Game-Labs Forum
admin

Pre-release and release wipe plans - definitive guide

Captains.

Here is the guide on the pre-release wipes.

What is the wipe: Wipe is a full or partial reset of the account that is usually done before releases or after big patches by many developers to test the clean slate of the game and find glaring holes in economy or other things that are not noticeable if money supply is huge. 

We plan to do at least 2 partial wipes.

• 1 partial wipe will happen on the launch of the game
  • 1 partial wipe will happen 2-6 weeks before the launch of the game
  • There could be other partial resets in the pre-release months but if they happen they will only cover some narrow area (like reals, or certain class of ships, or certain resource)

Release wipe: Partial wipe will be applied on release of the game that will happen after localization is deployed and tested by all players (including asian languages). As described above one will happen on release, and there will be another sometime before. 

What will remain on your account and in what form (not going to be touched)

What will definitely remain on your account (will not be touched)

• Rank: XP level will remain but new ranks could be introduced and crew thresholds might change as a result
  • Crafting rank: XP levels will remain - no changes expected
  • Player account (with name)

What will almost definitely remain on your account (will not be touched), unless there are some significant issues with the recovery of those items.

• Acquired books: books will remain but some stats of the books might change
  • Knowledge slots: ship mastery XP will remain, but thresholds might change

What could potentially stay on your account (will not be touched) if there are no changes in the ship db structure or other issues with the reset.

• Uncraftable gifted ships

Everything else will be reset and removed. Ships, assets, reals, clan warehouses, everything not included in the list above. 

There is no ETA for the wipes yet. This topic will be updated once we have more information. We just wanted to give this early heads up, so you stop worrying about books and knowledge slots. 

• Like 44

3 minutes ago, admin said:

What will almost definitely remain on your account (will not be touched), unless there are some significant issues with the recovery of those items.

I am relieved to hear this, and yet I believe it would be better for the post-release state of the game if these things were also wiped. It's going to take a long time for those buying in on release to catch up to the rest of us. 

I guess letting us keep books and ship knowledge is relatively unintrusive to the gameplay experience, and it might be a small price to pay compared to the outrage some might cause at having to start grinding slots from scratch.

Edited by Anolytic
  • Like 7

Is it still the plan that release is coming close after localization?

Can we help with localization? I'm pretty sure the community could help a lot here

• Like 7

1 minute ago, admin said:

Can you please clarify what do you mean exactly here?

Edited by victor

I am very excited and looking forward to it. Also glad you decided to keep books, as it will allow me to complete my collection before I die of old age and also give new players a chance to aquire the most wanted ones without having to compete with all long term players for them after release.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, admin said:

Does this cover used books only (knowledge obtained after reading the books) or the books itself also (items in your warehouse)?

Asking for a friend...

2 minutes ago, victor said:

Maximum XP needed to fully unlock your slots may increase but your already collected XP will remain on the ship. Example: You have now unlocked all 5 slots on surprise but the total may be raised at some points, leaving you with only 4 unlocked thus far, since the new total will be higher.

14 minutes ago, admin said:

What will remain on your account and in what form (not going to be touched)

What will definitely remain on your account (will not be touched)

• Rank: XP level will remain but new ranks could be introduced and crew thresholds might change as a result
  • Crafting rank: XP levels will remain - no changes expected
  • Player account (with name)

What could potentially stay on your account (will not be touched) if there are no changes in the ship db structure or other issues with the reset.

• Uncraftable gifted ships

I had hoped that books and knowledge slots will stay as they are because it is an enormous amount of time and grind to get them. This has cured my premeditated pre-release depression.

edit: grammar

Edited by HMS Victory
  • Like 6

Just now, Sovereign said:

Maximum XP needed to fully unlock your slots may increase but your already collected XP will remain on the ship. Example: You have now unlocked all 5 slots on surprise but the total may be raised at some points, leaving you with only 4 unlocked thus far, since the new total will be higher.

If you were right, basically Devs could then fiddle with exp xp as they like, even putting it to zero for a certain ship by means of raising the cap of first slot to a number of xp points higher to the ones that now are needed to open 5 slots..

6 minutes ago, victor said:

It means (I think) that you might need to acquire more XP or some ships would require less XP to open knowledge slots after the threshold is increased or decreased.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

I am relieved to hear this, and yet I believe it would be better for the post-release state of the game if these things were also wiped. It's going to take a long time for those buying in on release to catch up to the rest of us. 

