Game-Labs Forum

Defeat of bad weather using homecam

Ahoy there.

Not sure if anybody reported this befor, couldn find a similar post so here it is:

So far i kinda enjoyed Open World Storms. Had some nice battles where i was running a little ahead of my fleet to scout in bad weather, then ran into an enemy fleet wich attacked me, not seeing all my allies behind me. Stuff like that could not had happend did the enemy knew what i know now since a few weeks: if you use your free camara (homecam) to "dive", you can increase your viewrange in bad weather by a big deal, here an example:

the view from an underwater perspective, you can clearly see the ship there, even if it had no group flag:

20181126001236_1.thumb.jpg.1541cf8db083468965d17e25288a7e14.jpg

and how it looks to everyone who does not know or use this cheap trick:

20181126001241_1.thumb.jpg.711a0a689e03f6d1755623733452a256.jpg

I hope you can fix this. Storm fun is somehwat destroyed for me since i learned about it.

o7

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, Polish Privateer said:

Since the storms are just fake in NA as we don't get them in the battles with big waves, I couldn't care less about it.

That's not the point, NA storms should work like the clouds in War Thunder  plane battles, to foil the enemy (they can lose track of you in the clouds, and should be the same in this game with the storm fog). This exploit denies any safeguard to a trader or warship to travel in the fog unnoticed.

HMS Surprise used the fog to escape from the Acheron surprise attack.

Edited by Cabral
  • Like 7

Overhead UAV is one thing this is another. The Master and Commander movie teached me that is not uncommon for ships in this period to send partys ashore to collect fruit, water and maybe some exotic women, and once on land, why not climb a hill and look whats on the other side? the uav can simulate that. theres nothing interesting to see underwater, so it took some time for me to discover.

however, storms, different daytimes, the sun and the night sky add a lot to the immersion  of the game, and this far, storms influenced gameplay for me and added even more to the immersion. if that doesnt matter, why not simply delete storms, weather, sky, night, the sun and seagulls? at least everyone would play with 4 aces in the deck then, with this how it is, some ppl play with 5 aces, just because they know this crap. some ppl think they are quite save in storms, since it would be pure luck for others to sail upon their exact location.

this exploit stinks immensely

• Like 2

Used to be even worse...there was almost no blurriness underwater (I think it was even in tribunal or something at one point....). At least its somewhat blurred now.

But I agree with @Polish Privateer, until the storms actually have meaning, like requiring you to sail slower/go around; produce large waves in battle instance, encouraging lineships to keep lower gundecks closed or risk flooding; produce winds strong enough to make lineships the fastest sailors and 6th rates slow and in peril of sinking at all times.... until this happens, I don't really care that we can see through storms just a little bit by using the submersible. You still can't see as far in the storm as you can in clear weather.

Better to work on NA's other issues, but when devs do get around to fixing this, I hope they consider finding a way to add storms in battle again (I know they've said its not possible). 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cabral said:

That's not the point, NA storms should work like the clouds in War Thunder  plane battles, to foil the enemy (they can lose track of you in the clouds, and should be the same in this game with the storm fog). This exploit denies any safeguard to a trader or warship to travel in the fog unnoticed.

HMS Surprise used the fog to escape from the Acheron surprise attack.

Well that cannot work since a ship that is not in the storm can see into the storm ingame. Even if homecam was disabled it wouldn't matter. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Polish Privateer said:

Since the storms are just fake in NA as we don't get them in the battles with big waves, I couldn't care less about it.

We all know you don't care about anything that you can take advantage of. Just log off and never log in again please. 

16 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

I will speak against myself here ( I like to screenshot a lot using air baloon )... but if this breaks the game fair and square...

Remove Home Cam.

removing ??? i am against it...

i use it for observing you with my telescope on the island when you come out the port. ((i will keep an eye on you just as you keep an eye on me :)  ))

a big no no 

the underwater thingy is just a bug in my eyes (i ignore it) and not very useful as well

Edited by Thonys

1 hour ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

I will speak against myself here ( I like to screenshot a lot using air baloon )... but if this breaks the game fair and square...

Remove Home Cam.

Or the devs could just add a camera limit to be 5m below sea level? It should be an easy fix. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Polish Privateer said:

So what about underwater scafanders and submarines?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_(submersible)

I mean it does not explain visibility in the storm, but your "underwater" comment makes no sense here. Ships going full sails in storm is also questionable just like shooting broadsides at full sails. 

You guys better decide if you want a fog ( @Cabral) or a storm. 

A fog? 

Just leave it as it is - yes.. it's unrealistic... But provides us with great screenshots and the ability to scout across islands which arguable can increase gameplayability (a real word??).

Most importantly, it does not grant anyone an unfair advantage, it can be freely used by everyone and has aided me in both the capture and escape of/from enemy vessels.

2 hours ago, Percival Merewether said:

But provides us with great screenshots and the ability to scout across islands which arguable can increase gameplayability

Great underwater screenshots? Yes, increases gameplayability for you and other players that take advantage over others that don't know the featture.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cabral said:

Great underwater screenshots? Yes, increases gameplayability for you and other players that take advantage over others that don't know the featture.

Because you've never used the F11 Bug report to give the exact position of a battle or enemy ships right? ;) 

Exactly the same principle, I'm sure not everyone knows about that either

• Like 3

guys, since this exploit can be the difference between life or death and can inflict great losses, solely based upon  the difference of knowledge about it - it may be one of the biggest faults in the game right now. name me one other exploit that can be used like this. Ai sailing through land seems to be hilariously banal in comparison. hell, even heat-seeking musket ball is not as bad.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Durin said:

guys, since this exploit can be the difference between life or death and can inflict great losses, solely based upon  the difference of knowledge about it - it may be one of the biggest faults in the game right now. name me one other exploit that can be used like this. Ai sailing through land seems to be hilariously banal in comparison. hell, even heat-seeking musket ball is not as bad.

F11 Coordinates.. Done.

• Like 1

Why not just remove "birds view" from OW? I like it in battle for spectating and recording in the battle or checking on team mates, but why do we need it in OW? I use it in OW to hunt near enemy ports. I hide out of view from the port, behind somthing with sails down and then I use the birds view to scout when a enemy player leaves the port. I never considered that an exploit until now.. But that is actually exploiting imo! :(

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

They really should remove the home cam. 

In battles that are stormy, you sometimes can lose visual of the enemy ship, but you can still see where they are on the battle map...I think that if you can't see them visually that they should drop off the map or show their last spotted location.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Yoha said:

They really should remove the home cam. 

In battles that are stormy, you sometimes can lose visual of the enemy ship, but you can still see where they are on the battle map...I think that if you can't see them visually that they should drop off the map or show their last spotted location.

Visibility range on radar would work. Say heavy storm battle visible within 500m, 500-800m cant see the nation so its just a Grey ship icon, and above 800m its not spotted on radar. 

Different value in night time, lantern on/off would be a possibility, and different value in just fog

• Like 2

Today i sank 9 Russian Traders in the Gulf. Half of them i only found because of Homecam use in Storm. I linked them this thread, but they either didnt understood or didnt care :(

This Exploit would be easy to fix, yet every day players sink because of it ;*(

@admin

Edited by Durin