Game-Labs Forum

Economy update 2. Improved trading

8 minutes ago, Hemp Amore said:

Bud in the age of sail society was still very much focused on survival.   In that day in age making yourself broke would have been a death sentence.  They certainly did not lose money or value in their trades.  They just wouldn’t of made the deal and found better trade elsewhere.   

Bud.

Tudor was the third son of William Tudor, a wealthy Boston lawyer, and Delia Jarvis Tudor. Although his older brother William Tudor (1779–1830) would become one of Boston's leading literary figures, Tudor spurned the chance to be educated at Harvard and from the age of 13 occupied himself with business. After a visit to theCaribbean, he decided he could make a fortune exporting ice from the ponds of Massachusetts.

In 1806 (age 23), Tudor bought his first brig, Favorite, to carry ice cut from his father's farm in Saugus 1,500 miles (2,400 km) from Charlestown to Martinique.[2][3][4] It left dock on February 10, 1806 to the following report in the Boston Gazette: "No joke. A vessel has cleared at the Custom House for Martinique with a cargo of ice. We hope this will not prove a slippery speculation."[5] While he secured a cargo of ice, a vessel in which to ship it, and formulated his plan of attack, he sent his brother William and his cousin, James Savage, ahead to obtain a monopoly from the various governments of the islands. "We wish you to procure from the gov' of Cuba a grant exclusive in which we offer you either to take a conces' of half or procure the privilege for us & we engage to pay you one thousand dollars with reasonable charges, in obtaining it you however to determine which you will do & write to that effect as early as possible." Although a considerable amount of the ice melted during the three-week journey south, he did manage to sell much of what remained on board for a loss of $4500 overall. However, in the subsequent year Tudor had severe financial losses when three shipments to Havana in the brig Tridentalso resulted in a loss.[4]

A few factors were in Tudor's favor. Hiring ships was cheap because many left Boston empty to collect cargo later in the West Indies. Ice was free, only the labor of cutting it needed payment. Sawdust was also free as a waste product of the lumber industry, and insulated ice effectively.[5] Tudor had his first profits in 1810 when his gross sales amounted to about $7400, then increasing to just short of $9000; but of that he only received $1000 due to the "villainous conduct" of his agent. At this point his personal debts far outweighed his income and he spent parts of 1812 and 1813 in debtor's prison. By 1815, however, he had managed to borrow $2100, both to buy ice and to pay for a new ice-house in Havana. It was a double-shelled structure, twenty-five feet square on its outside dimension, nineteen feet square on the interior, and sixteen feet high, holding some 150 tons of ice. "Pursued by sheriffs to the very wharf," in Boston, Tudor set sail for Havana on November 1, 1815.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Using Landmarks?   WHAT IS THIS AGE OF VIKING SAILINGS?

I am sorry but Land profiles were used by captains even in the 19th century for determining where they hit the coast and for better approaches

ehegFXv.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, admin said:

I am sorry but Land profiles were used by captains even in the 19th century for determining where they hit the coast and for better approaches

ehegFXv.jpg

Lol, we still do visual fixing when we are in sight of land.  BUT, we have been able to navigate mid ocean since well before our game era.  give us noon position at least.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Lol, we still do visual fixing when we are in sight of land.  BUT, we have been able to navigate mid ocean since well before our game era.  give us noon position at least.

if you picked the right route you are going straight anyway, there is no leeway in the OW. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Louis Garneray said:

Should we commission someone to do the profiles for each island?

Maybe you can - by just using steam screenshot function.
All islands have unique hand made profile and we made sure every island is somewhat unique. Height map is hand made!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, admin said:

if you picked the right route you are going straight anyway, there is no leeway in the OW. 

Yeah, I get around pretty well.  My only Nav problem is if I log off in OW.  Next day I sometimes am lost for a bit (You're always pointing north!).  Yes you can just point towards (you hope) land and read the name of a port, but really, this will cause a lot of rage in the community. 

Edited by Angus MacDuff

Just now, admin said:

Maybe you can - by just using steam screenshot function.
All islands have unique hand made profile and we made sure every island is somewhat unique. Height map is hand made!

