Game-Labs Forum

Development plans update: 1 half of 2019

The duel room was removed because it costs an actual server, which he said, is too expensive for Admin to maintain. He also said, if we would pay for it he could make it happen again, so there is still hope.

I opened up a new thread on the arena. Feel free to add your thoughts and ideas to it:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Archer said:

Does anyone know why the duell room was removed?

Because the devs didn't like people avoiding open sea. Admin said it requires extra server room but if server room was a problem then why have a password locked small battle arena for a few months? When we had 3500 people over pvp servers 1, 2 and 3  4 years ago duel rooms were not an issue so I don't get why they suddenly are to expensive. Also on a side note MrDoran must be insane to think a 20 dollar subscription model would work. I wouldn't pay for it because no one would. May be he and the other raker left on the server will 😛

Last time they added a lobby for fleet practice and they removed it even though it was used quite often. Every night we would get 6-10 pvpers that wanted instant access to pvp to join and we had fun. They removed it because they would rather 10 people to sail a barren wasteland with no pvp whatsoever. Sometimes we got 50 people from all over the map to join.

Arena is a direct threat to the idea of open sea and the devs are afraid it will succeed because what do you think players would prefer. Instant pvp or a 1-2 hour sail for a chance of PvP? The current "high" server pop will simply not last. 1000 or even 2000 players at release is nothing. 

Short awnser is: Arena and open sea are compeditors. 

Edited by History
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, JoeForKyo said:

Short answer, I could have clan mates , noobs , or whoever, testing out the ships first hand and to teach them basic or advanced maneuvers and such, so they could get open world and fight readily. Talking PVE of course, but on PVP I imagine that would hopefully avoid those hardcore heroes from farming noobs outside capitals as much as they are.

Addition: as they were, so no money gain, no xp gain, no loss, basically a simulative scenario.

The seal clubbing and skill gap is insane in this game for certain. The community as a whole is very uncompetitive in this game. If 4 pvpers from 4 different nations and clans meet up at open sea they are more likely to join forces than fight. 

i rather see some more missions and new ships instead of a practice or dual room

also dual or practice room if they will come in the game 

it must not be a complete game and
will only be limited in their use.

otherwise it's getting in conflict with the OW game. 

also this feature needs a lot more players active in the game, than we have at the moment.

forget it we need more missions

Edited by Thonys

25 minutes ago, History said:

The seal clubbing and skill gap is insane in this game for certain. The community as a whole is very uncompetitive in this game. If 4 pvpers from 4 different nations and clans meet up at open sea they are more likely to join forces than fight. 

yes completely weird 

if they are not in some sort of establish alliance 

(whoops now i am going to duck underwater)

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Thonys said:

rather see some more missions and new ships

More ships are nice but I've been reading reviews on steam and people with few hours are highly critical of missions and trading and are calling them times sinks. The missions are boring because the world is dead. The only thing this game has to offer is combat. Afk trading missions are not content. Missions killing ai is the same shit with a different "objective" on paper. Even story driven quests like stellaris has wouldn't work because the world feels boring and dead. Look at red dead redemption 2. Rockstars mission design is the same old linear shit since gta 3. The stealth only works in missions and is scripted. The wanted system is badly designed yet red dead redemption 2 is the best game I have ever played and one of the highest rated games of all time. Why? It's because the game world is alive. Just riding around doing nothing and exploring random encounters, wildlife and Easter eggs is why it's so good. Open world games do not work if the player has nothing to do going from a to b. Its nice to look at for 10 minutes but that's it. In flight sims you can skip the flying and only do take off and landings. How many flight Sims require players to transport cargo over the Atlantic? 

• Like 3

Now, that was a cold shower! :(

On 6/26/2019 at 12:52 AM, admin said:

Arenas/MOBAs only survive if they get to top 1 or top 2 spot. Otherwise they die. If you have no players any arena dies. All mobas that did not get to pole position died. Unlike niche games it is a winner takes all concept.

Though I still believe in NA as an arena concept it is true it's hard to keep the snowball snowballing. Any stalling may quickly result in a fatal crash. Armoured Warfare (while still "alive") sure does seem to struggle against the massive WoT and WarThunder. AW is the third copy of a concept specifically funded by mail.ru to get in on the cashgrab. NA arena (f2p) would be a unique and first-off thing with loads of ardent, almost militant, supporters already in the woodwork. Don't sell yourself too short!

It irks me when you say "The arena has been tried, twice". I was around for both tries and the first one failed when "the community gods" went to OW and the rest just sat on their hands waiting to be admitted. The second try has been challenged enough and many times.

I don't know much of the cost involved in releasing a free-to-play arena game on Steam, but I'd be willing to put money on a profit margin even for a "failed attempt".

I also don't know much about player retention numbers. You mention the 2017 count of 120.000 buyers, let's go with that and pretend that is the current individual owners corrected for alts. Maybe 1% concurrent players retention is good for a buy-outright game? With f2p NA arena you would tap into the 99% for a few % points plus low threshold for new blood for additional % points, we don't even have to wish for the moon in order to have sustainable numbers.

