Game-Labs Forum

Basic Cutter Problem

So , yersterday i was out of port in patrol zone with my friends 4 1st rates and 1 Pavel , we attacked one NPC to make damage points . At the finish in the battle joined a player with Basic Cutter verry far away and he has the upwind. We with our ships had to wait 20min until he got near to us and shoot him in the masts and hull .

20181126213605_1.thumb.jpg.28d0835d9bb316a7037bb952790df582.jpg

- I suggest to deny any kinda of Bassic Cutter in Patrol Zone area , why ? Because if they got sunk the can respawn another ship and come again in the Zone . For me this is grifing. 

Edited by Captan Thomas Fremantle
  • Like 3

When you were downwind to him both parties had bad wind to reach each other. Any schooner would have had the same battle result even a requin.

By the way basic cutter can't join when the battle started as pvp battle.

2 hours ago, z4ys said:

When you were downwind to him both parties had bad wind to reach each other. Any schooner would have had the same battle result even a requin.

yeah, because basic cutters do 2 knots running...... This is griefing and has nothing to do with any of the ships ability to sailing anywhere. Its a rear admiral for the love of god. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

yeah, because basic cutters do 2 knots running...... This is griefing and has nothing to do with any of the ships ability to sailing anywhere. Its a rear admiral for the love of god. 

To me it looks like (regarding first post) both parties were charging each other. Both just had bad wind to reach each other and distance was huge.

But in order to minimize such incidents we could Ofc ask that access to basic cutters is not possible when tp is possible and player has other ships.

1 minute ago, z4ys said:

To me it looks like (regarding first post) both parties were charging each other. Both just had bad wind to reach each other and distance was huge.

But in order to minimize such incidents we could Ofc ask that access to basic cutters is not possible when tp is possible and player has other ships.

in 20 min? 

6 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Just to clarify, this is very deliberately a suggestion topic and not a tribunal topic. Who was in the basic cutter and what he did is largely irrelevant here. The name of the basic cutter captain could perhaps have been edited out by OP. 

For the record he joined 10 minutes into the battle. And he was upwind. So by just sitting sails down at the spawn he could have kept us in battle for 20 minutes. What he did was set sails straight at us and apparently went AFK because he neither responded in chat or fired his guns. It took him about 12 minutes to reach us, so he saved us about 8 minutes relative to what he could have spent if he was really intent on griefing.

But again, this isn't a topic about this particular incident, but about the potential for griefing and delaying that the basic cutter represents in the patrol zone. A single basic cutter can keep however many ships stuck in battle until the 1 hour mark in the patrol zone without even being in shot range.

Yes, they can only join you if you start a PvE-battle, but when the patrol zone is empty of enemy captains apart from basic cutters then all you have left to do is PvE. 

Moreover, we had previously sailed past 2 battles already going on, that we wanted to jump into on the AI side, until upon further inspection of the BR we realised that the player side of the battle was just 4 basic cutters. How many times does an eager captain have to jump into an existing battle in the hope of PvP only to realise that he's against a swarm of basic cutters only? This happens all the time in the nassau patrol zone in particular.

Basic cutters should not be able to tag, join, get dragged or even get tagged inside any patrol zone. And in particular they should not be able to get damage towards the doubloon rewards. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Angus MacDuff said:

They are like flies on a turd.  Should not be useable by any but the newest players and should never be able to join a battle with other players.

Disagree on use of BCs being restricted to low rank players. Many I time I have needed (as a R Adm) to sail somewhere to open an outpost or collect a ship or whatever. Also, one's rank does not guarantee that one has a stash of Reals/Doubloons so there is always the possibility that the only ship one can get and use is a BC so you could end up with players being stuck somewhere with no way to do anything including fishing!

Sure, look at the ROE for the BC in terms of tagging/being tagged etc but don't forget that the BC is the ultimate backstop in the event of losing everything - no matter your rank.

1 minute ago, NavalActionPlayer said:

Disagree on use of BCs being restricted to low rank players. Many I time I have needed (as a R Adm) to sail somewhere to open an outpost or collect a ship or whatever. Also, one's rank does not guarantee that one has a stash of Reals/Doubloons so there is always the possibility that the only ship one can get and use is a BC so you could end up with players being stuck somewhere with no way to do anything including fishing!

Sure, look at the ROE for the BC in terms of tagging/being tagged etc but don't forget that the BC is the ultimate backstop in the event of losing everything - no matter your rank.

Why does a R Adm have to use a cutter to open an outpost?  This illustrates the problem.  Experienced players want to use a no risk option to sail in OW instead of a crafted or purchased ship.  Get yourself a fast lynx or Prince.  Any R Adm who finds himself with zero money needs to be demoted.

I've just realised the solution to the problem.  Any player with a rank above Ensign, who gets into a basic cutter, immediately becomes a Midshipman!  Brilliant....elegant...and very punitive.

@admin, please institute this as a ninja patch so that we can have a laugh!

Edited by Angus MacDuff
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, z4ys said:

He joined when we fished to kill the npc ship. But this isn't a tribunal so nothing bad to him .

