Game-Labs Forum

Sealed bottles and ship wrecks

Tried searching for a topic on this but didn't find one, in case there is one I guess this can be closed. But why is it that when you explore a ship wreck from a sealed bottle, you can't just take some items but it forces you to take everything? With the newly added weight of cannons, it's an annoyance that I can't just loot part of the wrecked ship's hold, If I can't take everything into my hold I can't take anything? I think that's a bit broken, it should either open a hold window when you explore the wreck or simply overload your ship then you can move items to a your fleet or drop them overboard. 

• Like 2

Because on some wrecks it forces you to sail an Indiaman to it to be able to loot it, adding risk to the equation especially in hostile waters.  A tip is if you get a bottle sail it back to safer waters before you open it, the wreck spawns X distance from where you open it, not where you found it.

Edited by Atreides

1 hour ago, Atreides said:

Because on some wrecks it forces you to sail an Indiaman to it to be able to loot it, adding risk to the equation especially in hostile waters.  A tip is if you get a bottle sail it back to safer waters before you open it, the wreck spawns X distance from where you open it, not where you found it.

Yeah, but how would you know if you need an indiaman or not before you arrive at the wreck? Opening it at a safe port doesn't tell you that. It's a dumb mechanic, the risk is there anyway. If you get caught in enemy waters you lose your ship, indiaman or not and if you looted it you lose the loot from the wreck too. It makes no sense that you can't just take what you can carry and leave the rest. 

I'm not arguing about it making sense, because I agree it doesn't.  But that is the explanation devs have given for this question before, and the mechanic works as intended (unless it is in shallow waters, then F11 it.

Edited by Atreides