Game-Labs Forum

Risk verses reward

11 minutes ago, Old Crusty said:

Do you seek out PvP in a ship with no ship knowledge?

You'll find posters who go "There is no grind" and "Equipment doesn't matter". I used to have the privilege to be associated with the best PvP players in NA a long time ago. We dueled all the time. They would break off a duel if I had made a stupid choice in mods or perks. Mods/books matter way more than ships, still does.

I wouldn't seek out PvP in a bookless ship, it's suicide. I have done it (hello @rediii!), but I'm a silly person who make silly choices, especially when all this OW non-pvp gets me and I get desperate for quality PvP.

20 minutes ago, Old Crusty said:

Now the rewards from the Patrol Zones will only cover my teleport in and out. I will be closing those Outposts.

Check again, they patched it. Patrols are my go-to thing even in their current inane pro-gank form 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jodgi said:

You'll find posters who go "There is no grind" and "Equipment doesn't matter". I used to have the privilege to be associated with the best PvP players in NA a long time ago. We dueled all the time. They would break off a duel if I had made a stupid choice in mods or perks. Mods/books matter way more than ships, still does.

I wouldn't seek out PvP in a bookless ship, it's suicide. I have done it (hello @rediii!), but I'm a silly person who make silly choices, especially when all this OW non-pvp gets me and I get desperate for quality PvP.

Check again, they patched it. Patrols are my go-to thing even in their current inane pro-gank form 

I’m at work so I can’t check, did they raise the Doubloons reward in Patrol Zones?

6 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Yesterday I sailed out to PVP without setting books, multiple times.  I blame the UI and it's lack of intuitiveness.  Anyway, I noticed a significant disadvantage in my ability to repair without having a single repair book equipped and no repair perms.  I also noticed a slower reload and definitely was slower in battle overall without the shiphandling book, I think the biggest game changer in the current game meta is your ability to repair.  

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Oh no...players might encounter PvP on the PvP server and might even be forced to take an even fight instead of sitting in the safezone all day and waiting to gank someone

The problem is more when folks would like to level up there ships/chars without being forced to look over your shoulder or get ganked every time.  If your getting ganked and sunk every time your loosing more ships than you can replace and your not having fun.  If your not having fun you stop playing the game.  Come live on the US coast for a few weeks and see how it is.....I love how guys who play in none starter Nations seem to think it's so easy.....your all max levels, with slots open on most your ships.  Many of these guys hardly have any slots open.  Some of them are still Commoders or lower level cause they are casual players that only pop on for a few hours here and there during the week.

We been noticing a lot of the gankers aren't even putting mods on there ships.  Why should you if you get sunk say 2-3 out of 10 trips, but your sinking 2-3 ships per trips, your making out like  bandit on the old PvP system (I seen some of the guys are sitting on thounsands of marks they can't use.....).  While that Casual player gets sunk 7 times out 10 they aren't making enough to get PvP marks or what every we go to now a days.  Most of the guys in US that have bought High Mark rewards did so by buying marks off other players until they reache 150 or 300 marks.

OH we did Little River this morning.  We got maybe 1K total Doubloons in drops between 6 players.  Most of the mod drops where basic mods or such. One guy did get one of the better mods but most of it was trash drops.  Real wise it wasn't a bad pay out or even XP but other wise the rewards where crap.  One guy got caught out side by a Herc and lost his Ballona.  I think he was paid 67K but I will have to double check on the insurance pay out.  No where to replace his mods on his ships or the ship it self even if we gave him all the Doubloons we collected from the missions drops by ships.  I did kill a bunch of 1st rates and some Santies to knock off half of one mission with high pay out and a 1/4 of another.  Our fleets was a mix of 4th to 1st rates.   

Oh and for the Doubloon drops. I killed 10 Trade ships in the shallows yesterday an I got zero Doubloons. It's a loto so you won't get stuff all the time. Hell I even had 2 empty ships with nothing.  The cargo was to heavy most the time to take back unless I captured the trade ship. I did get one ship with 400 WO logs that I captured and took back cause well right now US has zero woods ports so we got to save what you can (or I'm still using my MERGE STOCKPILE).

• Like 1

If I read most of the posts here, you might think PvP is not possible after the patch. It is still possible without great effort by frigates to sink each other.
If larger vessels are to be used, you must first realize that a loss of one's own ship can also hurt.

