Game-Labs Forum

Very Low quality PvP

4 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

What about a "duel" button which invites the enemy player to duel, you can do it anywhere, if they accept it creates an arena that they can be pulled into or something.

This sounds okay but I think it should require the players to both enter a port after pressing the button to actually start the duel.  The same port maybe?   Press the button anywhere in the OW inside of the attack circle, yes.  But make the participants get back to a port to begin instead of making a new kind of 'exit' from the OW that could be abused.

6 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

What about a "duel" button which invites the enemy player to duel, you can do it anywhere, if they accept it creates an arena that they can be pulled into or something.

Assuming we can whisper of a dream, then it would cool if you did have to be in the same port and ship for a duel--ideally in a Free Town or Capital only--and you ask someone to duel just like you would ask them to for a trade in chat. You could even use a similar UI to the trade one, where you could see the ship, mods, and knowledge slots on each ship--or make this display optional, for the more competitive types. From there it would be just the normal duel scenario from the old Duel Room with no losses and no rewards. In a perfect world, the duel scene would resemble the area around the port you're in, but that may be difficult to manage. 

Honestly though, duels for competition's sake are largely long gone--I say that because the amount of veteran players who would agree to a 1v1 are incredibly few--so their primary use would be to help newer players actually try out all these ship types and mods using someone who isn't a robot. I know from experience that showing someone how to do something is easier than typing it in Help chat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

If your response to ganks is "hurr just gank them back XD" then you're...

...actually ideas I think will improve the game on a serious level.

If you think ganking is good for the game, or even some fun you're one weird ass type of person, sandboxer or not.

Yes, I too find the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach to anti-gank-pro-fun ideas to be unimaginative. I've just given up on fighting for OW in general, it seems Chris wants his gankbox. Eco, full-loot-loss and doubloons fueled player psychology is a force I have no hope of changing.

2 hours ago, Christendom said:

Solo hunting, while still viable, should be the exception rather than the rule....it's not easy.  It's far easier to go out in a group and gank, which is why everyone does it.  

I believe more viable solo-play (pvp ofcourse) would play an important role in the recruitment and retaining of players. I won't settle for "as good as it gets".

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

Why are battles like this promoted? Better to not have said battle than to have it, all it does is demoralize the losing side, and inflate the heads and pockets of the ganking side.

Why not impose some sort of ROE change to make regular pvp more accessable and balanced? You're hurting your own game allowing such extreme ganking in a game that should be more than OMFGROFLstomping over your enemy with the biggest wall of ship you can muster. How about a change?

https://www.strawpoll.me/16834118

This is a suggestion topic

what is your suggestion? 

38 minutes ago, admin said:

This is a suggestion topic

what is your suggestion? 

Every Growing 1.5x BR ROE

https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/27498-low-quality-pvp/?tab=comments#comment-597968

Paired with a balanced, skill-based repair system

https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/27502-the-definitive-suggestion-on-repairs/

But I'm fairly certain you are being facetious, you aren't actually considering these suggestions as crucial, considering my most well supported suggestion https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/25424-spotting-from-land/
Has not gotten any notable response from developer

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jodgi said:

Yes, I too find the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach to anti-gank-pro-fun ideas to be unimaginative. I've just given up on fighting for OW in general, it seems Chris wants his gankbox. Eco, full-loot-loss and doubloons fueled player psychology is a force I have no hope of changing.

I believe more viable solo-play (pvp ofcourse) would play an important role in the recruitment and retaining of players. I won't settle for "as good as it gets".

You misinterpret my meaning.  Solo play is important and viable and it should remain as such.  EASY solo play should not.  Going out and solo'n enemies and doing it successfully is hard.  And it should be.  Going in, snatching that one frigate or trader while you have 5 enemies join your battle to chase is fun.  Any schmuck can go out solo these days in a Slim McChain special, fir/fir, and snag a kill or 2.  Making it back home is a different story.  Being a good solo pvper is a skill and it should remain as such.  

And in terms of the gankbox, a large portion of my pre-doubloon wealth was all the PVP books + best mods + somewhere between 1100-1200 PVP marks.  Majority of which were done solo.  Other players had more I'm sure, most didn't get them solo.  I prefer the solitary hunting style of play and only really pop on TS to play with the clan once they all get on after work.  There is something incredibly satisfying about de-masting a spanish herc, boarding him and then hitting the jets out of battle in a 14.2knt trinc while the 7-8 Habana reinforcements attempt to catch up and insult you in Spanish.  

All that said, solo PVP should be hard.  Good players will always be good at it.  Bad players....... will just make posts complaining like my pal Slim here.  

• Like 4

Personally solo play is 50/50 for me.

50 I'll get a fight before getting ganked.

50 I'll get ganked before getting a fight.

But I use cheap ships designed to fight off a gank then glug glug so I don't have to sail back, so it's all fun.

