Game-Labs Forum
admin

Pre-release and release wipe plans - definitive guide

I don't care if there is even a conplete wipe, I did one for me and it was much more fun than being the highest rank all the time. 

For me fun of the game is not upgrading the ships with mods until no one can kill me anymore with standard ships. It is more steering the ship surprise the enemy with your action and in the best case sink him in the end. I would even like to remove all repairs from battle. 

Skill should win not mods.

So just wipe everyting, give the veteran players a nice ship for testing effort, that might be replaced if lost, and let's start our naval careers again.

• Like 4

I guess, considering the current situation, a wipe might be the solution towards a re-populated server...

I just got a bad feeling that the server is actually jammed.

Whatever we went through, whatever the bonus we gained laboriously, whatever the ships we own, etc...

If it costs a wipe to recover playerbase, i'm for it.

Let's accept this pain before the release, it might do better than where we are now. 

(A map wipe could be a new start, announced as final official NA map/theater ?)

BUT, it should be explained with a clear program of following steps. 

• Like 1

No, a wipe will definitely wipe the players's will for logging in.

We are talking here about farming again a lot of stuff. 

New players that join the game 2 months after the official release wont have the same stuff than the one that began on day 0. 

We should be wipping the game several times a year with that mentality, which is a mistake.

• Like 2

wipe or no wipe. lets get on with this release thingy. Reset the map and lets GOOO!!. rvr will be back,  players will be back. 

Ps: silent stop leaking the enemy so hard pb is over before it actually really starts. 

• Like 1

one more comment the only whipe in my opinion on a regular basis should be the map. 

3 months reset maybe. top 3 nations gets a special reward. Only pvp pb counts and actual players who are in pb get a reward.

World of tank style. You loose a santi in a pb you cant sail a santi for a couple of days in a pb.

just wipe the server and get it done with a fresh start on release  we only need the one wipe everyone starts from scratch on release and map wipe once a year should be enough to keep it fresh with new distribution of port ownerships. yes the wipe will hurt alot of hardcore players but if they are so hardcore they will do the collecting all over again. the crying of the anti-wipe crew is of thoses that dont want to loose their advantage and power over other players and dont want to go out and collect them again.  i'm not saying i have everything but i have plenty and dont mind loosing everything for what will make it fair for new players. 

UWO had a full wipe when it changed ownership from OGplanet to Papaya plays after 8 years with hundreds of thousands of dollars spent by players on in game goods for a free to play game most of those that hated the wipe of everything still play and spend money on the game, even more now then before. so from that games perspective which is also an age of sail game a wipe didnt kill the game it made it more fun it allowed many new players to grow and enjoy the game along side the vets and returning players.

for this game a wipe may and probably will have the same or similar effect for a wipe on release.

Edited by Crimson Sunrise
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Intrepido said:

New players that join the game 2 months after the official release wont have the same stuff than the one that began on day 0. 

We should be wipping the game several times a year with that mentality, which is a mistake.

+1

Wipe or not wipe, here in what a question...
During life with ON, I experienced uncountable quantity of wipe. I learned to live without moneymaking something in a game, senselessly. After the last wipe I did not even collect mega the book. Why, if always the situation "is wipe soon"?
However reading this subject I got confused a little. Why now wipe what aims are pursued is necessary? Whether wipe is expedient now?
We need wipe to protect mythical "beginners" in a game? Let's assume that in few months a large number of "beginners" will come to a game. Let's do Wipe again?
The new player will not be able to resist to the veteran, it is obviously false, and distracting argument. Therefore, in the way cares for "new" players there is no sense. Old players leave, it is even more, already a game was left by most of old players. Many wait for a vayp again not to save. Many do not want to develop the character anew "again". Again not to bomb NPC with madness in eyes.
Look to the truth in eyes, during all the time a game was bought by N igok. Now online 300-400. Where all other "old" players who bought a game earlier? They were offended by "veterans"? Nonsense. It was too heavy to them to develop in a game? Nonsense. They were offended by ganker? Forget about it.
To do wipe because old things in a game interfere with new mechanics it correctly. To do wipe to balance "beginner" and "veteran" in a game a nonsense and "fight against windmills".
Ask a question to "old" buyers of a game - "Why you left a game? Why you do not play?". Perhaps it will give more thoughts that is made not truly.

Sorry google translate...

Hi 

I'm actually playing and slowly grinding on both servers, but with the great white wipe coming the 21 jan (dixit Steam)....

1. Are you planning merging PvP and PvE for the release ?? 
  2. If yes, what is your plans? White flags? PvE zone?
  3. if Yes , will books knowledge and ship XP acquired in PvE will be transferred too the merged server?

My last question: Should I stay focus on one server because they will be the same, or should I continue to grind both?

