Game-Labs Forum

Economy update 2. Improved trading

9 minutes ago, Captain Woodpecker said:

Well, if you set a course from destination to destination and sail in a straight line then it's not a problem. But that is not always the case. For example when you have to deviate from your course because you have been spotted and chased by an enemy player. In the heat of the pursuit you loose your orientation and then waste time trying to find landmarks.... 

Lesson...know generally where you were at all times...or suffer being lost.  Should be able to guess where you were and were going...then find that landmark.

Shouldn't it be hard to find the hidden island?

Edited by SS Minnow
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, admin said:

I do not understand how navigation is related to trading and resources and trader tool 

This has been topic several times already. Using the trader tool you can make rough cross bearings to ports. You sort the ports by distance, let's say Bani is 86k and Sale Trou is 95k away. Inconsequence there are only two places on the map where you actually can be. With a third bearing it narrows down to one place. This helps in navigating out of sight of landmarks. Quite important for a lot of traders. Afaik the trader tool is the only in-game tool to enable such navigation.

• Like 2

Just now, Captain Woodpecker said:

Then why do we have DLC ships which are basically 'whatever you want' element?

I don't know the answer to that. I just know that we do have DLC ships that many players like to use. They don't care about eco. You can use them too.

• Like 1

Just now, Suppenkelle said:

This has been topic several times already. Using the trader tool you can make rough cross bearings to ports. You sort the ports by distance, let's say Bani is 86k and Sale Trou is 95k away. Inconsequence there are only two places on the map where you actually can be. With a third bearing it narrows down to one place. This helps in navigating out of sight of landmarks. Quite important for a lot of traders. Afaik the trader tool is the only in-game tool to enable such navigation.

And what we've learned is that Devs place no importance on such navigation.  We will have to find another way.  That's been the discussion.

17 minutes ago, admin said:

height map is hand made and heights are exaggerated for beauty. Games always are a representation of the artistic vision.

So If I understand your statement right then this is a deliberate gameplay decision and there is no chance to get a correct height map for the region and additional cosmetic and visual features to bring beauty and variety to the Caribbean? 

1 hour ago, admin said:

You cannot get lost in this game - but if you are lost - this means you have not planned the route properly. Many people navigate by feel. I dont even use the protractor and hitting a wrong coast is exciting. 

Travel will be more exciting and trading too. F11 coords will be removed too after bot navigational routes are fixed. 

Can you also remove the map please? Make it a blank note with a  pen available where we woul have to draw our own Maps?

I have been playing this game for years and have never had any issues with navigation. The only port that is hard to find is Aves. If you afk sail past it you can be in trouble. Removing F11 coordinates would be great to stop revenge ganking and the trader tool was nonsense too. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, admin said:

No puedes perderte en este juego, pero si estás perdido, esto significa que no has planeado la ruta correctamente. Muchas personas navegan por el sentir. Ni siquiera uso el transportador y chocar contra una costa equivocada es emocionante. 

El viaje será más emocionante y comercial también. Los acordes F11 también se eliminarán después de que se hayan corregido las rutas de navegación bot 

Totally agree, thank you mate.

14 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

And what we've learned is that Devs place no importance on such navigation.  We will have to find another way.  That's been the discussion.

Well, not quite. Admin stated that he doesn't understand how trader tool is related to navigation. I explained. I understand that there is no emphasis from dev's side on providing navigational tools helping the immersion. Navigating like the old Greeks by setting a straight course between two landmarks is enough for them. I just would have loved to be able to sail from Brest to Santiago de Chile (or from Puerto de Espana to Penzacola in the game) without the use of any landmark. Like they did in that time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, admin said:

Lo siento, pero los capitanes utilizaron los perfiles de la Tierra incluso en el siglo XIX para determinar dónde llegan a la costa y para mejores enfoques.

ehegFXv.jpg

As all captains did in past. Well done mate, you have my approval, my team, my respect and my money ;)

10 minutes ago, Wyy said:

Can you also remove the map please? Make it a blank note with a  pen available where we woul have to draw our own Maps?

Whats the big issue about it? Do really ever use trader tools and F11 to navigate? I always just pointed my ship and always got there. Tell me one place one the map besides Aves that is hard to reach. Hidden island is huge. Bermuda is in the corner of map. What can you not find without coordinates? 

Just a thought, how is trading "improved" by decreasing knowledge of prices and having less tools for navigation?

Sounds to me that all it will do is create more time sailing with little success, like being low on repairs for instance after a battle and losing bearing as a result of instanced battle.  Even if you know roughly where you are when leaving battle it will be a crap shoot to finding a port with supplies.

See how turns out i guess, but doesn't sound like it will improve gameplay at all and more cause frustration.

