Game-Labs Forum

A replacement for ship insurance

This was suggested to me by another player that most likely won't post it here in the forums but I thought it would work better than the system we currently have in the game. Also considering how much people seem to fear losing ships, it might make them less fearful of sailing them out of ports. 
I would suggest to replace what we have now as insurance for sunken ships with a system that allows you to recover a sunken ship by paying a portion of it's value in reals, and maybe some doubloons for ships of the line. The value of each ship would have to be estimated by the system with a list of prices that mimic the economy's prices, along with any upgrades it has and when sunk and lost (not captured, same as now) the player would be given the choice to get their ship back if they pay a % of the value. Additionally if the player can't pay to recover their ship right after the battle ends, then the ship is lost forever. 
An added bonus is that this creates a sink for both currencies instead of adding more inflation like insurance does. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean Ribault said:

Not to rain on your idea, but IMO it would be so much easier and simpler to reintroduce multi-durability.  Single dura is a mistake in this expensive high risk version of the game.  The numbers and the number of fights say so,

We had durability before the wipe. I think population decrease has more to do with the amount of time it takes to accomplish anything in game. It makes it inaccessible to casual players with limited time.

Some of the most popular games are perma death (Rust, Tarkov, DayZ,) Of course these games don't take exuberant amounts of time to get in to the action and have fun. (DayZ standalone is shit I mean the mod).

Shrink the map and lower the amount of ports, make owning ports worthwhile for clans. As dumb as Vic marks were when they were awarded to three nations It was a good motivator for players to RVR. 

So reward the top clans or nations with some extra loot (an epic event chest each week?) to create competition.

Edited by RedNeckMilkMan
  • Like 1

I was thinking about this earlier when discussing insurance with a friend. What if instead of a payout in reals, you got another ship, a rate under your previous one given randomly by admiralty. You'd promote a variety of ship use this way without reintroducing the dreaded multi duras.

Otherwise I'm fine with current insurance, the economy doesn't really reflect the same value as what they give you though.

Edited by Slim McSauce

17 minutes ago, Phaserburn said:

ship mods should still drop on death. I also have no idea how capturing ships would work.... if you can capture a ship with durability, would both people keep it?? That’s broken, and shouldn’t be possible....

If it's captured it just wouldn't apply, same as the insurance we currently have. I wouldn't be against if ships mods where lost when sunk, sounds fair to me.