Game-Labs Forum

Operations: Welcome to the Caribbean - suggestions

2 hours ago, admin said:

Welcome to the caribbean will be a new player operation that every player must pass before getting access to admiralty missions (all types). 

Welcome to the Caribbean

• Equip an upgrade on your ship 
  • Equip guns to your ship
  • Unlock and equip a perk
  • Repair your ship in battle
  • Find and capture a trader in the open world
  • Find and sell a trading good in your Capital
  • Deliver the ship to  ____ name of free town contextual to your nation.. For example American players will be required to set up outpost in La Tortue or Tumbado
  • Establish the outpost in that city
  • Join the clan from the leaderboard (forced requirement - operation will not complete if this )

Operation Welcome is mandatory for progression.
All other operations could be optional.

6 minutes ago, Wyy said:

Pls read. Only "welcome to Caribbean" is mandatory and required to unlock missions. It has nothing to do with pvp.

The pvp achievement is an advanced task.

Edited by z4ys

@admin looks great, have you thought about maybe making a sailing course? so you have to dodge certain ships and do different manouvers in a certain amount of time?, some people in theory know how manual sailing works with the q,e and z,c keys but mostly dont know when to use them.

I think the step are ok in general, however one stands out to me that could be perhaps changed.

*  Attack an enemy player in enemy capital waters and inflict 2000 damage in one battle

Perhaps a better way would be to replace "Capital waters"  with  "Patrol zone".   This way would introduce new guys to patrol zona with a chance they can hit the 5k damage level if made to take patrol mission before setting out.

The reason i would change capital waters to patrol zone is they will most probably be facing many ships within a capital area with no chance of help, in patrol zone would be a chance that people join to aid on their side.

Or Just make it attack an enemy player and cause 2000 damage.

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 2

I would like to have a mission like "sneak into enemy capital city and cut out a gunboat" (or steal a handfull pood edinorog). That's a thrilling task and and a nice reward. Maybe this Mission is too hard for a newbee, but brings some enemy trader ships into capital area for newbee PVP.

• Like 1

The joining a clan thing is a problem for me.  Some of the people who come to this game are old, retired (&broken) military vets.  I wanted nothing to do with clans when I started.  I don't relate well with many people.  I understand your wish to push the social side of it and see that it is beneficial for most, but I urge you to not make anything mandatory.  Some people just want to find their own way and be left alone.  I've grown into this game over time and now join some of the big clans for activities, but if someone had told me that I have to do that, I would have resisted. 

One suggestion would be to use a mechanic from the test bed.  Achieve lvl 10 crafting.  Seems to me this would cut out some steps (build a forest etc).  I agree with some others that the Patrol zone (pls fix the ROE) is the place to start PVP, not the enemy capitol....Achieve 1st lvl of reward in Patrol Zone.

- Capture a trading Vessel.

- Earn 20k reals in trade.

-Improve your ship's performance by installing 3 permanent Mods.

-Open 3 skill slots on a ship.

-Some kind of navigation task....maybe sail to 4 different Free ports, open an outpost, then close it from the next one.  The reward could pay back the investment and a bonus.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, admin said:

Buy a trading good and deliver to enemy capital

I don't see this being fun for a new player ( if this is supposed to be one of the tasks he has to complete to proceed ) ... maybe make it optional if anything. The rest seems really great and I also think it would be better as actual tutorial than the challanges that are currently called tutorial, being a bit too rough for a brand new player ( especially final exam ). If you could make the exams just a little bit easier and combine everything with this idea here, it would be a great tutorial.

• Like 1

@admin What is the point of all this, except to make things even more difficult for players? What is the malfunction you are trying to fix because I just don't see what the problem is that needs this draconian 'solution'? In other words - state in plain English what the problem is and then let's debate if it is actually a problem before diving into complicated 'solutions'.

On what you have said so far:

What if I don't want an outpost in a Freetown?

