Game-Labs Forum

Development plans update: 1 half of 2019

Mcjimm and Angus... Why dont you want us to have what we want while you can still keep what we dont want. Tell me ... are you afraid that the Arena mode will take away what you love?  Well then you know exactly how I feel because this is exactly what happened to me. The OW took away what i love. 

But im not standing here telling everyone that what you love should be remooved. Im standing here telling that i want my part aswell. There is literally nothing that you could say other than 'i dont need it' which you two have said many times before. Noone is talking about removing what you seem to like i dont know how you can be opposed to adding things that dont touch you at all. 

On the note of game of thrones: The show was allways about the depth of the characters. The writers of the last seasons totally butchered the characters and made them dull and stupid. They are horrible dialogue writers and they have no clue about medieval strategy so all the battles were such a mess its not even funny. But to stick with your comparison... The core of GoT was allways the deep characters. Thats what makes the show. If you butcher that by making the show about fighting... people will not be happy. Same goes for NA. The game was allways about the amazing core combat mechanics. If you butcher that by making it dull due to the accidental acceleration buff, and by making it rare and hard to participate in due to the 10000 other things you need to do which keep you from enjoying the combat. It's a question of "what is the heart of things" In GoT its the characters, so pure battles make it dull. In NA its the combat mechanics, so the ow makes it dull.

• Like 1

We are afraid it woud take the 2 Devs attention away from the Main Game. Wich still needs work.. (i hope they are working on Raids)

Also, since the Devs very clearly said that there wont be any Arena Mode again, its just a waste of time.

i also think the the fear of lose is waht keeps us ingame. I have played War Thunder and World of  Tanks and Warships. i played them for like 50h before i got bored. Why? Because losing a Plane/Tank/Ship means NOTHING at all. just hop into another Ship/*/*/* and keep going. The fights werent Tense. No sweaty palms no lying in  bed ad night and think "waht coud i have done better?" just nothing. Casual, meaningless Gaming.

The fact that it hurt so much is waht makes this game Tense. You cant do taht in an arena game..

Its just like Ironman mode in paradox games. Everything else ist just boring.

Edited by Meraun
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Macjimm said:

When the violence and fighting is unending it starts to become uninteresting

That's not it, Jim. It's the outplaying and winning or losing and learning that is the top level "Maslow's hierarchy of needs"-like stuff we want.

It's not wrong of anyone to be content with lower level stuff, but Naval Action is in an exclusive club of games that can enable top level play.

Asymmetric warfare completely cancels out the potential for players to reach top level just as chess wouldn't be chess if there was a minigame before placing the pieces where one could attain positional or numerical advantage.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Meraun said:

We are afraid it woud take the 2 Devs attention away from the Main Game. Wich still needs work.. (i hope they are working on Raids)

Also, since the Devs very clearly said that there wont be any Arena Mode again, its just a waste of time

I almost sure that there are Duel/Small/Large battles in game files. Just need remove comments.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Meraun said:

The first step of what we want already existed... It's not like it has to be redeveloped.... 

The other steps of what we would like would likely bring so much money into GL that more devs could be hired to work on the OW and make all your dreams come true... At least that's what i think. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Puchu said:

Mcjimm and Angus... Why dont you want us to have what we want while you can still keep what we dont want. Tell me ... are you afraid that the Arena mode will take away what you love?  Well then you know exactly how I feel because this is exactly what happened to me. The OW took away what i love.

I actually said, earlier in the thread, that I would not buy an Arena DLC...BUT, I have no problem with other players having it.  It's not for me, but I don't believe that my style is for everyone.  Whether it works or not would be an issue of which I have very little concern. That would be up to the players that enjoy it.

4 minutes ago, Meraun said:

Also, since the Devs very clearly said that there wont be any Arena Mode again, its just a waste of time

They have reiterated this on several occasions.

9 hours ago, Mr. Doran said:

066b2e3f53d07e8a078368ef07c3c81b.png

What problem?

You were referencing my wish that Devs work on the ROE problem. My personal opinion is the best solution is a longer join time for all regardless of the BR. It could lead to bigger and imo better battles. Yes, that allows gankers. It also allows counter gankers. Many have expressed that the timer is too long. The BR balancing ROE is exploitable. I’m in favor of little to no ROE. But the fact is few seem to like what we have now.

I’m certainly willing to play with the current ROE. It’s not our biggest issue. The problem is some like you — if I understand your position — want continuous action. Some like me define action differently and we want the game to be complex in other facets as well besides a great combat model. For years, both camps have been hoping (in vain) for progress in one direction or another. 

I think it’s past time for the development team to decide and tell us which direction they’re going AND to start putting tangible improvements in that direction. Then we can all decide if the game will be for us.

7 minutes ago, Farrago said:

You were referencing my wish that Devs work on the ROE problem. My personal opinion is the best solution is a longer join time for all regardless of the BR. It could lead to bigger and imo better battles. Yes, that allows gankers. It also allows counter gankers. Many have expressed that the timer is too long. The BR balancing ROE is exploitable. I’m in favor of little to no ROE. But the fact is few seem to like what we have now.

