Game-Labs Forum

Basic cutters in patrol zone

I can understand basic cutters are used to sail to far destinations to open an outpost afterwards. I can NOT really understand why players use basic cutters in patrol zones. I don`t believe they don`t have enough resources or money to take an appropriate ship and do some PVP.

I guess the only reason is,because it is allowed to do so. Please remove the ability to enter or start battles in patrol zone with basic cutters. Thank you.

• Like 4

It would make a lot more sense to adjust the game and the event so that people don't have to take basic cutters to the patrol zone. Might as well ban DLC ships from events too, since people take those for the very same reasons, don't want to lose a ship to gank squads. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

so many rules ... is there no ship that is effective at countering a basic cutter.

Any ship can counter a basic cutter.  The problem is that they are sailed without any risk to their captain at all.  They should be in at least a regular cutter if they can be.

17 minutes ago, Archaos said:

They do it because it is easy patrol points for no risk. If you get sunk just get another and carry on.

I know that, but why is this allowed? Other players risk their ships too. Shall we all just use basic cutters in patrol zone? That would be great......

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

Except you don't get any rewards for sinking a Basic Cutter, but you do for sinking DLC ships.  Apples and oranges.

Then they should just change it so you can get points from sinking basic cutters. It's not the fault of the players that taking a basic cutter is what the game is promoting them to do. Make it harder to get ships (specially for new players) plus promote ganking in the pz equals players use basic cutters in the pz. Make the mechanics better and people might take a better ship. 

1 hour ago, Greysteak said:

I wish they were only available to low ranked players and then only when those players have no other ships in the docks.  If that were the case, I wouldn't see a problem with them in the PZ.

They should of done more like a fallback system POTBS had for when you where all out of ships.  Only can redeem one when you had no other ships (war) in docks.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Except you don't get any rewards for sinking a Basic Cutter, but you do for sinking DLC ships.  Apples and oranges.

They should be banned from joining any open battle period, PvP zone or no.

I can perhaps get behind banning DLC ships from the shallows in order to improve the experience for new players in those areas, but that's not what the topic is about.

I'm all for them not being able to enter others missions PvP/PvE either way, but honestlly if all they are doing is hitting PvE AI than you don't have to join them.  You can tell it's a basic cutter cause of the BR for the most part.  The folks I know that bring them do so to avoid the ganks of much bigger fleets to go get some marks from grining AI.   They just happen to get player kills when folks jump in an think it's going to be an easy kill.  I do believe if they ever balance out the zones it would not be needed cause some of the battles turn very quickly into a gank feast as every one joins one side and it's normally the bigger side from the start.

1 hour ago, Hawkwood said:

I know that, but why is this allowed? Other players risk their ships too. Shall we all just use basic cutters in patrol zone? That would be great......

You don't have to jump into his AI battle or tag his basic cutter.....but folks are greedy and want an easy gank so to avoid that is why some bring them.  Fix the ROE in the ZONES and it should help with the avoiding gank mentality.  Also I state again you don't have to join that AI battle after all.

15 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

but honestlly if all they are doing is hitting PvE AI than you don't have to join them.  You can tell it's a basic cutter cause of the BR for the most part.  The folks I know that bring them do so to avoid the ganks of much bigger fleets to go get some marks from grining AI.   They just happen to get player kills when folks jump in an think it's going to be an easy kill.  I do believe if they ever balance out the zones it would not be needed cause some of the battles turn very quickly into a gank feast as every one joins one side and it's normally the bigger side from the start.

So false. On last La Mona patrol I saw bunch of Russians fighting 2 Swedes (690 br Swedes), so I joined and.....

89be0d5e9d893c9150cd3bd7746b8f9d.png

It was AI bellona they tagged to farm the damage and then Basic Cutter joined AI side. That made it 2 ships for 690 BR and how am I supposed to know if thats a death trap?

If that BC wouldn't join the fight I would know its an AI Balloona being farmed and never joined this fight.

Edited by Beeekonda

2 hours ago, Hawkwood said:

I can understand basic cutters are used to sail to far destinations to open an outpost afterwards. I can NOT really understand why players use basic cutters in patrol zones. I don`t believe they don`t have enough resources or money to take an appropriate ship and do some PVP.

I guess the only reason is,because it is allowed to do so. Please remove the ability to enter or start battles in patrol zone with basic cutters. Thank you.