What if I don't want to join a clan (and why does it have to be on the leaderboard - that just means the big clans will get bigger and the small clans get fecked)?

What if I am already in clan but it is not on the leaderboard?

What if I just want to sail and fight and not build stuff or trade?

What if I only want to trade?

Why oh fecking why do you insist on forcing players to do things your way? Why cant you let players play their way?

4 hours ago, admin said:

Welcome to the caribbean will be a new player operation that every player must pass before getting access to admiralty missions (all types). The goal of the operation is to guide the player through necessary steps required for great gameplay. 

What we need is your suggestions of steps and hoops passing through which will prepare the player to be a member of your fleet or clan. 

Proposed 3 part operation

Welcome to the Caribbean

• Deliver the ship to  ____ name of free town contextual to your nation.. For example American players will be required to set up outpost in La Tortue or Tumbado
  • Join the clan from the leaderboard (forced requirement - operation will not complete if this )
  • These three should be a seperate part.  Could be a nice step for achievements.  Don't try to force players into clans if they don't want to and some Free towns are a good distance if a player wants to stay close to home than let them.  Forcing folks to do stuff never works.

Trials by fire (pvp missions wont be available on pve server)

• Sink 5 combat ships in the open world
  • Capture 5 trading ships and deliver them to port
  • Atack an enemy player in enemy capital waters and inflict 2000 damage in one battle
  • Gain 5 PVP assists
  • Participate in a port battle

Operation Columbus

Establish 5 outposts 

• La Tortue
  • Tumbado
  • La Mona
  • Shroud Cay
  • Aves
    This better be a good reaward to dump my outpost and make all these.  I normally only have one if two at most (I only use Tumbado as I have shallow ports to use innstead of shroud).Add in another for visiting every port too.

Operation Trade Lanes

• Build a workshop
  • Build a mine
  • Grow a forest
  • Build a forge
  • Craft and deliver 100 repairs
  • Craft and deliver 50 12lb carronades
  • Buy a trading good and deliver to enemy capital
  • Again don't have the last part part of the trade lanes thing, maybe a bonus as I done a lot of trading and I rarely every go to enemy capitals.I 

Propose interesting missions and rewards. We are very interested in your input and ideas. 

I put in red what I think doesn't need to be in groups and should be bonus if anything.  These can all be tied steam achievements and we know folks love to do achievement. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NavalActionPlayer said:

@admin What is the point of all this, except to make things even more difficult for players? What is the malfunction you are trying to fix because I just don't see what the problem is that needs this draconian 'solution'? In other words - state in plain English what the problem is and then let's debate if it is actually a problem before diving into complicated 'solutions'.

On what you have said so far:

What if I don't want an outpost in a Freetown?

What if I don't want to join a clan (and why does it have to be on the leaderboard - that just means the big clans will get bigger and the small clans get fecked)?

What if I am already in clan but it is not on the leaderboard?

What if I just want to sail and fight and not build stuff or trade?

What if I only want to trade?

Why oh fecking why do you insist on forcing players to do things your way? Why cant you let players play their way?

Have you seen the questions on Global?  How do I buy guns?  How do I put them on my ship?  What do repairs do?  I'm lost...Help!  We need something...

(Btw, those were questions from @Sir Texas Sir last night...)

Edited by Angus MacDuff
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Have you seen the questions on Global?  How do I buy guns?  How do I put them on my ship?  What do repairs do?  I'm lost...Help!  We need something...

(Btw, those were questions from @Sir Texas Sir last night...)

You have started to identify a problem statement - 'new players do not have sufficient information to play the game'. So let's fix that.

Most of the proposed 'solution' from admin does not address that basic issue. In fact forcing new players through hoops without the resources for them to learn 'how to go through the hoops' is pointless and does not address the root cause (new players lack of knowledge of how to play the game).

Mission Type:  Operation Baby Bear (Reward 1000 Doubloons)

1) Choose cadet from list of new players

2) Set rendezvous location with cadet.

