Game-Labs Forum

Operations: Welcome to the Caribbean - suggestions

Welcome to the caribbean will be a new player operation that every player must pass before getting access to admiralty missions (all types). The goal of the operation is to guide the player through necessary steps required for great gameplay. 

What we need is your suggestions of steps and hoops passing through which will prepare the player to be a member of your fleet or clan. 

Proposed 3 part operation

Welcome to the Caribbean

• Equip an upgrade on your ship 
  • Equip guns to your ship
  • Unlock and equip a perk
  • Repair your ship in battle
  • Find and capture a trader in the open world
  • Find and sell a trading good in your Capital
  • Deliver the ship to  ____ name of free town contextual to your nation.. For example American players will be required to set up outpost in La Tortue or Tumbado
  • Establish the outpost in that city
  • Join the clan from the leaderboard (forced requirement - operation will not complete if this )

Trials by fire (pvp missions wont be available on pve server)

• Sink 5 combat ships in the open world
  • Capture 5 trading ships and deliver them to port
  • Atack an enemy player in enemy capital waters and inflict 2000 damage in one battle
  • Gain 5 PVP assists
  • Participate in a port battle

Operation Columbus

Establish 5 outposts 

• La Tortue
  • Tumbado
  • La Mona
  • Shroud Cay
  • Aves

Operation Trade Lanes

• Build a workshop
  • Build a mine
  • Grow a forest
  • Build a forge
  • Craft and deliver 100 repairs
  • Craft and deliver 50 12lb carronades
  • Buy a trading good and deliver to enemy capital

Operation Welcome is mandatory for progression.
All other operations could be optional.

Propose interesting missions and rewards. We are very interested in your input and ideas. 

• Like 13

11 minutes ago, admin said:

Welcome to the caribbean will be a new player operation that every player must pass before getting access to admiralty missions (all types).

• Join the clan from the leaderboard (forced requirement - operation will not complete if this )

Wait does this suggest that every player in the game is going to need to be a member of some clan. Otherwise they cannot do even Kill, Hunt and Search Destroy missions. Yeah that sounds bad to me. I would rather the joining of clans to be a decision that I wanted to make rather than something I was forced to make.

Edited by tipsypo
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, admin said:

Join the clan from the leaderboard (forced requirement - operation will not complete if this ) 

10 minutes ago, admin said:

Participate in a port battle 

I think these goals are set quite high for new players. Forcing them to join a clan from the leaderboard and joining a port battle just to get access to missions... not sure if this is a good idea. What if clan(s) refuse this new player to join them?

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, admin said:

Join the clan from the leaderboard (forced requirement - operation will not complete if this )

This is wrong becouse:

1.)Clan leaders want members that want too be members of their clan not players that are members just becouse game demands it.

2.)Players will just join then leave the clan the minute this part is completed.

19 minutes ago, admin said:
  • Atack an enemy player in enemy capital waters and inflict 2000 damage in one battle

20 minutes ago, admin said:

This two are too brutal for beginner

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Joernsson said:

I think these goals are set quite high for new players. Forcing them to join a clan from the leaderboard and joining a port battle just to get access to missions... not sure if this is a good idea. What if clan(s) refuse this new player to join them?

The sooner new player joins a pro fleet the better. Player can also create his own clan to pass the requirement. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lovec1990 said:

2.)Players will just join then leave the clan the minute this part is completed.

Are you talking about alts or real new players. Real new players would love a helping hand clans can provide.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, admin said:

1. Does it really have to be from the leaderboard? Leaderboard shows only 10 clans. Clan diversity is fine. Not everyone has to be in a mega-clan.

2. Really? Solo players are fine. Not everybody is a team player. Not everybody needs to be in a clan. If you don't intend to be in a clan, and you don't have alts, putting up however much it costs now to create a clan is a waste of money. This should not be a forced requirement. It could be strongly advised, even a pop-up message that you have to click away once that asks you if you want to find yourself a clan now or wait till later.

3. You should not push clans on people too soon. Some players want to level up and learn the game on their own before they feel like joining a clan. Some players join a clan to get help and find someone to teach them the game, others want to wait till they are accomplished in the game and can actually be an asset to whatever clan they join from the get-go. Personalities differ. Preferences differ. Don't push one single playstyle on everybody.

