Game-Labs Forum

PvE Invasion Fleets (New Epic Event)

Here's a nifty idea, every once and a while a nation will get a message (Fleet from X nation is en route from X port to capital, Interecept and destroy)

This fleet will range from 15-25 ships.

The fleet will start from a nearby enemy port, and will begin to sail towards the capital of the chosen nation.

The fleet will be open to attack BY ONLY THE NATION THAT IS TARGET of the invasion (every nation will get their chance, fairly to participate on their own time, this to avoid abuse)

The fleet will not be able to be tagged by a single ship, it will require a minimum BR depending on the fleet to be tagged, from there anyone can join.

The reward for participating will be either a chests drop, 1 per person. Or a payout of DB's.

This can be introduced to PVE and PVP servers.

If the fleet makes it to the capital untouched, or the first battle is unsuccessful, the mission will be failed and  the fleet will disappear and no one gets anything.

That's it, a fun little event for people to get excited for.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Barbancourt said:

Could be interesting.  On the other hand, alts would spread the info to enemy nations and suddenly ships would be appearing from all over the map to feast on the carnage.

I would be shocked if they did not do so, perhaps, it may not be all 'doom and gloom',  such fleets would be ideal for newer players and veterans alike, the newer guys could gain valuable experience, possibly under supervision, make some xp, Reals possibly some Dubloons as well,  and the combat veterans could actually find more PVP while attempting to stop the enemy. There could also be RVR possibilities as well, a hostilities fleet coming in while everyone is fighting/covering the battles is possible, could raise hostility fairly fast with minimal opposition.

It could provide needed content for all levels of the game simultaneously as long as there are sufficient players, and distances are not too great to travel in time. However we will not know until a few attempts have been made, it does not take strategists, or, tacticians to understand that while your enemy is engaged elsewhere they are vulnerable to covert raids or hostility missions, particularly, if the ports nearby hold value.

Also, those who choose to avail themselves of distractions like these, should not be shocked, bitter, and salty of they find the host nation has rolled out the red carpet and greeted them warmly.  There is after all little shortage of OW PVP around the 'lost fleet' scenarios, this would be a variation on a theme.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Lancelot Holland said:

I would be shocked if they did not do so, perhaps, it may not be all 'doom and gloom',  such fleets would be ideal for newer players and veterans alike, the newer guys could gain valuable experience, possibly under supervision, make some xp, Reals possibly some Dubloons as well,  and the combat veterans could actually find more PVP while attempting to stop the enemy.

Newer players don't really learn anything from getting gang-tackled and sunk in 5 minutes by PVP squads, and don't even get XP out of it.

6 hours ago, Barbancourt said:

Could be interesting.  On the other hand, alts would spread the info to enemy nations and suddenly ships would be appearing from all over the map to feast on the carnage.

You mean pretty much the treasure fleets wrecks?  Every time I gone out there is about a dozen hunters trying to catch a trade Ship.  Hell I use to go out in a board fitted purple marine LGV pre wipe just to hunt the hunters and if I got a chest or trade ship bonus.

2 hours ago, Barbancourt said:

No, it would make it a slaughter and pollute your home waters with enemies.  You'd try to fight the AI fleet and instead just get farmed by the usual PVP blowhards. 

It’s bad enough they jump into normal missions and hostility and you have to deal with players while killing AI or wounded.  This would just be worse.

@Rickard I remember I was so pissed frustrated after the second one I deleted the port I had in the gulf forgetting my totally decked out Reno was in that port from the first one.  A lot of folks where very pissed over all that for 5 chest and no one really PvP 

• Like 1

Let's not rest on memories of things going wrong in the past, let's focus on ideas like that proposed in OP to evolve.

--

I think there has to be consequences if the huge campaign fleet arrives intact at the capital. Not just vanish. People don't care if nothing happens to them in case the fleet gets through. What about halvening stocks in all warehouses the capital has, in case the enemy raid is successful? Symbolizes the enemy has sacked the capital. Now that's a reason to try seriously to prevent that and start fighting back!

Basically every idea can be doomed by "alt abuse". Why we have to hit all the time on the obstacle "alt abuse" if it keeps us from fresh thrilling ideas? Time to fight alts. Once and for all.

-

It's like one group of engineers inventing a new engine and another group of engineers saying "But the brakes. It will only get braked by them. Needless engine improvement."