3) Link up with cadet at sea (must be at least 25k from coastline).

4) Set up ONE new outpost with cadet.

5) Capture ONE NPC trader with cadet and return it to Admiralty.

6) Sink ONE NPC warship with cadet.

7) Capture ONE NPC warship with cadet and return it to outpost.

8) Sink ONE PLAYER warship with cadet.

9) Capture ONE PLAYER warship with cadet and return it to outpost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, admin said:

What you don't understand is that player who does not find friends or fleet to sail with drops from the game extremely fast. We will guide them to fun by gentle touch.

What you don't understand is what the reasons are for this... And that if you won't figure this out and improve the actual game, nothing you can do will be able to keep new players in the game.

• Like 1

getting access to admiralty missions (all types).

@admin maybe specify which missions will always be available? as you can see a lot of people can misunderstand the information given. I get it if you for instance have to do these to gain access to Operations, or PvP events etc.

sorry for going OT, but regarding the Shallow, Frigate, SoL events, are they ment to include PvE only? i feel these would be perfect for pvp and would make it interesting to go solo pvping and pvp kills isnt registered on that leaderboard. Also why isnt 5th rates included as those are only frigates and in the 4th rate there is only the connies that are the frigates in that class? Same as 2nd and 3rd rates for SoL and 7th rate for shallow.

Good changes btw :)

4 hours ago, admin said:

I don't think you are reading this correctly - 5 combat ships is not pvp only task..  
5 pvp assists is a separate task and it is not as hard. If you pvp. Better start cracking right away. 

The goal is to lead the players to fun activities from the start - without delay. Game is most fun in a group and pvp and conquest are great if filled with players.
So please stop the negativity and lets lead the new players to fun activities. 

Propose new missions, challenges and ideas .. 

wrong. you are looking only from the side of new player but u will assure fun also for vet...babysitting a noob is fun for a noob but not for a vet, so you can't force a vet to take care a noob and decide joining a clan is ''mandatory fun''...maybe as a noob i prefer to stay alone for 1 year and then join a clan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Palatinose said:

When a player steps in, he's neither wolf nor sheep. If you let them discover the game on their own most will ask in nation chat where they will (mostly) read: stay in safe zone, trade for money, grind a bit. All the boring stuff that consumes time, but doesn't give thrill. 

I like this, even the enemy safezone part. Show newbies mechanics. 2k damage is nafing.

Perhaps we get newby PBs, CHAOS AND ANARCHY whoop whoop!

My dear Pala. You are so young and naive. 

More players = more action. 

Carebears = carebears

Pvpers go look for pvp on day one. I sailed to pb in a mercury. You hunted me at LA Navasse like the noob you were. You were trash but you searched for battles. Being a good or bad gamer has NOTHING to do with what a game does or doesn't tell you. Trash will always be trash. 

48 minutes ago, Fargo said:

What you don't understand is what the reasons are for this... And that if you won't figure this out and improve the actual game, nothing you can do will be able to keep new players in the game.

Please stop assuming that others can understand or can not understand real reasons. There are no resources to focus on all the reasons or customer groups.  Currently this is not a game for everyone. And there is no point to please everyone.

But there is a certain pattern of players who like the game if they are helped to get to what they will enjoy right away.These are people who like what is already in game and there are people who will never like it (they drop off). The goal of the new player operations (basically a checklist) is to guide people who could like the game to the right activities - right away. All other potential players could be handled later step by step if this first step succeeds. 

ps. Retention of players who are in clans or participated in a group activity exceeds retention of people who are not in clans by the factor of 10. And those who stay stay for hundreds of hours.

Now please focus on real suggestions on the operations for new players that will lead them to CURRENT FUN ACTIVITIES, or just ignore this topic and dont waste everyones time. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

Pvpers go look for pvp on day one

False.