Edited by Captan Thomas Fremantle

for basic cutters:

ability to start battle against npc - /vote yes

ability to join any battle - /vote no

ability to join as battle group member - /vote no

i like to grind on basic cutter when i don't have other opportunities

i don't like when basic cutters hurt others gameplay

and it's your choice, enter to fight against 30BR or no

Edited by SnovaZdorowa
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Why does a R Adm have to use a cutter to open an outpost?  This illustrates the problem.  Experienced players want to use a no risk option to sail in OW instead of a crafted or purchased ship.  Get yourself a fast lynx or Prince.  Any R Adm who finds himself with zero money needs to be demoted.

yawn

its not funny any more.

https://ibb.co/mFRyd5h 

pic shown that we jumped a player and get jumped by basic cutters. It  happend yesterday whole day. Its sad that you sink them and they are just waiting outside your battle to rejump you.

One way would be that every Basic cuter cost like 10 Dublones and if you selll it you get the 10 Dublones back. If it get sunken 10 dublones for the poor guy who have to case it? 

• Like 2

Basic Cutters are not a problem but a necessity. Pretty much like "scavs" in other game.

They may be used as taxi and they may well be the only way out of a "stuck in a far away port".

Regarding their PvP capabilities... well... something we need to live and die with. They can't engage anyone and they need to be really close to the battle to be able to enter in time - you may be able to see them.

This being said it does not diminish that there's a flaw. Basic cutters shouldn't be able to enter any battle involving other players, other than entering the battle at start by standing in the attack circle.

On 11/27/2018 at 8:46 AM, Angus MacDuff said:

no risk u say bc's cant start pvp combat but they can be attacked by any player usually at a significant speed disadvantage in battle and have practically no damage output compared to larger ships, and all i hear from this topic is complaints about how convenient bc's are in a patrol zone i am a Radmiral and i use BC's to get around the map to go between ports since i dont want to burn dubloons teleporting around to get stuff done rather spend an hour at sea fishing then 10 dubs on a teleport. now for patrol zones no guarantee the port u spawn into after being sunk has ships to use or is going to be stocked with cannons and reps so a basic cutter is what ur stuck with especially with hercs and requins being what most people use in the nassau patrol zone. so i dont see the reason to restrict BC's if ur not restricting hercs and requins.

2 hours ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Basic Cutters are not a problem but a necessity. Pretty much like "scavs" in other game.

They may be used as taxi and they may well be the only way out of a "stuck in a far away port".

Regarding their PvP capabilities... well... something we need to live and die with. They can't engage anyone and they need to be really close to the battle to be able to enter in time - you may be able to see them.

This being said it does not diminish that there's a flaw. Basic cutters shouldn't be able to enter any battle involving other players, other than entering the battle at start by standing in the attack circle.

if this was to be removed then since BC's cant engage other players then other players should not be able to start pvp combat against basic cutters no point making a ship that cant defend itself 

9 minutes ago, Crimson Sunrise said:

if this was to be removed then since BC's cant engage other players then other players should not be able to start pvp combat against basic cutters no point making a ship that cant defend itself 

Players should be able to attack basic cutters because players use them to transport books and upgrades without drawing attention to themselves. Not to mention that many use the basic cutter to tow their 3x fleet of indiamans. 

The real question here is what percentage of players actually use the basic cutter because they are stuck with no ship? My guess is that a very low percentage of players actually use the basic cutter for its intended purpose. 

Edited by Capn Rocko

38 minutes ago, Crimson Sunrise said:

Last Basic Cutter I attacked was a Commodore taxiing 3000 dubloons to somwhere. Sorry brother, I don't buy free lunches.

1 hour ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Last Basic Cutter I attacked was a Commodore taxiing 3000 dubloons to somwhere. Sorry brother, I don't buy free lunches.

Who would anyone do something silly like that? 

1 hour ago, Capn Rocko said:

The real question here is what percentage of players actually use the basic cutter because they are stuck with no ship? My guess is that a very low percentage of players actually use the basic cutter for its intended purpose. 

"Stuck with no ship" is just one of its uses.  It's usually a taxi to get your captain from one port to another without having to move other ships you don't want to move or aren't appropriate to that trip.  Basic Cutter also allows you to do some scouting when you don't have a proper ship for scouting. 

Edited by Barbancourt

18 minutes ago, Barbancourt said:

Who would anyone do something silly like that? 

Many players use basic cutters for transportation. I stole my first art of cargo distribution from a player in a basic cutter.

20 minutes ago, Barbancourt said:

"Stuck with no ship" is just one of its uses.  It's usually a taxi to get your captain from one port to another without having to move other ships you don't want to move or aren't appropriate to that trip.  Basic Cutter also allows you to do some scouting when you don't have a proper ship for scouting. 

Sure. But I mostly see basic cutters in the OW transporting lightweight valuables or towing trade ships (I know because I attack every one I see). Requins have become the new scout ship since they are faster and better at escaping but I suppose you still see basic cutter scouts here and there. I don't really see what you are arguing here.