4. Most clans that will be on the leaderboards in the long run will be clans that require certain things of their members, such as having Teamspeak. Some players are going to have a hard time finding a clan that accepts them. Some big clans will grow out of this that amass players, but with no organisation and no collective. Many players that end up in such clans will not gain anything from it, and may even be put off from the game from the experience.

Atack an enemy player in enemy capital waters

Wait, isn't this kind of contradictory to the purpose of capital waters? Also, if the game endorses this, some players might not anticipate that they shouldn't bring their best ship to do this.

Participate in a port battle

Some players find port battles meaningful, other players don't. This is going to diminish the game for all parties if port battles become part of a NA tourist checklist. I guess it is fine as long as this is not a required operation though.

Operation Columbus

Establish 5 outposts 

• La Tortue
  • Tumbado
  • La Mona
  • Shroud Cay
  • Aves

Ok. Please give us 5 more outpost slots, so that we can have these outposts and also the ones that we choose ourselves. Even though my main account has no production outposts, I cannot currently cover all of the patrol zone connected freetowns because of all the other outpost I need to have to get around the map. With different NPC-fleets in different parts of the map, even more outposts are needed to be able to grind knowledge on all ship classes.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, tipsypo said:

Wait does this suggest that every player in the game is going to need to be a member of some clan. Otherwise they cannot do even Kill, Hunt and Search Destroy missions. Yeah that sounds bad to me. I would rather the joining of clans to be a decision that I wanted to make rather than something I was forced to make.

This sounds bad to you because you think this decision is forced upon you. For the new player it will be a blessing if that clan requirement is given them in right way and with the right wording. 

What you don't understand is that player who does not find friends or fleet to sail with drops from the game extremely fast. We will guide them to fun by gentle touch.

2 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

lots of forced things here. You lose me at sailing to enemy capital to fight aka get ganked in order to progress.

Peace server?

On the War server the player should start experiencing exciting content as soon as possible (after he can sail a corvette). It not being forced. Its the menu to try. Japanese ramen shops do not give you the option to eat something else. 

Just now, admin said:

This sounds bad to you because you think this decision is forced upon you. For the new player it will be a blessing if that clan requirement is given them in right way and with the right wording. 

What you don't understand is that player who does not find friends or fleet to sail with drops from the game extremely fast. We will guide them to fun by gentle touch.

a gentle touch would be every new player starting in a default clan for their nation where they can hell and be helped at their own pace, not dragged around by player clans who probably dont want to babysit the constant flow of noobs into their chat

2 minutes ago, admin said:

Are you talking about alts or real new players. Real new players would love a helping hand clans can provide.

Put the onus on clans to recruit and welcome players that want to take part in the social aspects of the game, not on all new players to join the first clan that approaches them, without taking the time to find out if they are a fit for each other.

Reward clans that are actively recruiting, advertising in the forums, etc.

5 minutes ago, admin said:

Alts are not an issue when it comes to joining clans. I am sure there are more "alt-clans" than "real clans" in every nation.

1 minute ago, Slim McSauce said:

a gentle touch would be every new player starting in a default clan for their nation where they can hell and be helped at their own pace, not dragged around by player clans who probably dont want to babysit the constant flow of noobs into their chat

Leaderboard is not final.. but it will cover main activities and show the good selection of active clans who have members in the player time zone. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, admin said:

But...

On 10/31/2018 at 9:04 AM, admin said:

When nelson was born he did not need to

... join a clan !!! :P

16 minutes ago, admin said:

Player can also create his own clan to pass the requirement. 

A lonely player forced to create a clan just for himself ?  

15 minutes ago, admin said:

Real new players would love a helping hand clans can provide.

Then make it optional with an advice : 'Do it for your sake because...'.

Edited by LeBoiteux

1 minute ago, Slim McSauce said:

the idea itself isnt bad, but everything after welcome to carribbean should be optional and the go to capital and inflict damage should not be included period.

As a grumpy vet you will not get the high from the thrill and excitement of sailing deep into enemy territory on your second day for a handsome reward.

also each tree should be their own paths that you can start whenevr or all at once. the reward for completing each tree should be a nation flag relevant to that thing, like a trade flag for the crafting missions, some type of exploration flag for the columbus, and a cool flag for the pb. Also ships respectively 

2 minutes ago, admin said:

As a grumpy vet you will not get the high from the thrill and excitement of sailing deep into enemy territory on your second day for a handsome reward.

no because I'm aware that sailing deep into enemy territory is suicide and a fools errand, asking to be ganked. and if they dont get the 2k damage then they have to keep going back and back until they do.