Imagine being able to sell premium time all the time... Imagine being able to sell (sensible) premium ships without incurring the wrath of players...

While you may have gotten the blues about NA arena this is the response I get when I promote NA OW elsewhere:

loved the sailing test when it was going, never really got into the open world stuff. Always wanted them to just make a WoWs style game like the testing was

• Like 2

On 6/26/2019 at 12:52 AM, admin said:

Duel room can be a subscription feature. This will be a real litmus test on how many people REALLY want a duel room.

With a price tag; not many. Many clan creators and officers would. I would too, but I would be acutely sensitive to the prescence of books, rare mods and port stuff. I don't think I'll ever be able to compete in that regard and that would almost make the room unusable to me.

The game I truly enjoy has been kept from me for years, I'm highly motivated but with limits.

Since I'm on a roll...

WoT is undoubtedly a continuing success. One of their core design goals was to keep it attractive and viable to the average "dad" type: A person with a job, wife, kids, car and possibly a garden patch AND/BUT with a few bucks to throw at a casual hobby in a continual manner.

Now measure OW against that template for success...

@jodgi

I believe in the ARENA concept as much as anybody, but Game-Labs can’t build an ARENA model universe. WoWs does it best, and @admin knows from his days at [W.n] how it all works.

It can only work in the long term by external client contact continually. This is the key to WoT or WoWs or other ARENA successful games. With respect to @admin he knows this and cannot provide the HR input on a continual basis that’s needed for it to make money.

Using an internal NA-OW DLC mechanic is a nice test. Its flawed though, and you all know why.

Its not about the wonderful combat mechanic or beautiful graphics. The success of the game style involves external game management. Something Game-Labs as yet to prove it can do...

Norfolk

38 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Though I still believe in NA as an arena concept it is true it's hard to keep the snowball snowballing. Any stalling may quickly result in a fatal crash. Armoured Warfare (while still "alive") sure does seem to struggle against the massive WoT and WarThunder. AW is the third copy of a concept specifically funded by mail.ru to get in on the cashgrab. NA arena (f2p) would be a unique and first-off thing with loads of ardent, almost militant, supporters already in the woodwork. Don't sell yourself too short!

What he says is not true. There is no competition in age of sail combat games. It might be true if they are in the same genre but what else would replace this game? Do you know of any other youtuber's that have 25v25 lineship battles with 300000 views like sea trials had? WOT doesn't compete with DCS just like sea trials did not compete with WOW. They have nothing in common. In general fun games do better than boring games. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, History said:

More ships are nice but I've been reading reviews on steam and people with few hours are highly critical of missions and trading and are calling them times sinks. The missions are boring because the world is dead. The only thing this game has to offer is combat. Afk trading missions are not content. Missions killing ai is the same shit with a different "objective" on paper. Even story driven quests like stellaris has wouldn't work because the world feels boring and dead. Look at red dead redemption 2. Rockstars mission design is the same old linear shit since gta 3. The stealth only works in missions and is scripted. The wanted system is badly designed yet red dead redemption 2 is the best game I have ever played and one of the highest rated games of all time. Why? It's because the game world is alive. Just riding around doing nothing and exploring random encounters, wildlife and Easter eggs is why it's so good. Open world games do not work if the player has nothing to do going from a to b. Its nice to look at for 10 minutes but that's it. In flight sims you can skip the flying and only do take off and landings. How many flight Sims require players to transport cargo over the Atlantic? 

AC 4 and Blood & Bones which isnt released yet are great examples of this even though they are heavily arcady they got immersive OW details which seems small and simplistic but fills out empty spaces in the game

3 minutes ago, Wyy said:

AC 4 and Blood & Bones which isnt released yet are great examples of this even though they are heavily arcady they got immersive OW details which seems small and simplistic but fills out empty spaces in the game

I would certainly enjoy stumbling across ship wrecks at sea to loot them. Not as good as bottles but a nice way to find some nice loot.

44 minutes ago, Norfolk nChance said:

I believe in the ARENA concept as much as anybody, but Game-Labs can’t build an ARENA model universe. WoWs does it best, and @admin knows from his days at [W.n] how it all works

In what way does naval action compete with wow? It's like saying dirt rally competes with f1 because both have cars. Code masters develops both games and releases them because they know there are rally fans and f1 fans. They don't compete. Then you have fans of both sports like myself and guess what. We buy and play all 2. 

Players look for games that have a setting that is intresting to them. If 2 games  have completely different settings and completely different playstyles they don't compete. Wow and na have 1 thing in common. They both have an ocean. By that logic naval action competes more with gtav because it has both an ocean and sailing ships. Gamelabs 2nd game this land is my lands competes with red dead. If red dead was not released I would give it a shot since I love old western movies. Before I play this land is my land I ask myself what it has that read dead does not. 

