Game-Labs Forum

Reward for Enemy Retreating.

Beating the enemy back out of the battle is a technical victory regardless of your interpretation of the results. Therefore when the enemy retreats under force of the other side that side should be given a small reward for the victory, promoting successful efforts in the battle

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 5

Just now, TheHaney said:

I'd agree that you should get rewards for damage done even if they escape, but if the enemy just flat-out runs away without taking damage I wouldn't consider that a rewardable event.

if the enemy runs away without engaging that's on them, not the people willing to fight.

4 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

even fight

OK, with this addition I can assume that you do not want to promote ganking. 

I think „efforts“ should not be promoted. Only if you manage to kill your enemy you should get a reward. Who should know if an oponent just retreates because of boardom gameplay e.g. the other player is hiding under the cannons of a fort? NO.

Just now, Sir Loorkon said:

I think „efforts“ should not be promoted. Only if you manage to kill your enemy you should get a reward. Who should know if an oponent just retreates because of boardom gameplay e.g. the other player is hiding under the cannons of a fort? NO.

Why does it matter? You aren't getting punished for retreating, the other side is getting rewarded for doing something right which they otherwise would get nothing for.

1 hour ago, Sir Loorkon said:

In every game that I have played for more than a couple of weeks, you were rewarded for effort. People play that play games want rewards. Remember that the average person has average skill and will lose almost always to players with higher skills. If you want those a average players to stick around and feed you your rewards, then there better be some incentive to keep them playing. 

• Like 3

Just now, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Nah like Aster said this would be exploited like crazy. And it just seems dumb. You should be rewarded for failing to catch your prey? That's some participation trophy crap.

What do you mean failing to catch your prey? This isn't ganking noobs, if you fail to fight the enemy in an even fight and instead run away then the other side gets a reward for routing you.

4 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

What do you mean failing to catch your prey? This isn't ganking noobs, if you fail to fight the enemy in an even fight and instead run away then the other side gets a reward for routing you.

Even fights don't exist. Someone always has an advantage. If you fail to kill your enemy you should not be rewarded.

Just now, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Even fights don't exist. Someone always has an advantage. If you fail to kill your enemy you should not be rewarded.

No they don't but uneven fights are won every day everywhere on the map if you've seen some of the odds on screenshot.

1.5x br and there's no reason to ever run from a battle, and if you do then it's not like you're the one being punished, it's the other side being rewarded for what's essentially a victory, which would otherwise be an inconclusive battle.

Imagine this scenario. 5v7, the 5 turn the tide and get 2 kills and the other side gets antsy and starts to break. They run and you try to keep up but they get away, or perhaps you just let them go because they're that much faster. Instead of 2 kill credits you get a victory bonus on top of that which made your efforts much more worth it. With a timer this can't be abused, and both sides are happy because the ones who ran saved their ships, the ones who stood their ground receive a reward for their courage.

Please tell me where in this do you disagree?

18 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

No they don't but uneven fights are won every day everywhere on the map if you've seen some of the odds on screenshot.

1.5x br and there's no reason to ever run from a battle, and if you do then it's not like you're the one being punished, it's the other side being rewarded for what's essentially a victory, which would otherwise be an inconclusive battle.

Imagine this scenario. 5v7, the 5 turn the tide and get 2 kills and the other side gets antsy and starts to break. They run and you try to keep up but they get away, or perhaps you just let them go because they're that much faster. Instead of 2 kill credits you get a victory bonus on top of that which made your efforts much more worth it. With a timer this can't be abused, and both sides are happy because the ones who ran saved their ships, the ones who stood their ground receive a reward for their courage.

Please tell me where in this do you disagree?

So if I jump in to a battle with my Trollquin and the enemies leave I profit. Nice.

2 hours ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

So if I jump in to a battle with my Trollquin and the enemies leave I profit. Nice.

Depends, are you joining to be a Troll or are you actually trying to fight who you pull into battle?
If you're doing it to fight then you should be tagging odds that are within your ships ability.
If not then yes the other side deserves a reward for having to deal with your and your puny ship for 30 minutes. Tagging with no intention of winning a fight (like joining a hostility mission to buy time for counter hostilities) is against the rules.

30 minutes ago, admin said:

reward for damage = reward for retreating. 
If there was no combat - sorry but there is nothing to reward for.

Remember the old privateer saying (true saying of american privateers) - No Prey No Pay. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_purchase,_no_pay

What decides the prey in an even fight? Is it the weaker side or the side that runs first?

Edited by Slim McSauce

26 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

The side opposite me

so there's no excuse to ever run away from your pray, if a buffallo manages to break a lions ribs and force it off that is a victory worth rewarding to the buffalo, which in your view is always the enemy. If everyone shares that view the mechanic makes sense, you should never run from your enemy.

Edited by Slim McSauce

I'm not sure what rewards your seeking here, but besides the xp from damage and surviving I don't like generating large amounts of reals/doubloons when nothing was lost/achieved. 
But I'll get behind adding info in combat news: Slim McSauce failed to defeat "Random-nation" player.. That would be fun :D

5 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

so there's no excuse to ever run away from your pray, if a buffallo manages to break a lions ribs and force it off that is a victory worth rewarding to the buffalo, which in your view is always the enemy. If everyone shares that view the mechanic makes sense, you should never run from your enemy.

You didn't get it..... Anyway there are loads of reasons to run from a fight. Only an idiot fights a battle they can't win. 

1 hour ago, HachiRoku said:

You didn't get it..... Anyway there are loads of reasons to run from a fight. Only an idiot fights a battle they can't win. 

we're talking about moderately even battles which people are too afraid to fight because they've been allowed to gank for so long.

It takes a true coward to run from these types of battles. Running away isn't a virtue, you're less than for it not more.

The other side broke your resolve, they get rewarded for doing so.

Edited by Slim McSauce

23 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

incorrect, it takes a true idiot to fight an "even" battle they will loose. If you think you will loose, you will. 

if you think you will lose an even battle yes you will likely lose and yes you are an idiot.

Edited by Slim McSauce