Cheers guys

9 hours ago, Medniy Sandal said:

Wipe or not wipe, here in what a question...
During life with ON, I experienced uncountable quantity of wipe. I learned to live without moneymaking something in a game, senselessly. After the last wipe I did not even collect mega the book. Why, if always the situation "is wipe soon"?
However reading this subject I got confused a little. Why now wipe what aims are pursued is necessary? Whether wipe is expedient now?
We need wipe to protect mythical "beginners" in a game? Let's assume that in few months a large number of "beginners" will come to a game. Let's do Wipe again?
The new player will not be able to resist to the veteran, it is obviously false, and distracting argument. Therefore, in the way cares for "new" players there is no sense. Old players leave, it is even more, already a game was left by most of old players. Many wait for a vayp again not to save. Many do not want to develop the character anew "again". Again not to bomb NPC with madness in eyes.
Look to the truth in eyes, during all the time a game was bought by N igok. Now online 300-400. Where all other "old" players who bought a game earlier? They were offended by "veterans"? Nonsense. It was too heavy to them to develop in a game? Nonsense. They were offended by ganker? Forget about it.
To do wipe because old things in a game interfere with new mechanics it correctly. To do wipe to balance "beginner" and "veteran" in a game a nonsense and "fight against windmills".
Ask a question to "old" buyers of a game - "Why you left a game? Why you do not play?". Perhaps it will give more thoughts that is made not truly.

Sorry google translate...

most of the old players left due to lack of content and lack of players, its simple straightforwards, then things changed something kept many active players who had fun the game became a chore something that required too much time grinds and spending time gathering that it became less fun as each new patch each major change. the merge of servers did not boost the servers pop it caused it to crash, what worked with 3 servers was not going to work with 2. yes we had alot less players but we had working server communities, too many changes happening back to back stuff being removed and then a few patches later re-added to the game. this type of changes bothered many of the players that left and i'm not surprised. this game cant stay afloat with just 300 active players.

as for when we hit release we have maybe new players join this game if they join a midway thru game with no wipe it gives the impression that those that played before release get all these cool toys and gifts and new players get nothing, they start at a significant disadvantage. yes we will always get new players but we only get 1 release. the game leaving EA leave alpha stage.  new players will come and go but a release leaves an impression on many new players. "ok were leaving the testing phase" , "cool this game just released cant wait to play".  many games do a wipe when releasing, this game yes takes months to get all these books again. it doesnt change the fact u will still play whether u have these books or ship with or without a wipe. 

if u quit because u lost ur books then it wasn't a game u were willing to spend more time playing because u didnt get what u wanted. a wipe gives a clean slate on release. instead of EA players getting a more then years head start on new players on a fresh released game coming out of EA it doesnt give new players much of a hope of having a fun time.

currently we have other nations ganking new players outside starting ports charleston, KPR, la habana, mortimer. and other ports. this wont be the case if a wipe happens on release. no one will have the economy, ships, skill books or mods to start harassing new players outside capitol ports. the map and all players on release will be fresh.

if we dont wipe there is no reason to goto release status because EA and release will be the same nothing will change. patches will come and go. the game state will remain the same and continue to degrade as we continue to loose players to lack of content lack of motivation.

its up to you devs but dont waste the release on leaving the game as it is

8 hours ago, Ptigibus said:

I'm actually playing and slowly grinding on both servers, but with the great white wipe coming the 21 jan (dixit Steam)

33 minutes ago, Ptigibus said:

naval action Steam page

Captain, where exactly wipe on 21th January was announced? Could you please provide a link?

It seems you are misreading somewhere, e.g. pre Early Access wipe on 21th January of 2016 year, when Early Access started.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Crimson Sunrise said:

most of the old players left due to lack of content and lack of players, its simple straightforwards, then things changed something kept many active players who had fun the game became a chore something that required too much time grinds and spending time gathering that it became less fun as each new patch each major change. the merge of servers did not boost the servers pop it caused it to crash, what worked with 3 servers was not going to work with 2. yes we had alot less players but we had working server communities, too many changes happening back to back stuff being removed and then a few patches later re-added to the game. this type of changes bothered many of the players that left and i'm not surprised. this game cant stay afloat with just 300 active players.

as for when we hit release we have maybe new players join this game if they join a midway thru game with no wipe it gives the impression that those that played before release get all these cool toys and gifts and new players get nothing, they start at a significant disadvantage. yes we will always get new players but we only get 1 release. the game leaving EA leave alpha stage.  new players will come and go but a release leaves an impression on many new players. "ok were leaving the testing phase" , "cool this game just released cant wait to play".  many games do a wipe when releasing, this game yes takes months to get all these books again. it doesnt change the fact u will still play whether u have these books or ship with or without a wipe. 

if u quit because u lost ur books then it wasn't a game u were willing to spend more time playing because u didnt get what u wanted. a wipe gives a clean slate on release. instead of EA players getting a more then years head start on new players on a fresh released game coming out of EA it doesnt give new players much of a hope of having a fun time.

currently we have other nations ganking new players outside starting ports charleston, KPR, la habana, mortimer. and other ports. this wont be the case if a wipe happens on release. no one will have the economy, ships, skill books or mods to start harassing new players outside capitol ports. the map and all players on release will be fresh.

if we dont wipe there is no reason to goto release status because EA and release will be the same nothing will change. patches will come and go. the game state will remain the same and continue to degrade as we continue to loose players to lack of content lack of motivation.

its up to you devs but dont waste the release on leaving the game as it is

You are wrong about new getting killed. Vets will fast have better ships. In the start they just hunt in Herc and Lrq. But you could have a point about new players be more safe, because I doubt there will be many vets back if all is wiped.