I’m certainly willing to play with the current ROE. It’s not our biggest issue. The problem is some like you — if I understand your position — want continuous action. Some like me define action differently and we want the game to be complex in other facets as well besides a great combat model. For years, both camps have been hoping (in vain) for progress in one direction or another. 

I think it’s past time for the development team to decide and tell us which direction they’re going AND to start putting tangible improvements in that direction. Then we can all decide if the game will be for us.

The joke is that ROE is not going to change. 

No changes to the ROE will facilitate continuous action. That is a problem pretty much totally unconnected to any ROE system at this point. 

If RoE was broken, wouldn't Combat News be empty? Perhaps that is the only way to "force" the devs to change RoE to "your way" (meaning anyone complaining about RoE, not any one person in particular),...just make Combat News be empty for a week.

Thank you for the compliment rediii :) At least I will take it as such. ;)

30s would be a proper RoE for the OW. Nothing more would be needed. This would force big gank fleets to stick together and be visible as such on the ow. Noone would be able to teleport to that place and noone would be able to abuse the OW time compression to get to a place where he shouldnt be able to get to within a reasonable time in the first place.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Puchu said:

Thank you for the compliment rediii :) At least I will take it as such. ;)

30s would be a proper RoE for the OW. Nothing more would be needed. This would force big gank fleets to stick together and be visible as such on the ow. Noone would be able to teleport to that place and noone would be able to abuse the OW time compression to get to a place where he shouldnt be able to get to within a reasonable time in the first place.

Definition of tilting at windmills...

Doran and Puchu: GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DIRTY OW PLAYERS!!1!

15 hours ago, Puchu said:

Mcjimm and Angus... Why dont you want us to have what we want while you can still keep what we dont want. Tell me ... are you afraid that the Arena mode will take away what you love? 

Puchu,

I'm doing a poor job of communicating.

I would love for you and many others to have an arena game, either as a separate stand alone game, or as duel/combat room within Naval Action.

I think it may improve OW Naval Action if there was an alternative for players that are bored with sailing and trading.  Those players that prefer a steady constant stream of fights could then divorce themselves (by choice) from OW Naval Action, and exert less influence trying to remove trading and long distance sailing.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jodgi said:

That's not it, Jim.  ......

Etc.....

Jodgi,

I like reading your posts.  You are intellegent.

This post is way over my head.  Perhaps I lack enough competitive drive to wrap my head around it.  Should have played sports when I was younger, I was too busy running about pretending stuff .... army, lost at sea, space .....

4 hours ago, Macjimm said:

I was too busy running about pretending stuff .... army, lost at sea, space ...

Lol, that too... that too. We wouldn't be here buggering everyone if that wasn't part of it.

OW timers down to 30 seconds, 

Remove the br restrictions

Reduce the ow to the lower antillies or the area around la tortue for testing purposes to massively increase player concentration

Remove teleporting, its not necessary with that  new map size.

0 loss 0 gain 1vs1 area in the middle of the map where you can fight players of your own nation. 

And you have me onboard for the ow again.

Too bad this wasnt tested in the beta while we still had the option... now it's released and we are stuck with this mess of a world that is waaay too big for the amount of players that this game has.

Dear rediii,

I will do 2 things in one post now. 

1: I will promote your latest youtube video so you get more views, which will hopefully help your channel.

2: I will use it as a recent example to show why it is all messed up.

So, everyone, please go and watch this video:

Description:

There You can see rediii in a frigate in an instance vs a full hp and full crew trinc who has just looted another ship.

The trinc is a way bigger ship with way more firepower and way more crew than the frigate, but still you see the trinc trying to run away for almost 6 minutes, sailing straight downwind. 6 minutes where nothing happens but the frigate shooting her 2 chasers from time to time. 

After 6 minutes of this unexciting chase, the trinc realises he wont get away like this, so he tries a different method of trying to get away. He shoots 1 broadside of chain vs the frigate. The frigate mitigates the damage by manual sails positioning and continues fireing chasers. 2 minutes later, the trinc fires the 2nd broadside of chain. 

From now they exchange chain broadsides, whereby the frigate gains an advantage due to her having the wind from the start and the trinc not even trying to retake the wind and the trinc being really bad at damage mitigation, but thats not the point. Eventually the trinc is so slow that he gets raked by an easy, jet well performed sternrake. From here on, the battle is 100% over. It was over before, but now it is certain since he cannot tack anymore without getting boarded. The frigate pushes the trinc into the wind and due to the hullshape of the trinc she gets stuck on the frigate and boarded.

Conclusion:

The trinc is a way bigger ship, but didnt want to fight. Why? The captain of the trinc had so much time to turn, tack, perform all kinds of maneuvers and with the superior firepower of his ship and the superior crew, it would have been easy for him to retake the wind and force broadsidetrades, which he would likely have won. But he didnt. In fact he didnt want to fight at all. All he was doing was trying to get away from a smaller ship. 

So these are the "fights" in naval action that are youtubeworthy? Where a big ship runs from a small ship without even trying to fight, only trying to get away and thus giving up every possible advantage it could have had? 8 minutes and the trinc fires 2 broadsides... how can that be called a fight?