Edited by Slim McSauce

Im sorry, but this is your ideal view on situation.

Firstly if player wants a clan he will find it, but solo player will never search for a clan. Forcing Beginners into clan is just recepie for bad mood.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lovec1990 said:

Im sorry, but this is your ideal view on situation.

Firstly if player wants a clan he will find it, but solo player will never search for a clan. Forcing Beginners into clan is just recepie for bad mood.

no forcing beginners into clans with no intention on taking on the burden of responsibility of new players is a bad move for both parties and a recipe for disaster when these clans get tired of babysitting and start rejecting new players all together

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, rediii said:

5 pvp kills in what ship? Too hard for a new player

I don't think you are reading this correctly - 5 combat ships is not pvp only task..  
5 pvp assists is a separate task and it is not as hard. If you pvp. Better start cracking right away. 

The goal is to lead the players to fun activities from the start - without delay. Game is most fun in a group and pvp and conquest are great if filled with players.
So please stop the negativity and lets lead the new players to fun activities. 

Propose new missions, challenges and ideas .. 

• Like 3

Just now, Slim McSauce said:

no forcing beginners into clans with no intention on taking on the burden of responsibility of new players is a bad move for both parties and a recipe for disaster 

True, but most players forced into clan will not assist their clan or clanmates and leave as soon as they can

3 minutes ago, admin said:

I don't think you are reading this correctly - 5 combat ships is not pvp..  
5 pvp assists is a separate task and it is not as hard. If you pvp. Better start cracking right away. 

The goal is to lead the players to fun activities from the start - without delay. Game is most fun in a group and pvp and conquest are great if filled with players.
So please stop the negativity and lets lead the new players to fun activities. 

Propose new missions, challenges and ideas .. 

most are good just steer away from the sail to capital part, and make everything past welcome optional as a sort of story mode tutorial 

Also just give each nation a beginner clan that uses that nations initials, that will be the new play help channel 

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, admin said:

Welcome to the caribbean will be a new player operation that every player must pass before getting access to admiralty missions (all types). The goal of the operation is to guide the player through necessary steps required for great gameplay. 

What we need is your suggestions of steps and hoops passing through which will prepare the player to be a member of your fleet or clan. 

I very much like the idea of a missin tree to lead the player into the game.

5 minutes ago, admin said:

Welcome to the Caribbean

• Equip an upgrade on your ship 
  • Equip guns to your ship
  • Unlock and equip a perk
  • Repair your ship in battle
  • Find and capture a trader in the open world
  • Find and sell a trading good in your Capital
  • Deliver the ship to  ____ name of free town contextual to your nation.. For example American players will be required to set up outpost in La Tortue or Tumbado
  • Establish the outpost in that city

I like most of the ideas mentioned above. 

I would leave out a few things as they make it a very very tedious first few hrs of the game. 

Why does an american player have to sail all the way to La Tortue this early? It takes him about 1 hr and is very very boring. My suggestion would be some national port at the edge of the R-Zone. In case of Americans Brunswick. If nations have less safezones like sweden/denmark you can send them to the free port of Aves.

Keep early game long sails as rare as possible becuase they are not interesting. If you think it is necessary to get players to sail to free towns I would say make all of them sail to Shroud Cay. I think this would be a better reward than part of the mission. If you finish the mission you get an outpost in shroud cay.

If Requin and Herc were to be removed from shallow waters the Bahamas would be a fairly equal playing ground (ship wise not sskill wise) again. This is perfect for the "Trails by fire" mission as it guarantees new player don't run their only 5th rate into a bellona and loose it in a fight they have even less chance in than in an equal 6th rate fight with aveteran player.

Also joining a clan from the leaderboard is a bad idea in my opinion. I  can only speak for my own clan here but we are cerainly not interested in mass recruiting new players. Also flooding clans with new players is bad for most clans. I saw many clans fail no the sikple fact they overrecruited new players and could never get anything done/organised becuase it would require hrs of work for the clan leadership.

As I said I would skip this point compleatly. Maybe a note that joining a clan helps you progress in the game but please don't make it a requirement especially as this mission will most likely be mandatory. 

The player should be rewarded with some free 6th rates in Shroud Cay with a Shroud cay outpost being a reward as well. This would make the "Trails by fire" mission possible in shallow waters for everyone. Shallows are the place you can get the most balanced PvP fights in for new players if there were no Requins and Hercs to be found there. This decreases frustration for new players.

