Game-Labs Forum

More Outposts, More Dockspace

Lack of number of outposts and lack of dockspace to spread ships around severely limit the outreach to pvp the average player has, this is a problem because currently pvp average is very low even on war server. taking territory is almost useless because you can hardly take anybody out to a pvp because it has to be near an outpost or bust for regular players. I would like to defend my home territory AS WELL as attacking other nations without having to pick and choose which one I do.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ra Mhotep said:

Sometimes less is more.

3 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

I'm not keen to just take your word on that. Explain how less is more in this circumstance 

If you want more quality PVP (you do want quality pvp based on your post about ganking)  you don't want more outposts you want less outposts. Then for example you found a nice solo target his friends wont be able to jump into location easily. Outposts favor biggest side. Real solo player unconsciously wants zero outposts in game even if they help him occasionally. 

• Like 7

@admin 

Outposts do favor the biggest side in most situations, but they help condense the map into managable space, and allow players to hold more than one area.

If there were no outposts, every sail would be a long one. Just to get to combat (if you didnt have enemy's on your coast) would be like an hour average. Not to mention you have to sail back, you cant manage any of your ports back home from deep in enemy territory, maybe not a problem for a crafter but a pvper who wants to craft and also defend their own water at the same time they need multiple outposts.

I'm not denying I wouldnt want no outposts, but that would be a completely different NA that we're already pasts now that we do have outposts, they're kind of an eccential part of the game, especially staging pvp fights. 

RvR isnt as useful when the ports arent being used, that's the case with many ports that are just too out of the way with too little going om around them to be important or worth while.

More outpost and more dockspace should be added that way I can go take a port with the clans of my nation, put and outpost there and use it instead of having it out there too far to sail too from home waters.

35 minutes ago, admin said:

If you want more quality PVP (you do want quality pvp based on your post about ganking)  you don't want more outposts you want less outposts.

This is an important point.

Outposts, or more specifically the ability to spontaneously pop into existence at any one of them, directly encourages gank squads and unbalanced PvP. Personally I vote for more outposts, more dockspace, the aforementioned "trade wind" travel speed buff and the ability to interact with docks, buildings and contracts remotely, but in exchange put teleporting on a timer. Like a serious one. At least an hour.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, admin said:

If you want more quality PVP (you do want quality pvp based on your post about ganking)  you don't want more outposts you want less outposts. Then for example you found a nice solo target his friends wont be able to jump into location easily. Outposts favor biggest side. Real solo player unconsciously wants zero outposts in game even if they help him occasionally. 

Very well said, Sir. I like the current amount of outposts as it limits zergs a fair deal and requires strategic choice of outposts.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TheHaney said:

This is an important point.

Outposts, or more specifically the ability to spontaneously pop into existence at any one of them, directly encourages gank squads and unbalanced PvP. Personally I vote for more outposts, more dockspace, the aforementioned "trade wind" travel speed buff and the ability to interact with docks, buildings and contracts remotely, but in exchange put teleporting on a timer. Like a serious one. At least an hour.

No. That would hurt gameplay in so many ways. Just think about it.

Most of the time teleport is used to check stuff, what's in this warehouse, what's in this shop. Visit admirality etc etc, it would be doable but some things would need to change for it not to become too tedious. 

Edited by Ra Mhotep

Even without the DLC we have plenty of doc space believe me I got so many ships stored up on hay I rarely use many of them.  

As for our post I still think capital should be free for all players (shroud for the nations that shouldn’t be in game.) on top of you 8 and + one more that could be part of a DLC or special mission gift for total of 10.  Out post limits more tha casuals and econ/trade guys than the die hard PVPers that might work out of Freetowns more than anything.  I tend to use three for Econ 2 for main nation defense and three for fighting ports.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, admin said:

well, it works both ways...

at the moment there is more than 1 outpost, what means i can be jumped by 25 Russians, and because of the zerg,  i can not even call friends in.. to help me. it is what it is already...

why not make every outpost/port free and you have to buy and/ or rent a warehouse, and have access to that outpost/ port because you have a warehouse in the port.

leave the teleport out of it...There is Timer teleport.. only sailing to a port will give you the ability to buy or use a warehouse immediate.

if you have a ship in an outpost you can sail/jump freely from that outpost, and you have to have a ship in an outpost to function as an outpost (ship slot/ and jump)

and perhaps with a timer to jump from port to port  ... if there is a timer... your problem is solved... and we are free to choose how many outposts we can rent[upkeep] ( max 20)..(expensive rent  :) , and if the rent [warehouse rent,  per port per day (if you come back after a week you pay first if you jump to that port [factor 7) ]  is not paid your ship in that port is on the chain [you pay first before you can use that port or ship] )

The timer is not on the jump, if you  look in the port warehouse  for stuff, but on the use of the ship in that jumped port(15 minutes battle waiting timer)

the only free harbor is the main capital. the rest are rented warehouses (pirates have free harbors in every freeport [now they have their plus... awaited for so long as well]) 

some people wants to have more warehouse ports to have access for upgrades for example because they can not achieve it in their own waters...

some people want to have access to other waters to get into less violent water from time to time to prevent ganking all the time

some people want to have more ports  to have more access to trade or buy stuff remotely to sail it away on a later moment (to buy so to speak for a later trade run)

some people want to have a port just to have access to the other side of the world (because it is too far away sometimes if you have your house in Dariena  i can believe that the islands in the right corner of the map are undiscovered water forever.

