Game-Labs Forum

Question (looting system sucks)

Tomasso il Fortunato

I took a mission in Vera Cruz 2x ships 1st rates . I sunk them . After sunk them i was going to the last one and this happen ... : i got pulled by an AI who was almost sunk . He got attacked me and i was no paying attention and did brace . With the first move he shocked me or i don't know what but i have left some crew on board , why he took my ship ? Why boarding don't get interupted when your ship or enemy ship get sunk . (i didn't had preparation for boarding , just arrived to him i got pulled into boarding + i had distance , this screenshot was taked after 3 min of my reaction).

Santissima Trinidad with poods on .

20181114232717_1.thumb.jpg.448a99a0080af2e6664a38698a6e8ec6.jpg

I did a F11 thinking what it was a bug .

Edited by Captan Thomas Fremantle

This is yet another reason why the looting system sucks. You lost the boarding cause your morale became zero and you weren't defending. AI also seems to have some ridiculous bonuses when boarding. Not a bug, just a broken mechanic. 

Edited by Draymoor
  • Like 1

AI is always ready to board because all AI ships have marines, so if you give it a chance to board you, it will. What you got payed is the insurance for your ship, all ships crafted by players automatically have insurance. Yes your Santisima is insured for only 95 000 reales. 

If a ship is alive it can board you, If the AI has more crew then you the AI WILL board you. The AI always has marines and other boarding mods and from the looks you do not. You died because you lost all your moral to a attack if a attack takes you to 0 moral your crew surrenders.

I think this highlights another issue with how few people actually know how the boarding mini game works.

That's always been like that.  If you approach an AI that has more crew, he will board.  He always has boarding prep and always has marines.  I was in a fight with an AI Frigate with my Herc and as I was tacking close to him, I got down to 2 Knots...He insta-boarded me and nearly took me.  Until he is completely dead (not nearly dead (literary reference here!)) stay away if you have less crew.

Hi Thomas,

This caught me out a few times. Going forward make sure you see the "sink notification" before coming into loot. The enemy ship will always attempt to board providing

a) they are not sunk, b) are in range c) have more crew than you d) you are travelling at slow speed (less than 3knots I believe)

I consider it the enemy making a final attempt at boarding knowing that their vessel is doomed.

Knowing this won't bring back your Santi but at least you're prepared going forward.

Kind Regards

Captain Ahab

If you unsure that you will win the boarding vs a sinking ship, please wait till the ship is sank and only then approach to loot it.
Otherwise enemy might start a boarding - the boarding will continue till the end even if the ship is already sank in the process as both ships tied together in the boarding action

1 hour ago, Captan Thomas Fremantle said:

How already told you , the enemy ship what I wanted to loot were almost sunk . Why the boarding continues when he were already sunk ...?

Because of the last chance system gives you (works both ways). We blame Rafael Sabatini who described this in his book about Captain Blood who boarded the enemy flagship in his sinking Arabella and switched to enemy ship when he won the boarding. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Blood_(novel)

If you are sinking you can also try to board an enemy and switch to his ship if you won. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Captan Thomas Fremantle said:

How already told you , the enemy ship what I wanted to loot were almost sunk . Why the boarding continues when he were already sunk ...?

I brought up to Admin about not allowing AI to boar when it's taking in water or sinking.  Players should be allowed to but if you got all your crew in survival an trying to keep from sinking you won't have board prep up, unlike AI that never seems to be hurting on crew management with marines and survival going on it shouldn't have the board  ready to do so.  

You had 700 crew out of 1000 which means you took damage and had prob a below normal moral.   That is why he beat you, but it had to be really low to instant kill you in once shot.   Do you have hammocks on your ship?

Edited by Sir Texas Sir

23 minutes ago, admin said:

Because of the last chance system gives you (works both ways). We blame Rafael Sabatini who described this in his book about Captain Blood who boarded the enemy flagship in his sinking Arabella and switched to enemy ship when he won the boarding. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Blood_(novel)

If you are sinking you can also try to board an enemy and switch to his ship if you won. 

Though I get the reason for the last chance with players, I don't think it's fair that AI has it specially when they are sinking.  It seems Marines (which they always have 20% of) effects there crews and surval so they pretty much always have 100% minus damage to ship moral and can instant board you even with most decks under water. I  just turn it off for AI to not to be able to when they are half sunk or sinking.  Also why does AI get all the board mods and never gets punished

Ok for players, but AI ships shouldn't be able to do this .

Once i remember i sailed with 3 Indiamans from La Habana to Key West for goods , I got attacked by 3 pirates , my fleet escaped but I was destroyed by enemies cannon fire , I was taking water and had almost the full crew . I started to board a frigate or something else with 70% of water ... my ship sunk and the boarding was interrupted and I lost .