

After all Prussia was known for its infantry. It would be much more fitting and accurate than the Bavaria flag.

1851453644_Groes_Wappen_des_Knigreichs_Preuen.thumb.png.ca4f4591b5524da8824324925c598223.png

still would like to see this as flag 

• Like 2

Some more suggestions for France, I would love to see the flag of Napoleons regiment fighting for Ireland's freedom during the Irish Rebellion of 1798:

f67e71db24334011a43b5ef8e4f30186.jpgf1bee55929231ff438cfd2c9c61ea5d9.jpg171ab34b2f39c89a870cd9a632d49d7c.jpg62a8d04e5e0a03685704f95f138f8bcf.jpg

581f912ada568d6a1d0cacd92c993c7d.jpgb2b11012b92285fe33b35ec12e66c94a.jpg

Edited by Jean de la Rochelle

I admit those flags for the Irish campaign are a bit preposterous by Napoleon I but maybe your artists could make something good out of it ... 😉😉

While not strictly a naval flag, would love for a variant of this to be able to be flown for the British. image.png.7e5e489407c2c2d7e7e91f69fbc8c788.png

The port of Visby on the island of Gotland has for hundreds of years been of vital importance for the Swedish navy and still is, to this very day.
Their flag originates from a sigil created around 1280.

EDIT: This is the flag of Gotland, not Visby. The flag of Visby is almost identical, but with a red backround.

gotland-flaggby.jpg

EDIT:

The city of Göteborg was originally designed to make sure that the 15km land dividing the Danish lands of Bohuslän, Skåna and Blekinge from their lands in Norway stayed Swedish. The city would however flourish at the start of the 1750's to the end of 1800. Mostly becuse of the East India Company. Becomming the most important port in Scandinavia for trade and still is today.

Relaterad bild

NOTE: The rotation of the lion was not decided until late 1900's, and it was never specificed in the letter, originally mentioning the flag, from 7th May 1737.

Edited by The_S_U_C_C