Game-Labs Forum

On-Map Navigator

I suggest a Navigator on the Map to give navigation a more realistic feel, and help with the open sea patrolling that the new patch (I think) encourages.

Navigation buttons on the map for...

Position: a mark showing my position on the map with Caribbean time (max 5 on map; 1 minute timer between each to stop spamming)

Clear: clears all Position markers

and...

Protractor: shows distance in km next to the heading.

Sextants, compasses and ship's logs were standard kit so it isn't ahistorical. I was rather put off when I started playing to find a sailing game with apparently no concept of distance.

I think this would improve look and feel and get me away from the coasts more often. Don't see it would be too difficult as no new data or complex calculation is needed - there are already NA maps on the interwebs that do all this from F11.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

100 % Agree, Ive noticed the Day night Sun positions isnt proportional so using the sextant would be out, as soon as you hit open sea and the wind turns against you, its a guessing game.

If we had a sextant that when you use it it just gives you Longitude, and the ability to measure distance and draw lines on the CHART ( not map ) that would be all you would need, since the speed is pretty constant you could do a pretty accurate dead reckoning if you could draw a path

Im against having your position shown on the chart, this would take away the fun of navigating.

Also give us compass degrees in the Telescope view so that we can take bearings!