I spent the first 300 hours almost exclusively doing PvE stuff, now I am diplo in a Clan that is exclusive to Captains with experience in PvP. I got into PvP late. And while most of my PvP still happens in RvR stuff I still go on the occasional hunt. I am not a pro duelist like you or havelock. But considering me a non-PvP player is just wrong. (I am still a carebear though 😛)

1 hour ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Mission Type:  Operation Baby Bear (Reward 1000 Doubloons)

1) Choose cadet from list of new players

2) Set rendezvous location with cadet.

3) Link up with cadet at sea (must be at least 25k from coastline).

4) Set up ONE new outpost with cadet.

5) Capture ONE NPC trader with cadet and return it to Admiralty.

6) Sink ONE NPC warship with cadet.

7) Capture ONE NPC warship with cadet and return it to outpost.

😎 Sink ONE PLAYER warship with cadet.

9) Capture ONE PLAYER warship with cadet and return it to outpost.

The problem with this type of mission is that it becomes hard to complete unless you have a constant stream of new players joining the game. I get the idea you are suggesting but it will not work in the long run.

30 minutes ago, Tom Farseer said:

False.

I spent the first 300 hours almost exclusively doing PvE stuff, now I am diplo in a Clan that is exclusive to Captains with experience in PvP. I got into PvP late. And while most of my PvP still happens in RvR stuff I still go on the occasional hunt. I am not a pro duelist like you or havelock. But considering me a non-PvP player is just wrong. (I am still a carebear though 😛)

False

1. Clans with diplos are no pvp clans. 

2. I'm no pro, I just say I'm good and you lot believe me. 

5 hours ago, admin said:

Welcome to the caribbean will be a new player operation that every player must pass before getting access to admiralty missions (all types). The goal of the operation is to guide the player through necessary steps required for great gameplay. 

What we need is your suggestions of steps and hoops passing through which will prepare the player to be a member of your fleet or clan. 

Welcome to the Caribbean

• Equip an upgrade on your ship              good
  • Equip guns to your ship                  good
  • Unlock and equip a perk           good
  • Repair your ship in battle           good
  • Find and capture a trader in the open world        good
  • Find and sell a trading good in your Capital       good
  • Deliver the ship to  ____ name of free town contextual to your nation.. For example American players will be required to set up outpost in La Tortue or Tumbado    bad...too much time lost
  • Establish the outpost in that city     bad, wasted money if you don't need that op
  • Join the clan from the leaderboard (forced requirement - operation will not complete if this )        bad, not all players want to join, not all clans wants noobs, useless feature due to ''join and leave'' action...really no use
  • find fastest and slowest sailing angle in a single battle for a  7th rate ship and a 5th rate ship (learn how square and triangular sails works)
  • tack ( from a notch right to N to a notch left to N for example) in less than 3 seconds for a 7th rate and less than 10 seconds for a 5th rate (must learn how to use manual sail or never success)
  • find a position at open sea (something like a wreck or the swords of the epic event...any icon btw. learn the use of compass)
  • go in enemy waters (reinf zone) and join or start a pvp battle and deal ''50 hull'' hits using a 7th rate and ''100 hull'' in a 5th rate (a noob in enemy waters is a dead player and will never afford 2k damages on another palyer, maybe is better teach him how to hit a player in a pvp battle instead of obliging him to win a pvp battle...in enemy waters)

• Sink 5 combat ships in the open world            boring grinding
  • Capture 5 trading ships and deliver them to port            boring grinding
  • Atack an enemy player in enemy capital waters and inflict 2000 damage in one battle      impossible for a noob, too much cash lost trying to do it due to ships rebuy
  • Gain 5 PVP assists                     impossible for a noob due to lack of skill, and you need admiralty missions to practice the use of a ship
  • Participate in a port battle            impossible for a noob cause clans will never let him join due to br limit to respect for the win

Operation Columbus

Establish 5 outposts                  boring grinding, and too much money to open the 5th op for a noob

• La Tortue
  • Tumbado
  • La Mona
  • Shroud Cay
  • Aves

Operation Trade Lanes

• Build a workshop                         good
  • Build a mine                                  good
  • Grow a forest                               good
  • Build a forge                                 good
  • Craft and deliver 100 repairs           good
  • Craft and deliver 50 12lb carronades         good
  • Buy a trading good and deliver to enemy capital                impossible also for many vets...