• Like 1

@History

Your comparisons are correct they are very different games, and yet my point is to look at something that has proved successful in a comparable way to the reader. The WoWs combat model is far weaker with a lower learning curve and yet it as a grind ladder that works. The game works...

My point is why does it work, and can GL learn from that.

Its actually not completely about the game itself is my point. The success of ARENA style games works best with that out of game infrastructure. If that infrastructure is nonexistent then player retention rates become hard to maintain even with a brilliant combat model and beautiful graphics.

“Players look for games that have a setting that is interesting to them...” you say and I totally agree. And yet we as a community do disagree with each other an awful lot. For @admin to drop a duel function into the basic NA-OW universe should be straight forward. Even putting some lipstick on the pig, he could sell it as an additional DLC. Its less hassle all round...

A proper arena game for NA I can see, so can you, it is there and workable. The problem is in my opinion it needs that external drive to actual make it work. This is the ONE feature that GL have never done before in a game. I doubt @admin has the resources to allocate to this one feature present in many other successful arena games...

I hope to be proved wrong

Norfolk

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:52 PM, admin said:

Our game is OW. Players must be risking something in OW. There is no other game. Not because we are stubborn - but because we tested the OTHER game. It does not hold average players - and as a result hardcore fans of other game have to fight bots and also leave.. 

This is why I play this game and not those arena games that everyone is mentioning.  Please stop trying to turn this into another WOT.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Norfolk nChance said:

@History

Your comparisons are correct they are very different games, and yet my point is to look at something that has proved successful in a comparable way to the reader. The WoWs combat model is far weaker with a lower learning curve and yet it as a grind ladder that works. The game works...

My point is why does it work, and can GL learn from that.

Its actually not completely about the game itself is my point. The success of ARENA style games works best with that out of game infrastructure. If that infrastructure is nonexistent then player retention rates become hard to maintain even with a brilliant combat model and beautiful graphics.

“Players look for games that have a setting that is interesting to them...” you say and I totally agree. And yet we as a community do disagree with each other an awful lot. For @admin to drop a duel function into the basic NA-OW universe should be straight forward. Even putting some lipstick on the pig, he could sell it as an additional DLC. Its less hassle all round...

A proper arena game for NA I can see, so can you, it is there and workable. The problem is in my opinion it needs that external drive to actual make it work. This is the ONE feature that GL have never done before in a game. I doubt @admin has the resources to allocate to this one feature present in many other successful arena games...

I hope to be proved wrong

Norfolk

Of course wow is successful. I have never played it or watched gameplay of it. I know about it because I see annoying adds oll over the internet for wow and wot even more so. You think people browse the steam library for hours looking for games? They watch videos on YouTube. Only recent promotion this game had is dirty devs video. Irony about it all is that bannished probably did more good than bad because he unintentionally got na attention since a bad review is better than no reviews. 

Google naval action review. Noone made one because no one knows. 

Blade runner 2 was an excellent movie. One of the reasons It failed terribly because it was not marketed properly. Quality does not always mean success. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, History said:

Of course wow is successful. I have never played it or watched gameplay of it. I know about it because I see annoying adds oll over the internet for wow and wot even more so. You think people browse the steam library for hours looking for games? They watch videos on YouTube. Only recent promotion this game had is dirty devs video. Irony about it all is that bannished probably did more good than bad because he unintentionally got na attention since a bad review is better than no reviews. 

Google naval action review. Noone made one because no one knows. 

Blade runner 2 was an excellent movie. One of the reasons It failed terribly because it was not marketed properly. Quality does not always mean success. 

The real irony is that Banished plays the game every hello kittying day despite shitting all over it. I wish he put a disclaimer in his videos saying 'I still play' even though he has problems with it.

9 minutes ago, Flinch said:

The real irony is that Banished plays the game every hello kittying day despite shitting all over it. I wish he put a disclaimer in his videos saying 'I still play' even though he has problems with it.

He has no standards. He said he boycotted the DLC but bought it because his fans donated money to him to buy it. I told him that that is not boycotting but being cheap so he blocked me for the 10th time.  

Edited by History

19 minutes ago, rediii said:

I actually joined this game because it has a full loot system in a setting I like and RvR. I was even activly searching for that

Those things are quite good and many other things except the roe and the ai hostility. However its the boring things in between the good things that people dislike.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Puchu said:

Noone is trying to take NA-OW away from anyone. What I want is something on top, something in addition, which i think would be way more fun for... i think... way more people...

This is exactly what we are asking for.

It's hard to play NA frequently because you need to clear a whole days schedule to play 1 battle. You have to find a target, (20 mins to an 1hr), battle could last up to 1hr 30 min, then you get revenge fleeted(another 1hr 3min).  It's almost 4-5 hours just to find a battle and get back to port, if you can make it. I like open world, but it gets tiresome after awhile when you just want to get on and have a good PvP. This is why I think arena done separate from OW and properly would get many more players. 

One other thing, could we please have more paints added to the DLC? :D

• Like 1