Game-Labs Forum

Reward for Enemy Retreating.

Just now, Archaos said:

Personally I think it is more of a victory to escape a gank.

again no one is talking about ganks (which shouldn't exist in the first place with 1.5xbr)

In an even fight, relatively speaking, there's no reason to immediately run from the fight unless you're an absolute pussy.

In the case you do take the fight head on, fight and realize that no you won't win and must save your ship, you have every right to run, but that's your resolve for victory being broken, and a successful route by the enemy. That is for all purposes a victory and deserving of a reward, even if no kill is achieved as long as fighting did take place and damage was taken/done.

Edited by Slim McSauce

As you say there should be no reason to run from an even fight, but if you start losing then running away should be counted as a victory as you have saved yourself from losing your ship.

I am just trying to look at it from the other angle. If I am winning an even fight why would I run, but if I am losing and I get the chance to run I will and I would call that a victory. It is incumbent on the person who is winning the fight to not let you escape, if they do they have lost and should not be rewarded for that.

3 hours ago, Archaos said:

As you say there should be no reason to run from an even fight, but if you start losing then running away should be counted as a victory as you have saved yourself from losing your ship.

I am just trying to look at it from the other angle. If I am winning an even fight why would I run, but if I am losing and I get the chance to run I will and I would call that a victory. It is incumbent on the person who is winning the fight to not let you escape, if they do they have lost and should not be rewarded for that.

Go ahead and run, you aren't being punished for running away. The other side is being rewarded for routing you.

There's no obligation for one side to chase you to the far side of the world to finish you off, if that's what you want then I'm sure they'll oblige you but don't expect anyone to waste hours trying to catch you when they've already won the battle and gotten their reward.

Edited by Slim McSauce

15 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

so there's no excuse to ever run away from your pray, if a buffallo manages to break a lions ribs and force it off that is a victory worth rewarding to the buffalo, which in your view is always the enemy. If everyone shares that view the mechanic makes sense, you should never run from your enemy.

Your reward is getting to keep your ship along with xp and gold for damage (or whatever replaced it). 

There are 2 scenarios in relevant to this topic

1) You tag an enemy with the intent to kill them and they escape. (you should not be rewarded for failing)

2) You are attacked by a ship that wants to kill you and fails so it escapes (Congrats you have successfully defended your ship and get to continue on your way with a reward for damage done)

6 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

that's the reward for the person who ran, not for who make you run

Correct, there are 2 roles in every battle Predator and Prey, these roles may reverse many times in a battle but if the prey escapes the predator has failed. And if the prey defends itself and begins to hunt the predator then the roles have reversed and likewise the responsibilities have reversed. 

Regardless of these roles you will be rewarded for damage done. But simply defending ones self or failing to catch your prey does not warrant additional rewards.

Edited by RedNeckMilkMan

2 hours ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Correct, there are 2 roles in every battle Predator and Prey, these roles may reverse many times in a battle but if the prey escapes the predator has failed. And if the prey defends itself and begins to hunt the predator then the roles have reversed and likewise the responsibilities have reversed. 

Regardless of these roles you will be rewarded for damage done. But simply defending ones self or failing to catch your prey does not warrant additional rewards.

If every battle follows predator and prey rules then what is a PB? What are patrol missions where both sides agree to fight by way of participating?
You're attributing a false dichotomy of roles to battles. Predator and Pray in nature do not co-exchange roles. What you describe is the flow of battle between two sides.

The side that forces a retreat is the victor, period. You saving your ship at the cost of losing the battle that you are engaged in is your grace, the winners receive a reward for breaking your resolve to fight and forcing you to run away by way of pure force.

no matter how you slice up the roles if my 5 guys attack your 5 guys and we sink one of you and you begin to flee for fear of total loss then that's by way of force a victory for the side who stands it's ground. You were not pray to begin with, you're a willing combatant with the means of destroying the other side, somewhere along the lines you were out played and fled. That doesn't make you the defacto-prey of the battle, it makes you the loser of the engagement and the other side, the winner who rightfully deserve a reward for causing you to break and retreat.

And if your argument from here on is that the winning side should be responsible for chasing you down for hours until you're all completely wiped out, then you have no idea what you're talking about or why this suggestion will ultimately promote better battles with less salt.

Edited by Slim McSauce