Game-Labs Forum

I understand that tow to port is gone to avoid captains jumping over the last and risky 30k directly into the safety of the port. I like that. However, long passages over the open sea tend to be quite boring as they can take 4.5 hours now instead of 2.5 where you could tow the second half of the passage.

How about considering a tow to port which drops the sailor not directly in front of the port but some 30k away? Would save hours of boring and eventless sailing over the open waters but still prevent cowardscaptains from sneaking unseen into port under the watchful eyes of the enemy.

Would probably need some tweaking and careful consideration with respect to the individual capitals.

• Like 1

I cant begin to comprehend how you need 4.5 hours to make a trade run.  But if that's what you insist on doing, those who hunt have the right to intercept you on your extended route.  Any tow would allow you to bypass players who are looking for targets and putting their time in.  It's not "Snakes and Ladders".

• Like 1

No player in his right mind would look for prey in the wide open sea, let's say in the middle between Kidd's Harbour and Harbour Island or between New Orleans and Alacranes or between Serrana and Aves. You could RL spend days without meeting a living soul. That's where captains go afk fishing. They go there because they (correctly) assume that they will be safe there for the whole day.

1 hour ago, Suppenkelle said:

Well, if you all are actually successfully hunting far offshore the topic seems to be a bit differently than I thought. Had never heard of any trader being cought right in the middle of the ocean. Good luck hunting, then.

In the middle of the ocean and in the middle of a foggy storm. :) Lady luck fortunes the sailors.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coraline Vodka said:

Now an alternative to magic tows would be trade winds, different routes that increase your speed. Ofc hunters would use them also

It could be an interesting concept, but not the realistic Trades.  That's mostly just east to west and it was a huge limitation in RL to the strategies of the Caribbean powers.  A few areas where the wind is consistent (maybe a great circle route) would make excellent "super-highways".

4 hours ago, Angus MacDuff said:

I cant begin to comprehend how you need 4.5 hours to make a trade run.  But if that's what you insist on doing, those who hunt have the right to intercept you on your extended route.  Any tow would allow you to bypass players who are looking for targets and putting their time in.  It's not "Snakes and Ladders".

That's about round trip from KPR to Willemstad. Sail all the way there, tow on the way back. That's with fully laden indiamen there and back.

A trip from KPR to Willenstad and back to KPR, in a T Brig or Indiaman, takes about 2hr.    You can load your ships so the same trip takes twice that long.  You can overload your ship and take a rediculous long time.   But that's a long distance run, and anyone can choose a much shorter trade trip.

Just because we have a full map doesn't mean you have to sail huge parts of it is a single session.  Stop at at port along the way, rest up, have a cup of tea, take a break.  Log off. Return tomorrow to finish the journey.  It can be tiring keeping up a 360 degree scan when sailing, watching for enemy.  Keep it fun.

Just because it is possible to sail the whole distance from Yucatan to the Lower Antilles doesn't mean you should.  Just because your ship's hold is 4000 ton, doesn't mean you should fill it up.

We have lots of choices in game.  Most players would feel compelled to use the magic teleporter,  if it is available.  So, in a way, removing the option to teleport gives us more choices and makes us plan.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Galt said:

That's about round trip from KPR to Willemstad. Sail all the way there, tow on the way back. That's with fully laden indiamen there and back.

we plan to add trade winds in deep waters, which increase your speed until enemy is around or you are closer to land. Some time after localization

• Like 9

8 hours ago, admin said:

we plan to add trade winds in deep waters, which increase your speed until enemy is around or you are closer to land. Some time after localization

This could be bad for NA.  Currently long distance travel is possible, and it makes NA different from NA Legends.   It provides a feeling of vastness to the Open World, and navigation is important.

Increasing the speed will only temporarily please some players.  

1 hour ago, Macjimm said:

This could be bad for NA.  Currently long distance travel is possible, and it makes NA different from NA Legends.   It provides a feeling of vastness to the Open World, and navigation is important.

Increasing the speed will only temporarily please some players.  

Yes, because the only difference between Legends and standard Naval Action is open world travel speed. Complaining about this is like complaining about citrus in your diet, because scurvy feels more authentic.

1 hour ago, TheHaney said:

untitled.png

Not sure if quoted wrong person, or if you actually think it's "stupid" to mitigate one of the biggest causes of complaints about this game. Raise your hand if you've seen multiple Reddit and Steam forums posts where someone loved Naval Action, but quit simply because it takes too long to sail anywhere?

*Raises hand*

52 minutes ago, pit said:

Post your favorite activity while afk sailing in NA!! :D

for me, watching that god bless'd Fox News channel. 

New season of House of Cards hit but I have had Red Dead II up on my TV for the last week, I have moved back to my laptop for NA.