I guess letting us keep books and ship knowledge is relatively unintrusive to the gameplay experience, and it might be a small price to pay compared to the outrage some might cause at having to start grinding slots from scratch.

Those who have played Beta and still play, too grind books and slots so it is more of a subjective point since new players will not experience frustration in the same way as old players do when they would have to do this over again for "x" reason.

17 minutes ago, admin said:

Everything else will be reset and removed. Ships, assets, reals, clan warehouses

I think this is very hard for the Naval community and it will have its consequences. a player who does not spend the day doing PvP, because there are other things to do in the caribbean server, when he will get those 9000 doubloons and 3 VMs to build a first one? Do not you think that with these measures people will do even more PvE on the Caribbean server? Greetings.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, admin said:

Thanks @admin, dont want to waste time with unlocking slots it takes a lot of time.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

hello no. to grind ship knowledge slots is fun, when you do it first, on the second run it becomes annoying

• Like 2

The issue I have with not doing a full wipe - new players to the game will encounter players with all these extra skills.  Not only will existing players already have game knowledge, but a significant amount of advantage from all these books.

We want new players to stay - and most will get frustrated by being a second class citizen.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Elric said:

The issue I have with not doing a full wipe - new players to the game will encounter players with all these extra skills.  Not only will existing players already have game knowledge, but a significant amount of advantage from all these books.

We want new players to stay - and most will get frustrated by being a second class citizen.

How about now.. or 2 months after release - situation repeats? The problem you described does not exist because its happening in every multiplayer game. New players sometimes face existing players and can only be solved by monthly wipes like Rust does it. 

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, admin said:

How about now.. or 2 months after release - situation repeats? The problem you described does not exist because its happening in every multiplayer game. New players sometimes face existing players and can only be solved by monthly wipes like Rust does it. 

Yeah, but we are talking about "START OF THE GAME".

Everyone understand the business when he joins in later. But if someone buys the game in so called "Day 1" he expects everyone the be on the same page.
And as soon they will realise that's not the point, the word will spread on the internet. Possibly resulting with hundreds of potential players saying "No, I'm not going there if that's the case".

Especially in the game, where they can be attacked by anyone, and permanently loose what they have.

And now? Geez, I could have understand, that we will stay with the XP and craft XP. I don't like it in a wide perspective but I can understand that.
And now? Even books and ship knowledge? Can You imagine how much time it will take for new players to catch up to the same level? To get 5 ship knowledges, get the Art of Ship Handling etc. etc? MONTHS

Wondering how many of them will actually stay in the game for that time, instead of just quitting it.

Don't get me wrong, I know that's pain in the ass to farm those crazy books etc.
I will miss all my collection books etc. etc.

However, if we risk few players who don't wish to grind again, but on the other side of equation we have potential loss of new playerbase...

You know what's the right call.

And without few hundreds new people, this game is going to die.

Edited by OjK
  • Like 4

i bought this game in july maybe. a ot of players in my clan were ahead of me, a lot of enemy also.

once someone explained to me, how enemy could easier place leaks on me (gunnery encyclopedia) and win boarding more easily (five rings), i had the desire to open knowledge slots and find those books and it was fun.

the clan helped grinding ai fleets, in nation we have a google docks lists  of books to give and to exchange. some people sold rare books under value. its was more fun to me do this things in the first place and i think its more fun for a new player than grind them for an old one.

its the community that should help new players to achieve high skill and find rare items

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Elric said:

Pretty much the opposite is the case. If you wipe all books then after release all the veterans will grab the most wanted like ship handling and gunnery encyclopedia. New players won't be able to buy those books or be able to get spare ones for months and their only chance will be RNG from regular OW bots but even here the veterans will have the experience and means to farm bigger ships and do epic events opposed to the new players. Currently my clan shares any rare books so everyone can get them at some point. If you wipe all then there will be no spare ones for sale, trade ( or free for clan mates ) for many months to come. 

It will thus achieve the opposite effect - the top players who know their stuff will have the best books first and will have another advantage over the casuals and new players.

Also to wipe all books would be a slap to the face of long term players and testers like me, since the books have no impact on economy other than being more expensive and hard to get, the less people have it.

I do however think the common books available for doubloons should cost less. It should be very cheap to buy a bunch of those basic books.

• Like 1

Everyone just needs to answer quite simple question.

What is more important for me?

My comfort of not having the stuff I got during testing and development?
Or actually having any decent playerbase after release, so the game could live again?