Forget those 14knot + ships, they are the boring ones. Most of my ships aren't faster than 12knots. But then again I sink all the time so probly best to ignore me.

• Like 2

Yes, change RoE in the patrol zone. As someone who had suggested multiple times to bring back the PvP zones, I have only been there twice because of RoE.

Otherwise, I think normal OW battles are fine. I have primarily solo hunted for 2.5 years now and I think the current system is the best yet. If you don't want to fight outnumbered, then it is probably not a good idea to hunt in enemy waters solo. 

I would rather see development efforts put into increasing the invisibility timer. Most of the times i get sunk, it is by revenge fleets camping my battle location. There's nothing like getting out of a nice challenging 1v3 battle and having 10 players sitting there waiting for you....

Edited by Capn Rocko
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Capn Rocko said:

Yes, change RoE in the patrol zone. As someone who had suggested multiple times to bring back the PvP zones, I have only been there twice because of RoE.

Otherwise, I think normal OW battles are fine. I have primarily solo hunted for 2.5 years now and I think the current system is the best yet. If you don't want to fight outnumbered, then it is probably not a good idea to hunt in enemy waters solo. 

I would rather see development efforts put into increasing the invisibility timer. Most of the times i get sunk, it is by revenge fleets camping my battle location. There's nothing like getting out of a nice challenging 1v2 or 1v3 battle and having 10 players sitting on top of your battle....

Yes you'd rather have those 10 players in your battle. :)

8 hours ago, Christendom said:

All that said, solo PVP should be hard.  Good players will always be good at it.  Bad players....... will just make posts complaining like my pal Slim here.  

Ganking isn't a skill you doofus. Name a single suggestion you've made that has been added to the game to positive effect. You mention me personally so much I'm starting to think you have a crush on me or something.

Solo PVP in the system I proposed still has room for ships to join either side. You look away from this because you can't argue against it. Your posts reek the most of cognitive dissonance. Maybe you should explain your thought process how saying I'm trash for sailing fir/fir and in the next paragraph bragging about escaping battles in your 14knt trinc, because if you don't start aligning to some sort of solid belief I'm gonna start calling you mr. pants and making jokes at your expense on global with very little effort and I know you don't want to be embarrassed publicly like that.

Also the majority of battles are not solo duels, 10v3 is just as common as 1v5, and when repairs are limited to non-pants levels you'll be wishing you had some sort of equalizer to prevent you being mckited by 25 sloops of war. Ya dingus. :D

Edited by Slim McSauce

The cruises of the Pinguin, Alantis, Graf Spee, Scharnhorst, the U47 all single  ship, operations,  (while Scharnhorst was renowned for hunting with her sister ship Gneisenau until she was placed out of commission and deemed beyond repair, such was their fame, that they were usually referred to as Salmon and Gluckstein by the sailors who hunted them) all famous, all tied down more ships to hunt them down than they were actually worth. One Captain with one ship can cause so much chaos, (even Tirpitz, who spent most of her wartime career swinging around a buoy in the Fjords of Norway tied down the Home fleet for years, just as the Kaisers High Seas fleet did after Jutland, and, indeed, Villeneuves fleet at Toulouse and Cadiz) to the point where they needed to be hunted down as a matter of national survival, such is the nature of Naval warfare.

The few Captains in game who emulate Admirals Marschall and Lutjens, Captains like Hans Langsdorf or Gunter Prien are without doubt Captains worthy of the title, Metatastic Disease, Alucard, both of whom I have faced and usually lose to, fully understand the role they undertake, Both accept that if you go into harms way alone there is the risk you will either be sunk or run out of the area by a herd of rather annoyed enemy sailors, they accept that risk, often, with remarkably more grace than some of their pursuers.

There are other Captains who also sail solo and are generally successful, they pick their fights carefully, they'll stand and fight when they have to, or, simply out sail their opponents,  for me, win, lose, or draw against them makes playing a worthwhile experience, a Captain can only do so much when he is outgunned, out maneuvered or just plain unlucky, sometimes, you'll get away with it, more often you cannot, so, all you can do is sell your ship for as high a price as you can get for her, and, even if they do not say so, you, will have earned a little respect for trying to stand your ground against the odds, or, even escaping such overwhelming odds after a running battle.

In such circumstances it does not matter how good you are, the odds are the same whether it is your first, or, hundred and first battle, you will either survive or you will not, even the most skilled Captains, with the ultimate fighting ships can still lose a battle, after all, most the above Admirals and Captains died with their ships, they were all highly trained professionals with state of the art ships, and, very successful careers.  

Captain John Paul Jones said it best when he said 'give me a fast ship for I intend going into harms way' he did exactly that, just as Nelson believed 'any Captain who laid his ship alongside the enemy could do nothing wrong', he, also, did exactly that, neither Officer was wrong in their viewpoint. At the end of the day, if you do the best you can, with what you have, under the circumstances you face, you can do no more than that, and, if you can keep your good name, and the good name of your ship, clan, or nation, win, lose, or draw then you have done all any Captain worthy of that title can do.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

If ganking takes no skill then how are people so shit at it?