I’ve been thinking of taking screenshots of the different islands for some time.  :D

Sorry for off topic. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hemp Amore said:

I truly can’t believe you write this @admin I can only chock it up to a lack of understanding.  

I wrote this yes. You cannot get lost in NA if you plan your routes. If i can do it everyone can do it. I am not young and have a bad memory. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, admin said:

ehegFXv.jpg

Of course they used landmarks when getting close to familar waters, but they also had charts, maps and could plot out a proper course and get a pretty close on the Long and Lat of a map as to where they where.   Bring back grinds on the map and give us a rouge Long and Lat of where we are too.   Than there is no need to use the trader tool to navigate with.   

Though with this if I see a land mark I can guess I'm 100 K from such and such island or port....we don't have such land marks in games.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, admin said:
  • Trader tool will most likely be removed as it gives too much information; turning search of good deals into modern electronic trading, destroying immersion and trading opportunities for those who want to occasionally stumble upon something special. It was always a qa tool to help developers find problems with prices and test changes in economy and pricing mechanisms.

I wouldn't want to see this disappear but I would like to see it revamped a bit. Why not make it so it's more of a log book. you have to visit the port for any pricing information to show up but prices might change over time so you would have to continue to return to the ports to keep your pricing information updated. 

This would allow us to keep some sort of trading tool in the game while getting people to run to the different ports more often. It would also be nice to see if good would change according to the nation that owns the port and if we could see a concentration of goods in specific game regions. 

just my $.02

• Like 3

Just now, admin said:

I wrote this yes. You cannot get lost in NA if you plan your routes. If i can do it everyone can do it. I am not young and have a bad memory. 

My friend it has zero to do with getting lost.  You’re mixing me and others with newbies who may/may not get lost.  This is about positive control of your navigation and planning ahead.   These routes are planned, the tool is how you cross reference position, time and distance to update your position, set new courses on the fly and more.  You truly are not understanding the issue in its entirety and making over generalized statements when you lack the data to answer properly.   We need distance information for many reasons.   

1 minute ago, admin said:

I agree with you.  Navigation is so easy that to dumb it down anymore would reduce sailing to an arcade style.  No drift from currents and wind creates a lazer accurate course.  I too have a poor memory and yet finding my way is very very basic, even with waypoints and course changes out on the open water. 

NA-Map is a great aid and provides relatively accurate timings.

After a few visits to the same ports the landmarks become recognizable.  It is a nice feature of the game.  Provides value to players who can act as guides or pilots, as part of any team.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Louis Garneray said:

And I suppose the compass in game is using the True north instead of the magnetic one... 

People peculiar about the geodetic true north vs magnetic north will probably have no problem printing the map, and using the sandglass to calculate their position based on average speed. Some of them (I know one guy) play Silent hunter on real time (without speeding up and with a red light in lamp) - true story. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, admin said:

Sail southwest?

I prefer South , that was the running joke after release of OW to anyone who got lost, sail Sourh and you will hit land eventually.

Worked  well enough, even produced some good stories in global chat.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, admin said:

People peculiar about the geodetic true north vs magnetic north will probably have no problem printing the map, and using the sandglass to calculate their position based on average speed. Some of them (I know one guy) play Silent hunter on real time (without speeding up and with a red light in lamp) - true story. 

Meh, I've played too much "Silent Hunter" in real life/real time.  True north is fine with this map.  Better landmarks will be great and it's already pretty good (Nassau and KPR harbours are excellent). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, admin said:

Some of them (I know one guy) play Silent hunter on real time (without speeding up and with a red light in lamp) - true story. 

I had weekends like that :-) including the red lamp and an alarm to get me back to the screen.

Friends thought/think i was/am weird though :-p

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, admin said:

height map is hand made and heights are exaggerated for beauty. Games always are a representation of the artistic vision.

Having lived in Florida for almost 20 years, I still have yet to see a hill or a mountain     🙂        I actually think it's the flattest state in the union.  

• Like 3