Ask Yourself what will be the point of having all those Gunnery Encyclopedia, Art of Ship Handling set on Your all-unlocked ship knowledge, if there will be still barely 400 players (where probably 100 is just alts) and You'll be complaining that world is empty and You have nothing to do?

If You want this game to have second Youth, and see players in the world, You need to sacrifice a bit.

Don't discourage anyone who would think about buying this game, based on Your laziness.

Please.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OjK said:

Yeah, but we are talking about "START OF THE GAME".

Everyone understand the business when he joins in later.

It does only matter for a week. But majority of players join later. NA has 100000+ copies sold - the first month was maybe 5000 copies. Same will happen on release. 

• Like 14

1 minute ago, admin said:

It does only matter for a week. But majority of players join later. NA has 100000+ copies sold - the first month was maybe 5000 copies. Same will happen on release. 

I wish You were right.

My friends only - I can name 6 guys who said "I'd actually to play this game, but maybe after release, when everyone starts the same".

You may call it "oficially" a release, but it doesn't change players perspective (look on example of "releasing" the War Thunder after few years of Beta, nothing changed).

For general customer, it won't be a real "release" if almost nothing will change compared to what happened in the past.
Definitely not, if 70% of what You are doing in this game was kept, and players have to fight in this cruel world against us.

We may try to fool them, but let's be honest. This days, You cannot fool the internet. 
It will go wide and loud straight away... 

Is this few hundreds player really worth risking potential of thousands (as You said Yourself) of new customers?

Let them join the fun on equal terms if they decide to buy it on release day.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, OjK said:

And as soon they will realise that's not the point, the word will spread on the internet. Possibly resulting with hundreds of potential players saying "No, I'm not going there if that's the case".

Tin_foil_hat_2.png

23 minutes ago, OjK said:

And now? Geez, I could have understand, that we will stay with the XP and craft XP. I don't like it in a wide perspective but I can understand that.
And now? Even books and ship knowledge? Can You imagine how much time it will take for new players to catch up to the same level? To get 5 ship knowledges, get the Art of Ship Handling etc. etc? MONTHS

Wondering how many of them will actually stay in the game for that time, instead of just quitting it.

What you just like the other fella don't seem to understand is, that wiping all books only means it will be harder for you, casual and new players to get them because the veterans will yet again be ahead due to their experience and understanding of the game and its mechanics. They will be the first to buy all wanted books and push new and casual players off the market.

25 minutes ago, OjK said:

Don't get me wrong, I know that's pain in the ass to farm those crazy books etc.
I will miss all my collection books etc. etc.

However, if we risk few players who don't wish to grind again, but on the other side of equation we have potential loss of new playerbase...

I call BS and don't think you have the book collections. You somehow think wiping them from the people who grinded them, gives you a better chance vs them after release - but it doesn't. You will only decrease your chance to get them. 

Also new players don't even know about the rare books when they start playing, nor does it concern them much until they learned to manual sail etc. ... only then, after they already put a lot of hours into the game can their journey and search for the books begin. And you want veterans to outbid them at any given chance? 

Your request seems biased, if anything. Wiping books will only mean the most experienced and richest players will be more ahead than the more casual and average players for a longer time again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OjK said:

I wish You were right.

My friends only - I can name 6 guys who said "I'd actually to play this game, but maybe after release, when everyone starts the same".

You may call it "oficially" a release, but it doesn't change players perspective (look on example of "releasing" the War Thunder after few years of Beta, nothing changed).

For general customer, it won't be a real "release" if almost nothing will change compared to what happened in the past.
Definitely not, if 70% of what You are doing in this game was kept, and players have to fight in this cruel world against us.

We may try to fool them, but let's be honest. This days, You cannot fool the internet. 
It will go wide and loud straight away... 

Is this few hundreds player really worth risking potential of thousands (as You said Yourself) of new customers?

Let them join the fun on equal terms if they decide to buy it on release day.

I see it a bit different. The old players can because they allready are set,  help new players in to the game. 

I don’t need to grind knowledge on my favorite ship, so I am more willing to jump in a basic cutter and take a new guy in to a mission and help him to a better start.

What I from the start of this game have liked is that everybody is ready to help a new guy understand the game. Even the toxist player, turns in to a little cute carebear, if a new guy need an advice, even across nations.

But you can be right, I just belive that the vets are there will help a lot of new guys to a good start.

Edited by staun
  • Like 5