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac

1 hour ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Basically every idea can be doomed by "alt abuse". Why we have to hit all the time on the obstacle "alt abuse" if it keeps us from fresh thrilling ideas? Time to fight alts. Once and for all.

-

It's like one group of engineers inventing a new engine and another group of engineers saying "But the brakes. It will only get braked by them. Needless engine improvement."

I don't see much alt abuse here, maybe the problem is over inflated? A fleet is required to tag the ships, a fleet of alts is easy to catch.

23 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

I don't see much alt abuse here, maybe the problem is over inflated? A fleet is required to tag the ships, a fleet of alts is easy to catch.

Just a general observation. New ideas popping up. People saying "but the alts..." . End of discussion. Isn't that deplorable? - Fight Alts seriously and don't have to bother about ruining each and every idea...

I've seen it quite often.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rickard said:

newer players do not need to participate in a server event other then in a clan... if the newer players still do then it's his own fault if he gets sunk by a "gank fleet"(a group of players working together).

This "server event" is proposed to happen in the capital of the nation.  It will bring a flood of enemy players into the heart of national waters, which effects everyone.

1 minute ago, Barbancourt said:

This "server event" is proposed to happen in the capital of the nation.  It will bring a flood of enemy players into the heart of national waters, which effects everyone.

No it doesn't have to if you do it thoughtfully and with consideration to the game environment. Message only to the invaded nation, there's no reason why other nations need to know of that nation's event when it doesn't involve them. There's always a few bogies around every nation capital. At the very worse you'll get spies intercepting intel on the fleet, and a nearby nation assembling a fleet to counter your fleet otw to hit the AI. 

PVE server looking more and more appealing, since so many interesting suggestions get shot down due to 'pvp ganks', One of the biggest issues I find with this game is it's either no pvp or pvp 24/7. A middle ground would be nice. Maybe an area around the fleet could be declared a non pvp zone and players that engage the fleet get a long cooldown timer that prevents them from being attacked after the fleet battle is over. Of course there would have to be no running from the battle once joined. 

Just now, Draymoor said:

PVE server looking more and more appealing, since so many interesting suggestions get shot down due to 'pvp ganks', One of the biggest issues I find with this game is it's either no pvp or pvp 24/7. A middle ground would be nice. Maybe an area around the fleet could be declared a non pvp zone and players that engage the fleet get a long cooldown timer that prevents them from being attacked after the fleet battle is over. Of course there would have to be no running from the battle once joined. 

I would really like to see the capital zone for nations expanded. With all the AI around in all seriousness you should be technically safe in game terms. It would be suicide to attack in those waters being in complete sight of anyone on the horizon. But I guess some people don't see it that way because they like picking off people in the gaps of these zones, or under the reinforcements with smaller ships, smaller ships=smaller AI. For example La Requin receives navy brig reinforcements which is a joke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slim McSauce said:

No it doesn't have to if you do it thoughtfully and with consideration to the game environment. Message only to the invaded nation, there's no reason why other nations need to know of that nation's event when it doesn't involve them. There's always a few bogies around every nation capital. At the very worse you'll get spies intercepting intel on the fleet, and a nearby nation assembling a fleet to counter your fleet otw to hit the AI. 

Word will spread across the server like wildfire

Just now, Barbancourt said:

Word will spread across the server like wildfire

Here's a bit of a wild solution, the way the event happens 3 nations at once are attacked. That spreads the forces out a bit that way the whole server doesn't crash on one nation to ruin their fun. If that isn't enough do it all nations at once (except hardcore nations which have no established capital on the map) that way everyone is on the defense more than they are on the attack (unless you're hardcore)

12 hours ago, Draymoor said:

A middle ground would be nice.

Exactly. Into that direction went an earlier suggestion about introducing "consensual PvP agreements" on PvE Peace server when two players meet and agree to fight it out. No force.

But this just as a side note. Don't want to deviate this thread.

What about the invasion fleet having a wandering safety zone traveling with it across the map as it approaches target capital port? Like a circle of 10k around it which prevents anyone attacking the fleet, AND nationals of the nation the target capital port belongs to, from being attacked by other nations? No ganking, no alt spy effectiveness. Only targeted nation deals with the threat. Once invasion fleet gets attacked by sufficient BR provided by defenders, or after it reaches the target port, its safety zone will collapse.

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac