Game-Labs Forum

Doubloons in PvP/How to deal with counter ganks.

If i get tagged by one, maybe two players while in a tradeship (possibly one in fleet aswell) ... perhaps allowing to even have some sort of a fight (even if it is obvious that i'll lose), then i don't destroy anything (even when i'm overloaded). Good on that player (or the two of them) for catching/encountering me.

If i get tagged by some ganksquad (3-4 vs 1, or even worse), i destroy as much cargo as i can can and try to make the fight as boring/long as i can ... i see those fights as griefing, so no rewards should go to the attackers. Ussually, these fights also have nothing to do with having an interesting encounter, it's just murdering/farming a helpless player, not even fleetships get spared (although they would get dubloons again if they retag you), they just want to hello kitty up your day and make the encounter as painfull as possible (because they can)(i have not seen a raider so far that has kept one/any of my lost tradeships (even when valuable cargo is/was on board)).

Why would i not dump any dubloons that i may have found or earned from battles? I can destroy repairs to gain some extra speed, but not dubloons? I destroy them too, if the other side doesn't want to give the opportunity to give a somewhat inetresting fight (win/or lose), then why would i feel like accomodating them and saving my dubloons to hand them over?

Since the patch, i have had more fights though, more people are/seem to be willing to just have a fight (one even let me go after he had beaten me, just because apperantly i put up a good fight (was in patrolzone, dubloonfarming is maybe less important there ... i had 1200 dubloons in my hold during that fight, would have gladly given them to that player, who gave me atleast an opportunity to 'play')).

Why can't we just have longer speed buff and / or longer invisibility the longer the battle lasted? It's realistic and much better for enjoyable gameplay. Revenge fleets shouldn't get their target served on a silver platter when in reality they could and should be long gone from the battle location.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ivan87 said:

You can do ganking but you can not suffer ganking ... strange concept of justice...

I think I am on the side being "ganked" (if ganking means fighting a enemy outnumering/gunning you by a fair bit) more often than I do the opposite. 

The fights I brough up were with us having at max 1/4 of their BR in the first fight but sinking a few but than not being able to ever disengage from those fights becuase they just bring more and more.

1 hour ago, Ivan87 said:

The real problem is that the current doubloon system is not balanced. You do not get a reward equivalent to the risk.

That's my point. High risk should give good rewards if you win not if you win and than also get away from people chasing you for 3 hrs. As said before we won fights we had a heavy disadvantage in so why punish us for going for those fights? We should not win them so if we do let us keep our rewards pls.

1 hour ago, Angus MacDuff said:

OP says they had 25K Doubloons between them.  That's a pretty good haul.  PVP is quite rewarding if you live to spend it.  PVE Kill missions don't indicate a great reward, but I don't know if you can loot them as I don't do them.

Yes it is. the sad part is we didn't get to keep most of them and lost ships worth that ammount of dubs becuase they could tag us over and over again after which is fine imo if you get to keep the rewards of the fight you won.

Long invisibility is needed to avoid this situation.  Don't forbid detroying doubloons, players should just not do it.  But they won't be encouraged to do it anyway if the stupid revenge fleet "mechanics" were just fixed, simply by allowing the battling players to escape the revenge fleet gank zone after their battle.

Edited by Jean Ribault
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Yup, this is a perfect example of "be careful what you ask for". You won't be able to save your doubloons from other players, but your prayers might get answered in the form of admin making it impossible to destroy or throw doubloons overboard. Bad mechanic fixed!

Admin said he doesn't want that before. If he wants it now I am cool with it but imo that would lead to people not going out for risky PvP anymore which takes away a large part of the game.

3 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

Why can't we just have longer speed buff and / or longer invisibility the longer the battle lasted? It's realistic and much better for enjoyable gameplay. Revenge fleets shouldn't get their target served on a silver platter when in reality they could and should be long gone from the battle location.

Honestly I like that idea even better. Herd it multiple times. @admin this might be something to considere. Maybe there is a way to make invis last longer the longer the fight lasted so people have a better chance of getting away especially after long fights.

• Like 1

Well, I think your suggestion would work, but I also like this one:

-Increase doubloon drop from PvP kills (what you get in the battle report screen). Scale them in line with the scaling used on navy hull refits (40 doubloons = 1 PvP mark). So sinking a L'Ocean (35? PvP marks...been a while) would be 35 x 40 = 1400 doubloons straight to chest once you exit battle.

-Leave the current hold loot mechanic (whatever you loot you have to take back to port safely if you want to keep it).

Do this, and all of a sudden PvP seems more attractive again (I mean real PvP where you fight even if you're not sure you'll win). Then you'll be able to replace any ship after a few successful fights with it. Right now you have to make it back to port, which is incentive not to sink. Which is incentive to fight only battles you know you can win, which is incentive to gank. And/or it is incentive to sail fast builds and run away from fights (that you're not sure you can win) a lot.

Currently, if I'm with a small group and get ganked and know we're gonna sink, I'd rather have my friends sink me and destroy the doubloons in-battle rather than reward the enemy for a gank.

Until then, like others have suggested, I've been thinking of an alt in a fir/fir failfit speed Requin with loodsman to haul my doubloons around for me... such a sad time when mechanics are so bad you have to consider such crap as that.

+1 on increased invisibility (maybe even make it so it doesn't start ticking down until 30s in, or you raise sails/whichever comes first [meant to allow you to change heading]).

• Like 5

This is what some people asked for.  More risk.  Admin delivered.  

Having to get those doubloons out if the hot zone or a ship they capped is now a challenge.  The problem is that the people who requested this change only sail requins and princes.  Most don’t even really play.... but for some reason this game gets designed to please them.

I personally hate the change.  I think RNG drops of doubloons that you have to smuggle out on to the OW where people have magical speed books and weird instance compression systems is absurd.  If I cap a ship, sure I should have to run the gauntlet to get it home.  But PVP rewards that are required for every aspect of the game?  No.  One can only imagine how difficult this system is for new players.  Probably why we don’t have many of them.  

Personally I would increase the doubloon payouts at the battles end and have doubloons drop less in ship holds.   Maybe have it be more of a bonus than a necessity.  I absolutely hate having to pull off combat to loot ships.  What an absurd mechanic.  

This game somehow turned into an even bigger gank fest and turned PVP into a chore.  Online numbers are dropping.  Not good.  

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 8

I mean that's the whole point. It would be like trying to cap a ship deep in enemy waters and wanting a send to port option again. If you can't get it back you have to scuttle them.Either you bring a fast enough ship to escape the revenge fleet or you destroy the loot. You got guaranteed reals/dubs from the sinks that can't be taken, but the loot from the holds is loot from the hold, and has to be transported.

It seems fine honestly.

Edit to add, most of those huge gank fleets are trash ships anyhow, almost any purpose built speed ship used by hunters will outrun any of that junk, but unfortunately you cant throw back a pack of fifth rates in fifth rates, which is probably why you were in the 3rd rates, you made a calculated trade off to bolster success, this is the downside.

Edited by Rabman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rabman said:

Edit to add, most of those huge gank fleets are trash ships anyhow, almost any purpose built speed ship used by hunters will outrun any of that junk, but unfortunately you cant throw back a pack of fifth rates in fifth rates, which is probably why you were in the 3rd rates, you made a calculated trade off to bolster success, this is the downside.

We were in Bellonas and 3rd rates without speed mods. We came there to fight not to run away. I personnaly hate the meta of gank and run it's boring and bad gameplay in my opinion. 

We also came there expecting to face 20-25 ppl in bigger ships as we did in the first fight. My problem is not the initial fight which we were asking to get compleaty outnumbered in my issiue is there is no rewards for such fights as you will get killed outside.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jodgi said:

1315935c8af89dfdbd40bfd0717c8d52.png

Stable is the word I'd use, but...

0addbfc08d1864148262d7c82459be7f.png

Peak players October  696     Peak players Nov  696.  Meanwhile the biggest patch in a year dropped.  I would say that most are....unimpressed.  

If you play in the evenings you will have seen a steady decline in online numbers.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Meanwhile the biggest patch in a year dropped.  I would say that most are....unimpressed.

Or those that played before patch still play after patch...

I don't think we'll get a bump in numbers before well after the looming wipe associated with official release.

"Your" PvE grazers got quite a bit of content with this patch, right? No more feeling excluded from PvP currency, more varied missions... Isn't that a step, or several steps, in the right direction according to your ideals?

2 hours ago, Christendom said:

I absolutely hate having to pull off combat to loot ships.

Please rephrase or elaborate so I can catch your drift, pls...

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

"Your" PvE grazers got quite a bit of content with this patch, right? No more feeling excluded from PvP currency, more varied missions...

Isn't that a step, or several steps, in the right direction according to your ideals?

I asked for more content to keep the farm happy.  Not an all new magical currency that has RNG drops and is needed for everything in the game. 

PVEr's prior to this patch who didn't have to worry about PVP books now are forced to sail outside the zones in search of said coins so they can do their crafting and while in essence forcing them out of the zones is a good thing..... now they have to haul everything back and usually get  ganked in the process.  This patch kinda gets the lemmings to the cliff and then forces them off.  Not at all what I was requesting.  

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

Please rephrase or elaborate so I can catch your drift, pls...

In a multi ship engagement I need to pull off combat, change course and/or expose sides in order to loot a ship.  

In this fight for example, less than half the ships were looted due to the flow of battle.  

5846624f9bf5d1e2d9086ce1e8130821.png

I disagree with the OP. But then I think totally safe captains chest or upgrades chest should not even exist.

However, post battle invisibility and no-tag timers should increase by A LOT.

19 hours ago, Ganking Simulator said:

Let defenders log out and go to sleep after a battle.

I agree with that. Attackers or defenders, the right to sleep exists. XD

I just say that the game can not be designed solely from the point of view of the attacker because that makes the game unfair to a mass of players.

• Like 1