Really... what kind of a game is this, where people dont want to fight, even though they have an advantage? How big does the advantage have to be for someone to actually fight a battle?

This "fight" which in fact is no fight at all... doesnt show that a smaller ship can well win vs a bigger ship. In this case you see a massive skillgap between the 2 players. 

This "fight" only shows that the game doesn't promote fighting. It promotes running. And that is not the fault of the player in the trinc or the fear factor of rediii. It's the game that promotes that kind of behavior. To make this a proper game we need mechanics in place that make the trinc player want to turn and fight instead of trying to run away. We need mechanics that make the trinc happy that someone came to fight him no matter the outcome. 

Edited by Puchu
  • Like 2

Not all the fights are thay way. Not all players do that way. Not all Heavy frigates refuse fight and there might be some reasons to do so (IRL, being out of repairs, or simply being sure to be outskilled by the opponent,  this last one not being a good reason imo).

So, I personally never blame any player for running, I only blame for running and insulting, or insulting without running. 

The attitude of the captain going in to the fight is just as important as the ship he is sailing on. This MUST RUN attitude is most common in the nations that get beat up on they are so used to losing that I assume they cannot see themselves wining so they will attempt to flee. Yes fear factor is also a thing a well known and feared captain name will cause a un sure enemy to break and run faster. This is why I was so in favor of the open world names being hidden because often a player who was hunting would find a well known captain and just run away to look for easier prey. Anyway moral of the story when you go into battle go in with the plan to win and only run if you can. When it becomes clear you can not run turn and fight the amount of ships I have seen sink without firing a single shot of ball into the hull...

• Like 3

He was fighting until the point where he got crew shocked. I guess the strategy with larger ships v smaller ones, tack immediately. It only takes 2 broadsides on the ass to pretty much end any fight, at least if you tack you'll only receive one.

Edited by Slim McSauce

3 hours ago, rediii said:

And since im qctually playing the game unlike you I dont have time to argue for or against a arenaversion of the game.

I'm not your enemy. I never said you did anything wrong. I never blamed you for anything. I'm even komplimenting you, so please dont treat me like an enemy, because I'm not. 

I dont play the game anymore because I cant spare the huge amount time which is needed to negate and ignore the boring parts between the few actual fights one gets. That's why I'm argueing to get more, faster and better fights. ... For me and for everyone who thinks the same but has stopped caring or voicing their concerns.

All that I'm saying is that the game has massive flaws in its core mechanics which detere people from actually experiencing the strongest point of the game, which is the combat model.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Puchu said:

I'm not your enemy. I never said you did anything wrong. I never blamed you for anything. I'm even komplimenting you, so please dont treat me like an enemy, because I'm not. 

I dont play the game anymore because I cant spare the huge amount time which is needed to negate and ignore the boring parts between the few actual fights one gets. That's why I'm argueing to get more, faster and better fights. ... For me and for everyone who thinks the same but has stopped caring or voicing their concerns.

All that I'm saying is that the game has massive flaws in its core mechanics which detere people from actually experiencing the strongest point of the game, which is the combat model.

The OW could be a lot better that's for sure. I think it's pretty crazy that we've seen the utility in patrol-like battle areas, yet don't use them except for random arenas around the map. These circles could have RVR and Raid-like implications, used to pit 2 nations against each other in very focused area of the map for HUGE rewards to everyone involved, yet we keep them a side attraction, while people continue to sail aimlessly around looking for some pvp opportunity.

• Like 1

I'm good with OW. I'm an Age of Sail hobbyist and this is the game I've been looking for all my life. I just want to immerse myself in the world of sail. I don't mind the sailing grind. However, I get that this is not what a lot of gamers are looking for - they want Arena style immediate combat. Every day when I log on I see the PVE server population as Low. So why not just do away with it, and use that server for arena combat. When you log on, you can choose OW or Arena. Advertise NA as having both an OW and Arena option. I believe the Arena, along with OW, would make money. I don't see myself playing the Arena, but I think an Arena option would bring in a lot of players and some needed cash for the devs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clifford Scott Wilson said:

Every day when I log on I see the PVE server population as Low. So why not just do away with it, and use that server for arena combat

Because it would be cruel to the folks who enjoy the Peace server.  The style of gameplay of the Peace server would not survive on the War server.  Combining the two servers would kill the PvE community, anyone who can adapt to the War server is already there.

It would be easier to create a Duel/Combat room within one of the servers.  Just like the tutorial selection works now, except multiplayer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Macjimm said:

Because it would be cruel to the folks who enjoy the Peace server.  The style of gameplay of the Peace server would not survive on the War server.  Combining the two servers would kill the PvE community, anyone who can adapt to the War server is already there.

It would be easier to create a Duel/Combat room within one of the servers.  Just like the tutorial selection works now, except multiplayer.

Or they could combine the 2 on the  PvP server and have a "Cartel Ship" dlc available which prevents the players ships from being attacked by other players. I have nothing against PvE, to be honest, so far I've basically been playing PvE on the PvP server. I just think an Arena option would help keep the game alive and atttact new players.