Yes you are right. If ppl don’t want regrind after a wipe, the game is not for them. I’ll be one of those leaving. The game is allready a grind, actually to much. So no I am not going to do it again.

1 hour ago, staun said:

You are wrong about new getting killed. Vets will fast have better ships. In the start they just hunt in Herc and Lrq. But you could have a point about new players be more safe, because I doubt there will be many vets back if all is wiped.

Yes you are right. If ppl don’t want regrind after a wipe, the game is not for them. I’ll be one of those leaving. The game is allready a grind, actually to much. So no I am not going to do it again.

i'll be one of the players to leave if we keep loosing players as it is , this game has reached stagnation

1 minute ago, Crimson Sunrise said:

i'll be one of the players to leave if we keep loosing players as it is , this game has reached stagnation

Most players are in a break. A RvR break cause of not patched mechanics after eco patch aswell as the holidays break.

The portbattle in Nassau showed who is on a break in HAVOC. We have like 1-3 online normally now, at the PB we had 16 online.

A RvR patch would get us back in the new year :) 

Anyway, even if pop doesnt grow now the important thing is release. Right now there is not much stuff to test 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Crimson Sunrise said:

It ended has.

Still love the fights. They are still out there. Had as an example a good one against some Prussians yesterday at the Settlement. But in general we just don't have the players any more. I am fine go out solo, but where the fun for me is, is when we have some bigger close fights. But those I used to play with is not much online anymore, so I'll to be less online a vicious circle.

4 minutes ago, rediii said:

Most players are in a break. A RvR break cause of not patched mechanics after eco patch aswell as the holidays break.

The portbattle in Nassau showed who is on a break in HAVOC. We have like 1-3 online normally now, at the PB we had 16 online.

A RvR patch would get us back in the new year :) 

Anyway, even if pop doesnt grow now the important thing is release. Right now there is not much stuff to test 

u say were on a break we must of been on a break since september cause its only since then that we've had these huge fluctuations in player count and activity about sept 18th ish it started to show a rapid decline in players, before on sept 3rds and before we averaged about 750 players online now we have about 300 active players online at a given time, that not a break anyone calling that a break is kinding themselves it took an attack on nassau to get HAVOC online, if nassau was never attacked HAVOC would still be mostly inactive. this game doesnt have what it needs to keep even havoc online every day consistently. u say its an RvR patch whats stoping havoc from attacking another port with those numbers. nothing is, is it.

5 minutes ago, Crimson Sunrise said:

u say were on a break we must of been on a break since september cause its only since then that we've had these huge fluctuations in player count and activity about sept 18th ish it started to show a rapid decline in players, before on sept 3rds and before we averaged about 750 players online now we have about 300 active players online at a given time, that not a break anyone calling that a break is kinding themselves it took an attack on nassau to get HAVOC online, if nassau was never attacked HAVOC would still be mostly inactive. this game doesnt have what it needs to keep even havoc online every day consistently. u say its an RvR patch whats stoping havoc from attacking another port with those numbers. nothing is, is it.

There was no RvR patch, thats the thing why even havoc isn't online atm

go and cry in your corner :P 

35 minutes ago, Crimson Sunrise said:

u dont need an RvR patch to go do RvR's

So much truth in such a small sentence.

I made ma point several times in different threads and communication channels already and wont repeat anymore

21 hours ago, Intrepido said:

At some point in the distant future there will be a reset.  Then people will have fun finding stuff all over again. 

30 minutes ago, Barbancourt said:

At some point in the distant future there will be a reset.  Then people will have fun finding stuff all over again. 

They need to make the grinding fun in the first place.

Imo, it is still quite basic and boring. And I can assure I have been perfeccionist in all the games that it did the farming thing with varied and interesting quests.

3 hours ago, Ink said:

Captain, where exactly wipe on 21th January was announced? Could you please provide a link?

It seems you are misreading somewhere, e.g. pre Early Access wipe on 21th January of 2016 year, when Early Access started.

my bad ;)

but I still have questions :)

1. Are you planning merging PvP and PvE for the release ?? 
  2. If yes, what is your plans? White flags? PvE zone?
  3. if Yes , will books knowledge and ship XP acquired in PvE will be transferred too the merged server?