Game-Labs Forum

Deep waters PBs since last wipe

28 minutes ago, z4ys said:

My statement was that we all could bring 5th rates. No need to show up with a 1St rate. Free to bring whatever we can afford. 

So better to have a fight than be competive. Is that your answer.  My expirience tell me most ppl will not join a fight if they dont think they stand a chance.

Edited by staun

I may be wrong here but the common sense is that the big ships were very expensive in the age of sail.

Even after the stream lining of the designs ( for better performance but also better and faster construction ) they remained expensive.

What I would do is to make trade of luxury items to use Dubloons, so that trade fuels navy and navy protects trade so that combat is not the only way.

At the same time - and i'm being serious - open ports should not be allowed a timer, only closed ones.

Last and not least - no enemy captains could ever be able to place contracts in a enemy port, no matter if open or closed.

Want the resources ? Buy them if you can or conquer it if you want.

7 minutes ago, staun said:

And why can't it be both.

For me it can't. There's no "logistics" involved. Even in IL2 scenarios we fly missions to mess up logistics ( see tactical air war ); hit trains, railroad stations, truck convoys, airfields and air transports. The supplies are what allows the spawning of models else everyone would be flying the best performing and lethal bird.

Same in NA. Logistics allow ( or should ) allow its captains to assemble fleets but not entirely based on "I WANT" but rather on "WE CAN" due to their own actions regarding the supporting logistics - be it hitting the enemy, be it constructing and defending your own.

That's why I said I'm biased, and it is only a individual opinion.

Entering game and pressing a button that gives me a 74 gun ship of the line, or a 120 gun one, without trying to mimic the age of sail economy is Legends, not Naval Action.

• Like 2

There is plenty of ways to do it so you can be competive in RvR. 

- Trade, as you mentioned.

- Go hunt for the enemies ships and bring them back/kill them off.

-Grind AI missions 

- Grind the patrolezone

- And always PvP ofc. 

I like that RvR now is hard. Both with cost to have ports, but also cost of having expensive sol's. Now you actually can run out of ships. So you can't just attack all over the map. But on the other side the time I can/will spend on the game and what I want to do when I play. For now the balance has just tipped to some solo play on my Herc and from time to time on a 5 rate.

16 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

For me it can't. There's no "logistics" involved. Even in IL2 scenarios we fly missions to mess up logistics ( see tactical air war ); hit trains, railroad stations, truck convoys, airfields and air transports. The supplies are what allows the spawning of models else everyone would be flying the best performing and lethal bird.

Same in NA. Logistics allow ( or should ) allow its captains to assemble fleets but not entirely based on "I WANT" but rather on "WE CAN" due to their own actions regarding the supporting logistics - be it hitting the enemy, be it constructing and defending your own.

That's why I said I'm biased, and it is only a individual opinion.

Entering game and pressing a button that gives me a 74 gun ship of the line, or a 120 gun one, without trying to mimic the age of sail economy is Legends, not Naval Action.

And this is where NA is now. 

As said many times by admin, this is a sandbox game. It is up to the players to create content. But who says we need to have PB at all. The game create the possibility to do thing, but it is up to the single player to play it, as he see fit. 

Without ofc knowing it, my guess is the developers follow the stats of the game. They may even have some goals, on what they want to happen in the game. So if they have a goal, lets say 5 pb a week, well then it is a problem. But if they have no goal at all on PB's and says that it in the end is up to the players, well then we are all fine as it is now.

• Like 1

Of course !

In the end the "sense of accomplishment" is different for every player. Regarding Conquest i'd say, and returning to the past, some fellows felt accomplished when they killed the flag carrier while others got dismayed because the flag was never planted and the PB never happened.

19 hours ago, Capn Rocko said:

There's no one reason. Make the ships cheaper, yeah you might find a few more PBs. But I think the prices are fine now. 1st rates should be earned and a privilege to sail. 5th rates on the other hand.

Sorry wrong Quata, was an answer to ports giving VM even after 1 mounth. 

You know what just like VM, ports should give dubloons, small amount but enough incentive to keep or attack that port :)

You will see lots of port battles. 

Or as purposed before, hostility creates a pvp zone with dubloon rewards, port battles with some fixed dubloon rewards for participants plus dubloons for damage done just similiar to patrol zone. 

The only but the only thing people going for after the patch, is DUBLOONS :)

So you put dubloons in such an important place, your ecosystem should provide dubloons. I do not mean the super boring, dull, kill 18 bellona missions. Dubloons to earn, playing together or against others, promote the end content, group content etc. 

Edited by AeRoTR
Wrong Quata!!!

1 hour ago, z4ys said:

My statement was that we all could bring 5th rates. No need to show up with a 1St rate. Free to bring whatever we can afford. 

oke ,...but i thought it was deep water topic, so big ships like 3-1 rate my mistake

still.... the issue remains..from what i stated ...

perhaps you feel free...but i don't. the initial patch gave me 12.000 ballons and ended up after rebuilding with 900 after it, my total today is 1100 ballons to build the best ship in the world., and 30 millions of old gold in Reaals... its always nice to know you are rich when having a barn of feathers.

Edited by Thonys

17 hours ago, z4ys said:

Let's introduce a doubloons generating building. The closer to the enemy the better the production. Only one per clan /maybe even one per player. The building has costs like lvl 3 shipyard. Can be partial captured. (Has to be rebuild for only 1/2 of the orginal price when it has that kind of building previously)

Other ports can have supporting buildings that increase doubloons production by xy percent when in the same region.

As clan building doubloons go into clan warehouse if it's located in the same port. Otherwise that building has no function.

