Game-Labs Forum

Here's my suggestion for raids, very simple check it out.

First you take a trade ship, you go to enemy port, when the name of the port comes up under it it says "raid" you click this and a 3 minute timer comes up, if you do this without interference then you will get a "raid chest" to take back to port.

Rules regarding this, you can only do 1 raid chest per port per day per player. So each player can each take a stab at a raid as long as  they haven't raided that port that day.

The raid will not take anything from existing players warehouses, it will simply grant new items to take home.
Additionally, maybe, each successfull raid will add 1% to hostilities

Enemy players will be encouraged to defend from these raids, and take back the chests.

Simple and easy, and some nice content to go along.

• Like 2

Just now, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Sounds too easy to me. Maybe should incorporate some minigame while you're at raiding to spice up difficulty. In the way our boarding game functions.

--

Ah yes, prepare for some imbecile stopping over, calling your idea 'arcade' and suggesting you go and play XYZ game. 😁

minigames aren't bad, for the sake of keeping it simple as possible I left out the possibility of some type of action for the raid in favor of having the basic functionality in place so we can enjoy it sooner rather than later :)

I'd very much rather have an arcade game than no game at all. The simplest version of a raid is better than no raid, you can always improve on it but this version of a raid is content that can be added, maybe within a week using code from the lost trader fleets.

Let's not over complicate things, we've been asking for raids for years and constantly told it cannot be done or it's on the list wayy down the line. Well here is a raid we can add very soon that will immediately benefit the game without getting in the way of bigger localization and tutorials.

• Like 2

I visualise raiding as a two-step process.  There is what you can steal, and your concept covers this.  There is also what you can destroy (to deny it from the enemy).  I agee that you don't want to wreck other players warehouses, but what if you had a 'pillage" function that would impact port taxes or limit port crafting for a period?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

I'd very much rather have an arcade game than no game at all.

Didn't mean to call your idea 'arcade'. I leave that to others who don't have any idea what 'arcade' stands for but use the word as a denigrating tool. As a matter of fact just an ironic reference to a comment done to my own suggestion yesterday.

So, as you see by my 'likes', I am all for your idea here. :) Raiding has been mentioned in threads or posts which dealed with making pirate 'nation' unique, so in the first place it's something for pirates, but before we don't get it at all, I'd say; give raiding to all nations...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

First you take a trade ship, you go to enemy port

51 minutes ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Sounds too easy to me.

sounds like a single player could generate 200 chest or however many enemy ports there are, with no risk at all, if a enemy showes up, he can simply enter the port with his trader.

and should a raid involve traders at all? normally they are the targets of a raid. would like to have a raid mechanic very much, but it should have a lot of cannon fire and destruction.

how about you take a raid mission like you would take a hostility order. when you sail there and start it, you spawn some distance away from the port, any defenders spawn at the docks. in order to do a succsessful raid, you have to shoot at the town, but you have to destroy the coast defense first. if you manage to do that you can claim the raid reward back in your port. a raided port doesnt generate tax, resources or trade goods for 2-3 days. no extra reward for the defender, apart from a lot of doubloons for the sunk attackers. perhaps a limit in defender br to match the attackers br. maybe an ingame warning for a port beeing raided?

edit: sounds somewhat like a portbattle now that i read it, but simply sail there and get a chest is way to easy

Edited by Durin

I understand, 'arcade' can be viewed as a negative but being relative its a whole lot better than nothing at all.

Thanks for the support but the aim is to keep things as simple as possible as to be managable as a suggestion as well as inplemented in the quickest,easiest way possible

Edited by Slim McSauce

Oh, so I can go around in a cutter and hit 50 enemy ports? And they likely can't do anything because of undock timers and the fact I'm in a cutter?

I made a comment on another thread earlier about how "players will always optimize to the point of boredom." This sounds like an incredibly boring thing that everybody will be stuck doing to stay competitive.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheHaney said:

Oh, so I can go around in a cutter and hit 50 enemy ports? And they likely can't do anything because of undock timers and the fact I'm in a cutter?

I made a comment on another thread earlier about how "players will always optimize to the point of boredom." This sounds like an incredibly boring thing that everybody will be stuck doing to stay competitive.

if a cutter can carry the weight of the chests, sure, no bc though. Sounds like easy money until you get picked off and your loot stolen.

Also this gets people more spread out on OW doing lots of sailing, so if you somehow manage to hit 50 enemy ports then good on you, you deserve it because that's loads of sailing back and forth. Moreso than I think is even really possible in a day of play even if you don't get caught.

Edited by Slim McSauce

1 minute ago, Slim McSauce said:

if a cutter can carry the weight of the chests, sure, no bc though. Sounds like easy money until you get picked off and your loot stolen.

Really all this does is force people to keep a tricked-out trader lynx around, then.

2 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Also this gets people more spread out on OW doing lots of sailing,

That's what people are doing already with the changes.

so if you somehow manage to hit 50 enemy ports

If the loot is garbage, nobody will do it at all. If it's good, everybody will have to.

because that's loads of sailing back and forth

There's quite enough of that, thank you.