Gear is big in this game. You see how someone else does it and you do after. You don't have the gear you sink. If you don't have the gear you have to be much more gankier. If you have you can be more direct and gear may safe you from a mistake or even 2.

Ask what gear they have before you evaluate how good they are at ganking.

Gear is nothing. You can use stuff that's cheap and easily beat others. You just have to fight differently, or sail around differently, or bait, or ambush, or create hostility, or just do anything other than what all the other sheep do.

All gear is good for is making a fast ship that is relatively uncatchable, personally I just hurt these ships then when they sail away to do their 10 min kite until repair, I leave them to it, they make the most pointless boring battle's anyway.

I use only the cheapest upgrades and only get sunk most of the time.

But most of the time is a gank so not important.

Ofc everyone will deny this and say gear is everything, having never tried to play differently with different ships and only sailing t/wo.

Edited by traitorous mctraitoro
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

Ganking isn't a skill you doofus. Name a single suggestion you've made that has been added to the game to positive effect. You mention me personally so much I'm starting to think you have a crush on me or something.

Solo PVP in the system I proposed still has room for ships to join either side. You look away from this because you can't argue against it. Your posts reek the most of cognitive dissonance. Maybe you should explain your thought process how saying I'm trash for sailing fir/fir and in the next paragraph bragging about escaping battles in your 14knt trinc, because if you don't start aligning to some sort of solid belief I'm gonna start calling you mr. pants and making jokes at your expense on global with very little effort and I know you don't want to be embarrassed publicly like that.

1 - read my post and comprehend it.

2 - a t/t or t/wo trinc can go 14knts with gear.  If you were to have accumulated PVP marks you'd know more about it.  my pirate frigate that has sunk many a US player on your coast and the very Pfrig you ran away to the forts from a couple nights ago that was faster than your endy, is t/wo.  Sink a lot of players and you too can afford nice things.  Fir/fir is for chumps.  

3 - if you haven't been reading these forums or global for the past 2 years and have not caught on.....I'll let you in on a little secret.  I don't care how the public regards me.  It's a game.  

a4a7cde7029da15ab1fda5134608a645.jpg

Here's a fight where you lost badly a week or 2 ago.  I sat next to you side by side with a t/t endy with no upgrades (stupid UI...) where I was already 50% dead and still beat the crap out of you.  Zaphod had a nice bellona and we took it home.  In this fight you embraced every aspect of being the fir/fir gank noob you are known to be.  You and Django outpaced your big ship, let me split you up and sink you 1 by 1, you went side to side with a better captain while I pinned you upwind and well....died.   Nuff said.

3 hours ago, Christendom said:

2 - a t/t or t/wo trinc can go 14knts with gear.  If you were to have accumulated PVP marks you'd know more about it.

Wow, not even my fir/fir endy with gazelle, navy hull, and bovenwinds reached 14.4. A teak ship reaching that speed? That's a huge gear advantage you must have.

my pirate frigate that has sunk many a US player on your coast and the very Pfrig you ran away to the forts from a couple nights ago that was faster than your endy, is t/wo.  Sink a lot of players and you too can afford nice

Teak/WO reaching 14+ knts with gear, faster than I could achieve with my fir/fir endy with full speed mods. Wow what kind of books are you using to give you that much of an advantage?

Sink a lot of players and you too can afford nice things.  Fir/fir is for chumps.  

Ok I think I get it now! I need to gank in order to become super rich and powerful, then once I become rich and powerful, I become unstoppable because my ships are so much better than everyone else's. It all makes sense now, thank you.

2 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

Ok I think I get it now! I need to gank in order to become super rich and powerful, then once I become rich and powerful, I become unstoppable because my ships are so much better than everyone else's. It all makes sense now, thank you.

.  Unfortunately yep that's generally the only path to "success" in this game for most players.  

3 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

Wow, not even my fir/fir endy with gazelle, navy hull, and bovenwinds reached 14.4. A teak ship reaching that speed? That's a huge gear advantage you must have.

Teak/WO reaching 14+ knts with gear, faster than I could achieve with my fir/fir endy with full speed mods. Wow what kind of books are you using to give you that much of an advantage?

I'll reiterate my first point - read and comprehend my posts.  

74642f5307bee7fd3e5a498ea0015835.png

Nothing fancy.  Gotta spend money to make money.  But then again.....you're still using gazelle.

3 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

Was this a gank?  Nope.

a4a7cde7029da15ab1fda5134608a645.jpg

You're just a part-time player who whines because he can't win fights.  

I'll give you my suggestions one more time before ejecting out of this post.  

1 - don't sail fir/fir
2 - properly equip your ships
3 - find a friend to sail with
4 - less time whining on the forums and more time learning how to fight.

Later bud!

• Like 2