Game-Labs Forum
Norfolk nChance

Book: Trafalgar: The Biography of Battle

Book: Trafalgar: The Biography of Battle

Roy Adkins circa 2004

https://www.amazon.com/Trafalgar-Biography-Battle-Roy-Adkins/dp/0349116326

Thought I do this book review to add to @SirAlatriste great post from P.K Allan’s text

https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/27218-the-aftermath-of-trafalgar-a-philip-k-allans-text/

I got a signed copy as a birthday gift from Mum & Dad years ago due to my interest in the Napoleonic Wars. At the time it was land based conflict my focus and didn’t read the book for months. Although grateful I found the Patrick O’Brian novels dry so an Historical factual piece would assume be even worse. The better of two weevils so to speak...

That was my loss, it’s a brilliant read and not dry at all. I genuinely couldn’t recommend it enough.

The first part of the book covers what I’d call the ground work. Adkin sets the scene well with the Politics from all sides without the use of hindsight or bias. The real threat of a French invasion of the UK. He then goes on to flesh out life on board a blockading ship and the different types of ships and uses employed.

Nelson, is an obvious heavy detailed feature here but Adkin doesn’t go overboard drowning out the other participants. In fact, his view of Pierre-Charles Villeneuve I found interesting at the pre- order of Battle meeting he held with the Spanish Admiral Federico Gravina in the Cadiz port and change of mind the following day.

Adkin builds up the tension without slowing the pace or skipping details. The actual battle itself lasted somewhere around six hours and confusing at times. The author breaks the action down very clearly stage by stage into time sliced maps making it a clear moving scene. Normally everybody knows visually the two British lines crossing the T of the French/Spanish line map and that’s it…

The aftermath of the battle and the Hurricane all detailed. The delay in news reporting fascinating considering todays instant noodle fake stuff. The book also comes with ship list and Captains with Gun-sizes, High detailed Maps, picture plates and detailed battle maps.

In Closing…

Over all two thumbs or five stars. The one nagging thing I took away from it was this. Collingwood’s HMS Royal Sovereign hit the line first. This due to a new copper bottom fitting. However, it took an age for the back half of his line to join in or help…

Norfolk nChance

• Like 3

Nice!

There is also that free online book: The enemy at Trafalgar: an account of the battle from eye-witnesses' narratives and letters and despatches from the French and Spanish fleets

Which has at the end an interesting appendix, the battle order from Villeneuve (in French) which shows that the French knew what to expect from the British.

And then there are the drawings of the battle plans from Magendie (capt of the Bucentaure).

Since you're also interested on the land part... I have just finished reading Napoleon: Soldier of Destiny by Michael Broers which is only volume 1 of 3 and I have been pleasantly surprised by this book.

When reading books on Napoleon you always think you already know everything about it especially after having read a few. :D But I have to say that I really appreciated the perspective of the author on this one. A lof of the books on him are hagiographies (thinking about Napoleon: A Life by Andrew Roberts where you can feel the political views of the writer) or the complete opposite.

I will start volume 2 by the end of the year I think.

It makes me think that the subject of Napoléon Bonaparte is one of the most interesting to read and research about because of its complexity and how different authors will see a different man in his actions.
I'm sure you know Stefan Zweig who did a psychological portrait of Joseph Fouché, one of the best I ever read about a complicated man and I wish that he had done one on Napoleon.

Anyway going back to Michael Broers I really liked his first volume on Napoleon. The beginning was very interesting as he started with the history of his family and its relation with Corsica.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Louis Garneray said:

And then there are the drawings of the battle plans from Magendie (capt of the Bucentaure).

THIS MAP IS IN THE BOOK...

This French/Spanish group absolutely knew and also Nelson's arrival to take charge. 

Villeneuve agreed to remain in port and allow the weather to play its hand first on the RN. He changed his mind the following morning not taking the easy choice!

Thanks for the notes on Napoleon. My 50th next year and the wife wants me to do this...

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/Properties-list/hougoumont-waterloo/Holiday/

… while she goes shopping in Paris.

N.

1 hour ago, Norfolk nChance said:

THIS MAP IS IN THE BOOK...

This French/Spanish group absolutely knew and also Nelson's arrival to take charge. 

Villeneuve agreed to remain in port and allow the weather to play its hand first on the RN. He changed his mind the following morning not taking the easy choice!

Thanks for the notes on Napoleon. My 50th next year and the wife wants me to do this...

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/Properties-list/hougoumont-waterloo/Holiday/

… while she goes shopping in Paris.

N.

Great (the map) and excellent for the trip :D I'm also hitting 50 next year... but no fun trip planned for me... yet

• Like 1

Thanks you Norfolk.

I read some years ago a Trafalgar's book writed by Arturo Pérez-Reverte. He use a fictional ship to relate the battle. But it is a really nice book (like all Pérez-Reverte's books, always looking for historical fidelity) and a short and funny version of the battle.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 4:17 PM, Louis Garneray said:

I'm sure you know Stefan Zweig who did a psychological portrait of Joseph Fouché, one of the best I ever read about a complicated man and I wish that he had done one on Napoleon.

The second i put it down i ordered every single book he has ever written. Excellent content, excellent writing: excellent author.

• Like 2