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 3

What drives me crazy about this proposal is points 1. 2. And 3 make me excited only to ruin that with 4.   So why do we do this to ourselves?   Why always a very positive change with a negative.  Removing the 4th item from the list and this change would have been applauded.   Do you need a marketing professional @admin :P 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

Whats the big issue about it? Do really ever use trader tools and F11 to navigate? I always just pointed my ship and always got there. Tell me one place one the map besides Aves that is hard to reach. Hidden island is huge. Bermuda is in the corner of map. What can you not find without coordinates? 

It was an honest question actually.. but to answer your question. I do use trader tool to check where i can sell trader goods i find, and it would make sense to have some kind of indication where goods are making profit. Also they actually had sextants before which would show longtitude and latitude accurate up to atleast 4 miles depending on the pleb using it. 

Im fine that they remove f11 coords because only a handfull of people know about it which still plays. 

17 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

Maybe there is a misunderstanding. Most of the people here are for sure able to find their destination without problems. The trader tool is not needed to find a port at all. Finding your destination works just as you (and admin and...) stated. No Problem, thank you very much.

However, the trader tool is needed to navigate out of sight of land, to alter courses without the additional orientation that landmarks can provide and to find your destination at the other end of the map without sightings of land beforehand. Some people actually like this kind of getting around the map. Yours truly, for example. :) I'd actually be a bit disappointed if this feature would go with the trader tool without any additional in-game tool for navigation.  It would kill a bit of the thrill if after three or more alterations in course without any sight of land, after two storms and rainy gales, and after two or three real live hours of sailing,  you hit your port of destination directly on the head.

Trader tool actually helps in finding bottles wrecks out at sea in stormy conditions as well...

Edited by Suppenkelle
clarification
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Polish Privateer said:

With no navigation tools and without Traders Tool/F11, sank fleet event will be super tough to locate and sail around searching. We need at least basic navigation tools that existed at the given time, maybe even the moon or some stars which are missing in NA. Captains during the Age of Sail did not really just sail in the straight line from A to B using some protractor. Sailing was much more complex, requiring turning and manoeuvring and hence they needed better and more accurate navigation tools. 

did you really use the tool to find that? I find that odd that you did but I like the fact that people will be looking for the events. More time to find pvp. Navigating the game world is super easy imo. I am just suprised you all used those tools so much. I eyeball everything. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Suppenkelle said:

It would kill a bit of the thrill if after three or more alterations in course without any sight of land, after two storms and rainy gales, and after two or three real live hours of sailing,  you hit your port of destination directly on the head.

BRAVOOOO! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wyy said:

It was an honest question actually.. but to answer your question. I do use trader tool to check where i can sell trader goods i find, and it would make sense to have some kind of indication where goods are making profit. Also they actually had sextants before which would show longtitude and latitude accurate up to atleast 4 miles depending on the pleb using it. 

Im fine that they remove f11 coords because only a handfull of people know about it which still plays. 

You will learn it and imo it gives the community and traders something to internally to work on. After a week or two you will have it all figured out. I get it that its an inconvenience but In all fairness I also though the tool was crazy. Even elite dangerous didn't have a tool like that when I played. Could have now. 

• Like 1

Just now, HachiRoku said:

did you really use the tool to find that? I find that odd that you did but I like the fact that people will be looking for the events. More time to find pvp. Navigating the game world is super easy imo. I am just suprised you all used those tools so much. I eyeball everything. 

Whether you realize or not you’re comparing apples to oranges.   Navigation is not hard that’s not what the uproar is about.  This about deeper level nav than rudimentary point to point sailing.   Anyone can start at MT draw at line to Nuevitas and get there by sailing that course.   However if I want to offset my course, come in at different angles, from different points of the ocean I cannot do so as reliably without being able to triangulate my position.  It’s more than just eyeballing a course and spotting landmarks.  This is professional level nav vs basic nav skills.  There is a difference.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Suppenkelle said:

Maybe there is a misunderstanding. Most of the people here are for sure able to find their destination without problems. The trader tool is not needed to find a port at all. Finding your destination works just as you (and admin and...) stated. No Problem, thank you very much.

However, the trader tool is needed to navigate out of sight of land, to alter courses without the additional orientation that landmarks can provide and to find your destination at the other end of the map without sightings of land beforehand. Some people actually like this kind of getting around the map. Yours truly, for example. :) I'd actually be a bit disappointed if this feature would go with the trader tool without any additional in-game tool for navigation.  It would kill a bit of the thrill if after three or more alterations in course without any sight of land, after two storms and rainy gales, and after two or three real live hours of sailing,  you hit your port of destination directly on the head.

Trader tool actually helps in finding bottles wrecks out at sea in stormy conditions as well...

I know. Search coal. I get it. Its just overused.