Game-Labs Forum

I feel the community will determine the Value of the Doubloon overtime. I do not think it will be a fixed one, it will fluctuate. It will be subject to market rules of supply and demand. Too many people making tons of D's, they will unload them for cheap. Not enough hunters making the D's, their value will increase.

An artificial fixed value set by the devs would take away its true value as dictated by the market forces.

As the Red Duke mentioned, people are already willing to place contracts and others fill them. I placed a contract to purchase 1000 D's, it was filled within 2 hours. So, I was willing to pay a certain amount and another player was willing to take my price for his hard (or not so hard) won D's.

Good hunters will make tons of them and traders/crafters will make tons of Reales, there will definitely be a player market in the very near future.

Edited by AngryPanCake

6 hours ago, AngryPanCake said:

I feel the community will determine the Value of the Doubloon overtime.

Ofcourse, but it most likely wont be an exchange. Doubloons are no currency like reals are.

Doubloons are more a material like teak logs. Port drop/trader loot vs. amount of reals earned results in a certain value of teak logs. But did players exchange teak logs for gold/reals? No, because everyone needs them to craft good ships. Even if you had more than enough, you would stockpile them. Just try to buy teak logs, or doubloons. Doubloons sell for 500+ reals currently. 4mio reals for a first rate just for doubloons. 100mio. gold. Ofcourse other than logs not everyone demands doubloons for large ships, but the majority probably does.

When crafting an item consumes 5 different "currencies", over time 4/5 of those most likely loose value, unless the game is balanced perfectly. Without teak logs, you alteast are able to use different logs. Without doubloons/marks/permits, the production stops. Resources (so labor and reals) that cant be consumed anymore, inflate. Fixed exchange rates would balance it, but this would remove the purpose of having different currencies. What even is the purpose of doubloons, when they are earned in the same ways reals are earned?

The point is, is nobody realising how stupid this is? How difficult this is to balance? That either labor is the limiting factor and all these extra currencies become "redundant", or labor becomes redundant? Well its just labor isnt it... No, make labor redundant and you can remove labor and all crafting from the game. Local markets aswell, that are all about trading labor. You could just make the admiralty sell ships for only doubloons or reals. If we want meaningful crafting and player trade, labor needs to be the limiting factor of prodution.

8 hours ago, AngryPanCake said:

As the Red Duke mentioned, people are already willing to place contracts and others fill them. I placed a contract to purchase 1000 D's, it was filled within 2 hours. So, I was willing to pay a certain amount and another player was willing to take my price for his hard (or not so hard) won D's.

When i sell my doubloons to the lone contract that buys 500 D's for 15 reals in gustavia, because i dont care, this isnt proof that exchange is happening. If exchange happened, there would be competition. 

When contracts asking for 300 and less reals are filled, probably because newer and unexperienced players not owning redundant amounts of reals yet dont know what theyre doing. Otherwise they would place sell contracts, test what D's sell for, and triple the profit. When lots of players would sell D's, there would be lots of sell contracts. Idk, maybe thats the case in neutral ports?!