28 minutes ago, TheHaney said:

Really all this does is force people to keep a tricked-out trader lynx around, then.

That's what people are doing already with the changes.

If the loot is garbage, nobody will do it at all. If it's good, everybody will have to.

There's quite enough of that, thank you.

a lynx is even less weight to its hold. 

I would do this for lack of better option, tell me what else is there to raid?

find me an easier way to promote pvp and get people moving for as little coding as this

Edited by Slim McSauce

haha, no. You've completely missed the point.

Oh, sorry, I thought we were comparing suggestions on how to promote PvP. All the PvP'ers are bitching about doubloons.

The word of the day is facilitation and no we're not trying the same old (mind you what you just said is exactly what todays patch did)

That's kind of the point, the entire series of recent patches has drastically increased players' motivation for OW travel. I don't see a need, yet, for another mechanic that has every chance of turning into a boring slog from port to port. It's like a crappy trade route.

• Like 1

How about, an exclusive pirate "Raid PB" that could be following the below steps:

==> You are in any friendly port (neutrals & freetowns excluded), you select 1 "Port raid flag" from a pop up list showing all hostile ports , capitals included.

• When selected, the faction owning that port will have a warning (like the old flag system).
  • A port "raid flag" has a 3 hours cool down (just an example), during that time no other pirate player can anymore select it. If not used the "raid flag" vanishes or lose validity. 
  • Raids are not depending on port timers (if there are !).

==> You get out with any ship, that will show "raid flag" in OW.

==> You must sail with your ship where the crossed swords is ramdomly placed nearby the port to be raided. (only raiders can see the swords).

==> When you are in through instant enter by clicking swords (if not hunted before) you will always face double random BR ships against you.

==> Any player defender (player of same Faction of that port) being docked in that port, can enter the "raid battle" during the 3 min cooldown before battle starts.

• The "Raid PB" battle and it's entering cool down, starts when 1 attacker get in.
  • Any docked defender player will see a window message to select and click enter (defenders can get in till maxi BR).  
  • If there is no player defenders that join the "raid battle" the raider player will fight against AI's.
  • If some defenders join, in time, they will have the BR complemented by AI's (to reach the double defensive BR). 

==> "raid flag" allow to create "raid group" to invite brothers, any joiner will get the "raid flag" tag too, then defending BR gets adapted to always double attacker's BR.

==> Battle is won when all AI's are dead and all towers are destroyed, within 90min (just an example) battle. no matter if defender players are still superior after that time.  

Could that be a feasible process ? Are there roads or highways for exploits ?

Then when Raid battle is won, rewards must be evaluated, could it affect hostility ? could it affect Port taxes ? could it affect players outpost ressources ?

valuable chest ? reals or doublons ? Port material production ?

Should attackers deserve a safe return with goods and captured ships ? only if raid is won ? 

It must be risky to win, but when won quite lucrative & safe.

Rewards for defenders could be considered too, to encourage these defensive operations.

21 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

it's called a raid and its the ultimate mix between trade and combat. If you don't want to do it that's fine, plenty of people would and all it takes is a minor amount of coding to implement a whole brand new feature into NA that can always be expanded on down the line

I like the idea but there has to be risk.  Doing it in a cheap trader is practically zero risk.  The risk should be high and the reward great.  Make it so you have to use a 5th rate and you have to pay doubloons to participate (kitting out costs of the raid).  If you get ganked coming out with your loot though, the defenders don't get the loot (goes back to the town).

48 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

I like the idea but there has to be risk.  Doing it in a cheap trader is practically zero risk.  The risk should be high and the reward great.  Make it so you have to use a 5th rate and you have to pay doubloons to participate (kitting out costs of the raid).  If you get ganked coming out with your loot though, the defenders don't get the loot (goes back to the town).

I have the solution if you want to hear it. It's very easy, just make the weight of the individual chests a heafty 1k units. That's constiution and up for combat ships and t brig and up for traders. That's a pretty fair compromise don't you agree?

The defender's reward if they catch one of these is the chest, so really it's promoting both sides to participate same as the lost trader fleets draw a dedicated crowd of haulers and pirates.

57 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Yeah. Maybe you need to do this in Indiamen exclusively. First for the troops you need to land for sacking a whole town. Second for the loot you collect from their homes and need to stow on your ship. Ah yes, and third reason is you need accomodations for the wenches you want to bring with you to your brothel business in home port taverns. 😂

• Like 1

I have the solution if you want to hear it. It's very easy, just make the weight of the individual chests a heafty 1k units. That's constiution and up for combat ships and t brig and up for traders. That's a pretty fair compromise don't you agree?

The defender's reward if they catch one of these is the chest, so really it's promoting both sides to participate same as the lost trader fleets draw a dedicated crowd of haulers and pirates.

That's why I mentioned the defenders don't get the loot.  It's not a very big stretch to see how that could be abused.

Just now, Angus MacDuff said:

That's why I mentioned the defenders don't get the loot.  It's not a very big stretch to see how that could be abused.

It's not any more abusable than regular farming of alts which is already strictly enforced. You'd have to be pretty dumb and desperate to farm in this manner.