there are many more ideas for why captains needs (wants)more outpost  [edited]

it is all just a thought, but also doable,  or a hidden thingy or you have a data problem...or it is to much programming work for the moment

-other option:

or no restrictions to ports, please ....the zerg is not an issue anymore ......it is already there .....and lonely players get ganked every minute,.. there is no excuse to give them the club of pain for the ports and outpost issue...

also, the 10 dubloons on jumps is ...is ...is ...is a bit on the childish side of thinking.... it drains the trader and not the pvp captain...

ps... Less is not more... it is less...its a bad phrase. (so many many many  things is asked for by so many ..... whoops!!!  1 Dutch ship :) )

Forgive me my bad English and thoughts it is not meant as a rant or troll or insult...(perhaps i do insult everybody, but it is not meant that way)

Edited by Thonys

17 minutes ago, Thonys said:

there are many more ideas for why captains needs more outpost  

Not need, want.

19 minutes ago, Thonys said:

or no restrictions to ports, please ....the zerg is not an issue anymore ......it is already there .....and lonely players get ganked every minute,.. there is no excuse to give them the club of pain for the ports and outpost issue...

It is not only about the "zerg". It is about making the seas more active, not less. People already sit in ports jumping left and right doing their thing without having to actually journey the seas.

We have enough tools to avoid long distance sailing, don't overdo it.

26 minutes ago, Thonys said:

also, the 10 dubloons on jumps is ...is ...is ...is a bit on the childish side of thinking.... it drains the trader and not the pvp captain...

That is not true, as you can get alot more dubloons from pve then from pvp.

I sink an enemy player sometimes I get betwen 10-50 or so depending on ship. I can sink a traders brig and get 500, then you can jump back and forth 50 times, so no, that is not an issue really. 

32 minutes ago, Thonys said:

ps... Less is not more... it is less...its a bad phrase.

No comment.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ra Mhotep said:

That is not true, as you can get alot more dubloons from pve then from pvp.

I sink an enemy player sometimes I get betwen 10-50 or so depending on ship. I can sink a traders brig and get 500, then you can jump back and forth 50 times, so no, that is not an issue really. 

if a trader wants to buy 20 oak logs in the other port  but also has to pay for 10 balloons(for jumping) and want to trade it later.... that are expensive logs for that trader to trade (young captain)

on the big bulk it is nothing ,but for the small captain it is a lot(i see no purpose in it)

"It is not only about the "zerg". It is about making the seas more active, not less. People already sit in ports jumping left and right doing their thing without having to actually journey the seas.

We have enough tools to avoid long distance sailing, don't overdo it

it depends where you can have access to the building items  i need at least 7 ports in the area to get my stuff and have no access to other regions because of it.

(Renting a warehouse, and owning a port space ( separately ) and jump to it , is probably the answer... but who am i , i am not a developer)

Edited by Thonys

Just now, Ra Mhotep said:

Yes, jumping to a port to buy 20 oak logs might not be worth it.

Young captain should do something else.:), like sink a trader o so and get dubloons.

Young captains should be encouraged to set up outpost across the map, and not worry about running out, or having to delete one outpost to create another. It's kind of funny half the map gets unused because they're so unnaccessable and out of the way, what's the harm of allowing a few more outposts so people can go out of their way a bit more, a bit more out of the comfort zone and establish more of the map instead of the same old hotspots?

8 outposts, 

2-3 for eco,

2-3 for attack,

2-3 for defense. 

So what happens when the frontlines move, or a new enemy emerges on the other side of your territory. Shit out of luck, you're deleting a couple million worth of stored materials and warehouse space, as well as whatever ships are there if you can't take the time to tp all of them out before you start losing territory.

Point is hardly anybody goes through the trouble of this, instead they just don't participate in PvP/RvR because you have to constantly relocate and spend countless hours doing so because you're deleting and reopening outposts like crazy just to keep up with regular transfer of ports.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Young captains should be encouraged to set up outpost across the map, and not worry about running out, or having to delete one outpost to create another. It's kind of funny half the map gets unused because they're so unnaccessable and out of the way, what's the harm of allowing a few more outposts so people can go out of their way a bit more, a bit more out of the comfort zone and establish more of the map instead of the same old hotspots?

perhaps separate the warehouse, and the port for dock space is the answer...

but then again we need more buildings..... because a warehouse is a building (sigh)

The pfff..this game has more restrictions than i thought ...

Waiting for the next sentence:

"You have a warehouse here, but not a port dock space .... buy a port first. " (when jumping to another warehouse or port [you have to sail out....lol  ] ) 

Edited by Thonys

17 hours ago, admin said:

I've probably played solo about half my game time since moving over from the PvE server last Spring.  I don't have an opinion on the PvP aspect of this.  The economy is another matter.

Maxing out on outposts is really the only way at present for a single-account player to get around transaction stove-piping caused by not being able to see other players' contract activity without visiting a port.

The restriction has the effect of concentrating player-to-player econ inside of populated ports.  Reducing the number of outposts WITHOUT providing some sort of global contract visibility will further discourage player dispersion.

Incidentally this is a big factor in why folks get bored quickly on the PvE server.  Leave the populated areas and you are unlikely to see any other players.

I must not have been a real solo player.  That I might want zero outposts was news to me.

Edited by John Jacob Astor

On PvE I wanted to have every ship in the game on standby, but couldn’t through a lack of docks.

For an enthusiast or even just a gamer, dock space is a must!