Game-Labs Forum

Alternative to Doubloons

Hello all,

I have a suggestion that I think would meet the concerns that many have about doubloons while still keeping with the spirit and intent that @admin and the other developers have with them.

While "reals" would remain as is, a different form of currency would be used in place of doubloons, which I call "Fame". Rather than be a tangible resource to be plundered (and at the mercy of RNG and thieves), fame would be automatically applied to your account/character as you accomplish actions that give fame. It would not involve looting ships, but would be automatically awarded in the same way that in previous patches of the game gold and XP was based on doing damage, sinking ships, etc.

All actions that a player takes, whether sinking, capturing, etc would generate an amount of fame. This would simulate the way captains historically made a name for themselves. It would also accurately and historically allow very noble defeats or close battles to give rewards to players.

The application of fame can be weighted in any way that the developers choose, and this would perhaps go a long way to restoring the balance that many players feel the game should have: that PVP should be more (monetarily) rewarding than PVE. Thus, sinking a player Victory earns you more fame than sinking an NPC Victory. It also would accurately reflect how many captains historically made a name for themselves: you can become famous by outstanding performance in battle, or by capturing/sinking fleets worth of merchant ships. So, no matter what you do you gain fame, but again - it can be weighted in whatever direction the developers want to steer players.

Finally, from another historical perspective, it makes much more sense when you consider things like permits and other items from the Admiralty shop. Under a system that utilizes "fame", once you reach a certain point, you are now "famous" enough to receive a permit to build a line ship, instead of just purchasing one like a corrupt shipbuilding agent! And by weighting, you can eliminate all other forms of currency (marks, etc).

I like having two forms of currency to differentiate between normal expenses and more important ones, but I agree with others that the randomness and necessity to loot to pad doubloon income (apart from accomplishing missions - which could just as easily award additional fame much like the old missions awarded gold and xp) is unfair to more casual players. 

I would submit that my suggestion is a balanced compromise that would seem to give everyone what they want. Thank you for your consideration.

• Like 2

@Sir R. Calder of Southwick

Thank you for this post, but you should remove the historical reference from their reasoning. Because when building ships of all navies in the world, only one thing was really important, money and raw materials. Even a famous sea hero like Admiral Nelson or the British Sea Dogs (Frobisher, Drake, Raleigh) could not build ships or equip expeditions themselves. Behind every action were financiers and an admiralty, who could build and maintain ships only in economic terms.
It may be true that I prefer to entrust my ships to a man of reputation, but for the construction of these ships only economic factors are decisive.

+++++++++++++++

Danke für diesen Beitrag, allerdings sollten sie aus ihrer Argumentation den historischen Bezug entfernen. Weil beim Bau von Schiffen aller Marinen der Welt, war nur eines wirklich wichtig, Geld und Rohstoffe. Auch ein berühmter Seeheld wie Admiral Nelson oder die britischen See Dogs (Frobisher, Drake, Raleigh) konnten selber keine Schiffe bauen oder Expeditionen ausrüsten. Hinter jeder Aktion standen Geldgeber bzw. eine Admiralität, die nur nach wirtschaftlichen Gesichtspunkten Schiffe bauten und unterhalten konnten.
Es mag richtig sein, dass ich meine Schiffe lieber einem Mann mit Reputation anvertraue, aber für den Bau dieser Schiffe sind einzig und allein wirtschaftliche Faktoren entscheidend.

Edited by Hellmuth von Mücke