Yes.

they will not be able to join battles soon

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

No. Like most of your posts you are incomprehensibly ignorant of the mechanics involved. Basic cutters come with unlimited repairs and no-cost, making them perfect for trolling in addition to grinding up damage in patrol zones.  Explain to me why you see battles like these filled with max-rank players sailing around in cutters... getting a few broadsides in and then sailing off to repair, then sailing back in for a few more, rinse, repeat:

9E6EC0B8E8755DB6B930A138989FEDD04FB04002

You're telling me all those max-rank players can't afford to buy a store-bought 6th/7th rate or go out and cap one?  Note, I started in my Navy Brig and capped the cutter as I was sinking, and no, I'm not salty because I sunk in a Navy Brig in a gank in the PvP zone, you expect it but it's irritating because there's literally no counter and no reward for fighting them. This is especially problematic in the OW, non-patrol zone events when they're just out and out trolling, keeping you tagged in battle against ships that they literally can't sink. Why fight when it's just plink plink plink, sail away to repair endlessly, and back to plinking?

In the shallow zone 9 out of 10 open battles will be max-rank players in basic cutters grinding against AI, and there's literally no point in joining them because you can't sink them fast enough to avoid being ganked, and there's no reward if you do. 

I'm saying come up with a better solution to it if you feel that's an issue, rather than say 'ban what I don't like'. If people want to sail cutters cause they prefer to then they should be able to, why do they have to do what you prefer they do? Maybe they don't feel like wasting money on ships cause there is no reason to other than, some other players not liking it. 
I'm saying if these events were done better then you wouldn't see cutters there. 

Edited by Draymoor

1 minute ago, Draymoor said:

Crafting even a 5th rate is expensive and unsustainable to have it sunk after one battle for a lot of players. 

5th rates aren't too expensive to craft. In fact you should be able to harvest pretty much everything you need, except the wood for the ship itself (assuming you want something other than fir or oak). And you can capture the fancy woods in traders.

Furthermore, when it sinks you get a nice amount of insurance. I got something like 40 or 50k reals from sinking one of my disposable Wapens yesterday in the patrol zone. Granted thats a 4th rate, but still; insurance will apply to 5th and 6th rates too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

Are you joking?  Literally 3 capped trader brigs nets you not only the reals but most likely the woods as well to craft a cutter. One more will net you the amount needed to keep it in guns and repairs for multiple trips to the PvP zone.  I'm very much beginning to think you don't play the game as much as you whine on the forum. 🙄

Well I think you just think of what works for you but strongly fail to consider the entire player base. Here crying cause the event doesn't work for you instead of thinking how to make the event better for the entire community 😂
Maybe if you spent more time doing what you preach you'd know currently many trade routes are broken. 

6 minutes ago, Beeekonda said:

lol how about actually playing the game? 

If it was as easy as that then... this issue wouldn't exist in the first place. Would players be taking cutters if this was such a non-issue? 

Edited by Draymoor

As has been said before if its to expensive for you to buy/craft a ship. Just capture one there are 5th rate AI sailing all over the place with guns already on them just cap one put reps on it and your good to go. Their is no excuse for using basic cutters in the patrol zone at the very least use the cutter to cap a ship and then use that ship.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Draymoor said:

If it was as easy as that then... this issue wouldn't exist in the first place. Would players be taking cutters if this was such a non-issue? 

Capturing, crafting, store bought ships? Its not even a pickle or privateer its a BASIC CUTTER! Other players don't get any rewards for that crap.

And yes, it is cheap to craft ships, easy to capture them, and cheap to buy from the shop.

17 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Are you joking?

Nobody is joking, it’s the map, there’s disparity.

Some areas are voided of low level NPCs, 7th and 6th rates, T-Brig's. I’ve travelled south Cuba coast, Caymans, Nicaragua coastline, Colombia west coast, and nothing, only a very few low level NPCs, in-fact only two T-brig’s in all those journeys. Higher level targets like 4th and 3rd are everywhere, these targets aren't a problem, especially for Admirals. 

This is why reports are so varied, anyone in the Bahamas and higher NPCs are hit their targets but most other places are voided of raiding, hence the disparity.

9 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Non sequitur much?  This thread has nothing at all to do with trade routes... and trade is even easier than it has been in the past after patch 27 so I'm not sure where the gripe is there...

You're the one who brought up trading dude, not me. 

11 minutes ago, Beeekonda said:

Capturing, crafting, store bought ships? Its not even a pickle or privateer its a BASIC CUTTER! Other players don't get any rewards for that crap.

And yes, it is cheap to craft ships, easy to capture them, and cheap to buy from the shop.

Well I'd say pz would be a better event if it pulled in more players not less. If you haven't noticed the number of crafted ships in shops is a lot less than it was before, buying materials for ships is harder, collecting them takes more time. You're saying all these players would be down to capture several ai ships a day to take to the pz? Everyday? At least I personally doubt that.