Propose interesting missions and rewards. We are very interested in your input and ideas. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, admin said:

This should be covered in the current battle missions but it's worth showing how to purchase/equip consumables for that purpose.

6 hours ago, admin said:

Don't forget to teach new players how to navigate the OW. It's super tricky when you're taking your first steps.

6 hours ago, admin said:

Not a huge fan of that idea, personally. At all. Don't force people to do that.

6 hours ago, admin said:
  • Attack an enemy player in enemy capital waters and inflict 2000 damage in one battle
  • Gain 5 PVP assists

This sounds great!

The thing I could most highly suggest is to hire someone fluent in English (or get a volunteer) to write some decent lines for the tutorial. You'd have such better worldbuilding if these concepts were delivered by a character, rather than just vague instructions flashing in the middle of the screen. Doesn't have to be voiced, just a good perspective. For example:

Find and Capture a Trader in the Open World:   X

Find and Sell a Trading Good in your Capital:    __

versus

Your first mate sidles up to you. "Oy, sir. The men be itchin' for a prize. Mayhaps we could find some unfriendly seas and nab ourselves a nice, juicy merchant boat?"

(Sail near enemy ports and look for trader ships, and capture one.)

Your crew cheers with victory as the trading vessel surrenders to you. "Capt'n! Let's take her to [insert contextual capital] and get our prize!"

(Return to your Capital with the captured ship)

Edited by TheHaney
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, admin said:

Welcome to the Caribbean

• Atack an enemy player in enemy capital waters and inflict 2000 damage in one battle
  • Gain 5 PVP assists

Operation Columbus

Establish 5 outposts 

• La Tortue
  • Tumbado
  • La Mona
  • Shroud Cay
  • Aves

Operation Trade Lanes

• Build a workshop
  • Build a mine
  • Grow a forest
  • Build a forge
  • Craft and deliver 100 repairs
  • Craft and deliver 50 12lb carronades
  • Buy a trading good and deliver to enemy capital

Thank you for collecting feedback on this

Suggestions:

1) Rewards to be given at each part/node of the operation when completed with a more substantial reward being given at the end

Example:

Operation Columbus

Establish 5 outposts 

• La Tortue - 25 doubloons
  • Tumbado - 25 doubloons
  • La Mona - 25 doubloons
  • Shroud Cay - 25 doubloons
  • Aves - Well done! You have completed the Operation - 1 extra outpost slot (just an example)

2) Rewards to scale with difficulty and to be flavoured by the operation. i.e get something that pew pews for completing Trails by Fire or a Trader reward for completing Trade Lanes.

3) Alternatively make rewards title/achievement based. Example:  I've just completed all the missions under "Operation Trade Lanes"  I get the "Master Merchant" Title. Titles can be set by the player from a list of accrued titles. Titles can be seen in OW alongside name and clan affiliation.

Quite granular and could be expanded later on with more titles: examples: Sink 100 SOLs in PvP or sink 100 Surprises (Master & Commander title for example)

Could expand on this and have achievements/badges instead of titles that are awarded with each operation completed. These to be viewable by the player in a collectibles section of the port UI. Silent Hunter u-boot sim does this, example:

image.png.f1883aa8070e36ac002403e6b36299b3.png

So a player would complete "Trade Lanes" and get a "East India Company" badge/achievement for example

• Like 3

This all sounds good except for being forced to join clans on the leader board.

It would be better, in my opinion, to have a way for all clans to mark themselves as new player friendly, or not.   Reward the clan for being open to this.  If new players are forced to choose a clan, it should only be from a list of clans that will want them.

• Like 1