Game-Labs Forum

CSA Legendary Campaign - Minimal & Customizations Mod

pandakraut

Wow I just looked back at my campaign record and it's way better than I remembered :D. But all my small battle prowess could not compared with your huge victory at Gaines' Mill. I think I'll have to replay that one. And this is with the AI & UI mod since the beginning too.

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

m3.jpg

m4.jpg

m5.jpg

m6.jpg

m7.jpg

m8.jpg

m9.jpg

m10.jpg

Edited by Jamesk2
  • Like 1

Excellent numbers overall. I was surprised that our numbers didn't match at Potomac Fort. There must be some randomness involved that I haven't been able to pin down.

Many of those early battles I could definitely improve upon. From what I've seen I tend to average a 10-15% increase in casualties when I actually record. I would swear it changes the game RNG since the AI starts doing odd stuff  and I discovered commentating and playing at the same time is harder than I expected.

To follow up on your question of difficulty when using 2k vs smaller here are Kristoph42's comments from a Steam thread. He's actually played through both campaigns with multiple sizes.

"I used to play like Bobcat, all my INF were 2k and bigs were 2.5k + strong. I tried a campaign like Panda where my INF were all about 1.1k and the bigs were 1.6k+ strong. My current play now is very similar to PaloAlto, average size is 1.5k and bigs are 2.2k. Each way has advantages and disadvantages. Like someone said, "it comes down to your playstyle" and "your tactics". Im currently liking the 1.5k size army more and more. 

The game is about the same with either style because the AI plays like you play. If you have large units, the AI will have large units, and small units equals smaller AI units (although the AI still tends towards outnumbering you). Im not sure there is a better way. It all balances out and comes down to the tactics you use and your playstyle. Personally, I like the 1.5k and 2k bigs style."

Doing some more comparisons, the big outlier is Cross Keys and 1st Winchester where I could have added several thousand men for little to no scaling. I'll freely admit I was somewhat keeping units smaller to prove a point. The smaller units definitely work better in the Rebalance mod where rifle damage is lower.

Saunders Farm: Using the Col Kelly method of distracting on the left while flanking around the fortifications on the right and taking advantage of most of the extra time provided I get an excellent result and make it out positive in manpower. Could have been even better if I hadn't remembered the wrong ending time.

Losses: 9359(1872 returned from medicine) Kills: 40995

Laurel Hill: I deploy mostly snipers and artillery to support the allied units, bring in more infantry to replace the allied units as they break, and then bring in a lot of artillery to get rid of the Union guns.

Losses: 9708
Allied: 4750 
Returned from medicine: 992 
Kills: 45501

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Washington: Camp phase where I use up over a million dollars.

Day 1: The first day of Washington is by far the worst grind of the game. No winning through artillery alone here. Despite some better fortifications design than other battles most positions can still be bypassed, flanked, or completely surrounded and destroyed.

Day 2 Camp: Using up the last of my resources before going into day 2.

Day 2: Normally the southern phase of this battle is the hardest part of day 2, but with the size curves fixed the mass of union artillery in the north becomes extremely dangerous. 

Losses: 46622(9324 returned from medicine) Kills: 236313

Edited by pandakraut

• 3 months later...

Hi Pandakraut,

I love your mode. I play with v. 1.7 CSA legendary.

In second Bull Run instead of fighting on the ridge (as you did) I just destroyd coming Union forces separately.

image.png.c3aa4e0f2d62d9918ef06990b793c8f0.png

image.png.5fef90d612f4aaa1f671a00966c85963.png

Regards

Cobramys

Edited by Cobramys
  • Like 1

Excellent results. I haven't experimented with 2nd Bull Run to much, but figuring out a way to setup a forward defense and wipe out the Union units as they come in definitely makes sense.

Looks like you're bringing in a lot more artillery than I did. Were the extra in the reinforcing corps or were you using larger units in your primary corps? 

• 2 weeks later...