Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Banished Privateer

100th anniversary of regaining independence

Hello folks,

Topic maybe not exactly related to the navy, but I've managed to find a promotional video with a touch of sea theme and on top of that I'm sharing few pages from the book "Britain, France, and the Naval Arms Trade in the Baltic, 1919-1939: Grand Strategy and Failure" describing how the first navies were formed after the WWI and how they advanced later. It's quite impressive in my opinion, how just in a matter of days the nation forms its navy. Maybe the navy was not as impressive, but the fact of how country re-organized itself in such short time periods is.

image.thumb.png.df020da4bc3e4d774f7d370da83a33b0.png

image.thumb.png.4f606402d0fc68f8e469ae3deeff9bfb.png

image.thumb.png.1620daba1161d0b8df3653e4626f36c8.pngimage.thumb.png.e03937166a70a501f031be87977bd8b1.png

Edited by Polish Privateer
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, Flakbait said:

Didn't they also technically gain their independence after WWII, and when the USSR collapsed?

Poland was technically occupied during the WWII but still existed (war continued and no truces or treaties were signed). After WWII Poland was under the influence of Russia, one of the Soviet Block countries. We were in theory independent, but we regained our sovereignty. The main difference between Sovereignty and Independence is that the Sovereignty is a concept that a state or governing body has the right and power to govern itself without outside interference and Independence is a condition of a nation, country, or state which exercises self-government, and usually sovereignty, over the territory.

Overthrowing Soviet Union' influence actually happened in 1989 and the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991, so 2 years after :) 

Edited by Polish Privateer

Note that the main Warsaw landmark has been edited out of the video at 00.28 (the palace of culture and science, which the current nationalistic political party in power behind the foundation that made this video absolutely hates due to its soviet related history, they actually wanted it destroyed -the foundation is noted as being a propaganda tool of the party in addition to its aim of promoting poland abroad).

The official reason for editing out the famous landmark from the video is... copyrights. Which is not true when the buidling is used a part of a panorama rather than by itself. Imagine a similar video of London with Big Ben edited out or of Paris with the Eiffel Tower edited out.

They're always pulling some stuff like that.

I'm not getting into a political debate, just pointing out that the source of the video and the change made in this video should be kept in mind while watching it.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

On 11/12/2018 at 10:09 AM, Captain Jean-Luc Picard said:

Note that the main Warsaw landmark has been edited out of the video at 00.28 (the palace of culture and science, which the current nationalistic political party in power behind the foundation that made this video absolutely hates due to its soviet related history, they actually wanted it destroyed -the foundation is noted as being a propaganda tool of the party in addition to its aim of promoting poland abroad).

The official reason for editing out the famous landmark from the video is... copyrights. Which is not true when the buidling is used a part of a panorama rather than by itself. Imagine a similar video of London with Big Ben edited out or of Paris with the Eiffel Tower edited out.

They're always pulling some stuff like that.

I'm not getting into a political debate, just pointing out that the source of the video and the change made in this video should be kept in mind while watching it.

I haven't noticed that, nice catch. Personally, I see no issues with the building itself. It's not promoting communism in any way and its part of the history.