Great idea. 

A port has that bank or whatever, naturaly for the owning clan, can be upgraded with reals/dubloons/resources. So upgrade cost example 3000 dubloons/100k reals/x amount of resource. This building will give more dubloons according to upgrade level. 

Farmed at constant fixed periods, 10 days? Dubloons get dropped every day, 10 days later you take the whole amount, if port lost/ransacked, enemy has the option to loot. If enemy loots the port he gets the dubloons but thr building resets to level 1. If they keep the port, it stays same level. If you keep the port, it will give enough dubloons to build some big ships, reason to defend and attack that port. Can be revealed if enemy player visits the port, visible to nation of that visiting enemy. 

Can be improved... 

You could argue here for weeks, slowly get used to the idea that not only our sea heroes (PvP / RvR) are crucial to the good of a nation or a clan. In the future, much will depend on the willingness of the malignant merchants or PvEers to bring in doubloons and materials so that the big ships can be built.

Sure, you could continue to open threads every day and complain about how difficult everything has become. And maybe the DEVS will change their concept once again. But maybe it will bring you more, if you recruited one or the other trader or PvEler for your clan.

• Like 4

How many ports are worth taking?  Very, very few.  Most are just an expense - so why bother?  As I look at the map, 90%+ of the ports are worthless to own.  In fact, it now hurts to own a block of ports as there's no enemy AI sailing between them....  where there are large blocks of capturable ports of the same nation, these have largely become dead zones.

Since this patch was released, I've not even sailed a 1st rate (and yes, I have multiple).  The new missions don't generate enough good rewards to warrant sailing them - and usually all the good ones are taken.  I would sail them for Epic events, but too few players are playing when I play to have a 5 or 6 player team.  

The DLC ships are now too common - and have become the ship of choice for most OW hunters (and yes, I sail both the requin and Herc too).

I used to craft many ships - now I've only crafted a few small ships for shallow PB's.  With the reduced ship crafting, the need for even more VM's has disappeared - so no need to take more ports...

Having a doubloon cost to TP between ports also hurts here.  Players are not using as much of the map now as the costs for jumping from port to port adds up quickly.  I think this one 'feature' is a cause for much of the games recent stagnation.  Players are not travelling outside of a couple of their home ports.

As a clan officer, I detest the doubloon charge for TP'ing.  It's not unusual for me to jump back to the clan warehouse port to pull materials for a clan member.

So...  DLC ships have negated the need to craft many ships, TP charges have negated players wanting to move around the map, PB's offer poor rewards.  I haven't seem 400+ players in the game recently.  Often I see <200 - and only during the peak time around 350.  Given probably 30%-40% of those 'players' are alts, the population of 200 actual people is getting too thin for there to be much action of any kind.

Edited by Elric
  • Like 4

@Elric 

Could not the reduced number of players also be due to the fact that some players have gained sufficient experience with the new mechanisms in the game and now just wait for a release. I do not think it's fair to associate the falling numbers exclusively with the new patch. Likewise, I could say that the numbers are now decreasing because people are fed up with bored PvPers slaughtering all the newbies outside the harbors.

Reliable statements about the numbers of players will only be available months after the release.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hellmuth von Mücke said:

@Elric 

Could not the reduced number of players also be due to the fact that some players have gained sufficient experience with the new mechanisms in the game and now just wait for a release. I do not think it's fair to associate the falling numbers exclusively with the new patch. Likewise, I could say that the numbers are now decreasing because people are fed up with bored PvPers slaughtering all the newbies outside the harbors.

Reliable statements about the numbers of players will only be available months after the release.

Yes, I can somewhat agree with this.

I can only gauge based on our clan (and a few friends from other clans/nations who are currently not playing).  Some are waiting, some are bored or frustrated with the current version of the game, most who have stopped playing will not be coming back.  Our clan is 60 players all joining within the past 6 months.  24 members have been at least active in the past 7 days - but that number doesn't reflect how little most of those are now playing the game.   

Will the game being released help numbers - sure it will - but all the tenured players will quickly drive new members away with the disparity in skill levels, crafting levels and books carried forwards.  Personally, I think having two classes of players upon full release will quickly kill the game - UNLESS there is some solid mechanism to protect new players.

Edited by Elric

4 hours ago, Elric said:

Will the game being released help numbers - sure it will - but all the tenured players will quickly drive new members away with the disparity in skill levels, crafting levels and books carried forwards.  Personally, I think having two classes of players upon full release will quickly kill the game - UNLESS there is some solid mechanism to protect new players.

Give the newbies a 100% safe zone (could be as simple as forcing them to start on the Peace server and making tutorial requirement to enter War server), give them a practice room to practice tactics on each other, and make them join a clan when they start on the PvP server (like admin's and my suggestion here). That will double (if not triple) the average new player IQ before they hit the "set sail" button on War server. 

• Like 1

• First you need 10 players willing to lose their line ships to grind hostility. Nobody counter attack and it is boring and very little rewarding. If enemy do counter attack the hostility then your at a huge disadvantage so the risk i HIGH.
  • Then your need the players (6-25) willing to lose their RvR (normally good wood quality ships, often line ships) for PB it self and you also need a screening fleet to get the pb fleet successfully into the PB.
  • Then if you are successful you have to pay for they port..

IMO the real question is why should anyone bother with RvR.. And I'm sure RvR activities has been on a steady decline ever since the cost of ownership update, and while it was kinda limping on it got executed recently by the line ship doubloon cost. So most RvR players are bored.. 

Edited by Tiedemann