14 minutes ago, admin said:

Trials by fire (pvp missions wont be available on pve server)

• Sink 5 combat ships in the open world
  • Capture 5 trading ships and deliver them to port
  • Gain 5 PVP assists

As before I like most steps of this part of the mission. But I have some more things I think would cause problems.

Don't encourage new players to go to enemy safezones it's just a bad idea. I would change the PvP missions to "Participate in at least 2 PvP fights and deal at least 2000 damage." (numbers of fights and dmg can allways be changed).

Loosing ships should not change if you complete this mission or not. This mission has to come with a note that PvP is dangerous and they should use cheap ships. As mentioned above I think the Bahamas are the ideal place for new players if we get the same ships into OW there we have in shallow PBs now. 

There should be a reward of ships again for most parts of this mission as well as maybe some ship knowledge books which are very expensive in the admiralty at the moment as well as some doubloons.

Operation Columbus

Establish 5 outposts 

• La Tortue
  • Tumbado
  • La Mona
  • Shroud Cay
  • Aves

I like the idea of encouraging people to go to free towns but ewhy does it have to be five of them? I would consider myself a very active player and PvPer and I only have outposts in 3 of the above mentioned ports becuase I can not sustain more with also having RvR and Eco outposts. This also clashes with the next point but I will get to that in a bit. 

My suggestion is changeing that mission to "Establish outposts in at least 3 free towns."

Also new outpost slots are very expensive in the beginning for new people so forcing them to unlock all of them before teaching them how eco works is a bad idea in my opinion.

I would reward this mission again with 5th rate ships and doubloons and repairs in each of the free town outposts.

23 minutes ago, admin said:

Operation Trade Lanes

• Build a workshop
  • Build a mine
  • Grow a forest
  • Build a forge
  • Craft and deliver 100 repairs
  • Buy a trading good and deliver to enemy capital 

I would change this mission in a way that gets gun crafting set up for a new player. this is how my mission tree would look like:

• Build an iron mine
  • Build a coal mine
  • Build a forge
  • Get iron and coal to the outpost with the forge
  • Build a Oak forest
  • Build a Workshop
  • Get oak and Iron to the port with the Workshop
  • Craft and deliver 100 hull repairs
  • Buy a trading good which doesn't belong to your nations trade goods in a port of your nation and deliver it to YOUR capital

There should be a reward high enough for the next building after you finish all of the missions and some free 5th rates in the end. 

My proposed change to your mission tree teaches a player exactly how crafting works and how delivery/trade missions work. The last mission needs an extensive explanation on how trade goods work, where they are dropped and consumed and how to identify which nations trading good you picked up.

35 minutes ago, admin said:

Operation Welcome is mandatory for progression.
All other operations could be optional.

Propose interesting missions and rewards. We are very interested in your input and ideas. 

I would like to see the first mission mandatory and all the rest optional.

Every mission should be put into a mission tree where you have to finish certain missions first to unlock the next ones. Rewards should be handed out for evrey point of the mission so players get rewareded more ofthen and keep playing. Mission trees also make sence as they make players trying to achive objectives from missions they can't do yet impossible. This makes sure players don't get frustrated with the game and missions.

All of those issions HAVE TO come with extensive explanations which I would suggest getting the community involved in writing. I would suggest updatin this post with updated mission trees and short descriptions of the missions and giving players the opportunity to write more extensive ones and sumbit them. With many people working on the explanations it can be sure they are 100% clear and don't have to be extended or changed to often due to players getting confused.

As you see I tend to ship rewards a lot. I see this mission tree is very much focused on getting people into PvP and RvR so I think they have to have the ships to sustain the losses they will recive in the beginning. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Mr Pellew said:

Why does an american player have to sail all the way to La Tortue this early? It takes him about 1 hr and is very very boring. My suggestion would be some national port at the edge of the R-Zone. In case of Americans Brunswick. If nations have less safezones like sweden/denmark you can send them to the free port of Aves.

La Tortue and Tumbado gives the player joining USA the bigger chance to start experiencing pvp and action. Its just the nature of their coast. 
Sub missions can be given to a player for this long sail.  Remember that when he has an outpost in one of those ports - he can cover 2/3rds of the caribbean in under by transportation between those outposts. We have to guide them to do this.