If some people are angry that they can not use their pimped Speedbellonas without thinking, then my compassion is limited

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Christendom said:

He lost a rather nice third rate.

Luckly it was after we flipped the port he sunk so it didn't hurt us that way, I was suprised when he said it was a gold 3rd rate which I know wasn't cheap to buy even though he tends to have a lot of gold on hand.  Honestly when Cheeky popped in I was fearing the worse that we where about to get ganked by a bunch of pirates and never get that port flipped an end up loosing it to another nation.

Jokenly though I did say we should let some other nation flip it that we trust so we could kill AI ships in that area, but the problem comes finding one that we trust and wouldn't farm the coast like crazy from that port.  Moral in US is at an all time low, they honestly can't afford to loose any more ports, not like they got much left to loose any way.   Though patch did bring about something funny...Brits want us to take our ports back down south again so they have AI to kill.  They found out having no other nation ports means they have no AI to grind on.

1 minute ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

The problem is more when folks would like to level up there ships/chars without being forced to look over your shoulder or get ganked every time.

Isnt that the beauty of Open World tho?

At least I got told that when people argued that small battles from port are stupid...

3 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I love how guys who play in none starter Nations seem to think it's so easy.....your all max levels, with slots open on most your ships.  Many of these guys hardly have any slots open.  Some of them are still Commoders or lower level cause they are casual players that only pop on for a few hours here and there during the week.

I get that, but thats a problem of completely broken and mandatory ship knowledges and upgrades in my opinion.

Random quote from discord "how can you be so bad at game design you ever think that changing a ships stats by 30% can in any way ever be balanced"

11 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Moral in US is at an all time low, they honestly can't afford to loose any more ports, not like they got much left to loose any way.  ........

However, is not the problem of the game is that the Yankee militia does not have the same morale as the armed forces of the monarchies of Europe. A nation of peasants and rangers will never win against European gentlemen.

Hunt and Search&Destroy missions only state models to kill, not how you get them ( pve/pvp ); so you can effectively do everything in PvP only.

Also, 1000 dubloons for a 1st rate is the flat "crew pay" only... in a stroke of luck hitting a simple frigate returning to port after a good cruise you can make way way way more than that. In one simple frigate enemy player kill.

So, we have flat rate + whatever enemy may be carrying - his loot he took from others flat rates + their loot. So you can hit a jackpot somewhere.

1 minute ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Hunt and Search&Destroy missions only state models to kill, not how you get them ( pve/pvp ); so you can effectively do everything in PvP only.

Also, 1000 dubloons for a 1st rate is the flat "crew pay" only... in a stroke of luck hitting a simple frigate returning to port after a good cruise you can make way way way more than that. In one simple frigate enemy player kill.

So, we have flat rate + whatever enemy may be carrying - his loot he took from others flat rates + their loot.

If you look at the screen @Christendom posted above that 1648 Doubloons was from the kill not what he had in his hold.  So loto pay out of Doubloons can be profitable for some one.  The problem is does it pay out that for every PvP kill cause it sure as hell doesn't for PvE kills.   Well for those that RNG just hates which I'm one of those players.

I did notice they increased missions to 10 max compare to 5, which was good cause than you can take more of those Hunt and S&D missions to cover mulit rates/ships so you can get credit for PvE/PvP kills alike.

• Like 1

It is the same scheme for ALL of us. There's no segregation of playstyle or choice of targets, place, whatever.

All targets may have coin. PvP will definitely have coin. Missions can be done in all types of combat and rewards are at homefor you to collect.

You may well hit a "well geared fellows with lots of loot" and it is your shiny 30 minutes kill of the week, as well as you may get dropped yourself and someone jackpot day.

That's how I am processing it to be. The rewards are everywhere but not huge all the time nor guaranteed high all the time. Some days will be okay, other days will be huge. Other days will be on the down side and losing gear myself.

Given we all can use the market to buy and sell Dubloons i will expect the market to be established soon and traders to be able to also have a say on the Dubloon business.

Same with Conquest. That his the high stakes poker table as Intrepido puts it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Old Crusty said:

I write all of this from the perspective of a USA player. Along the US coast we have hardly seen any AI fleets that we can harvest.

Plenty of French, Pirate, and other AI fleets down in St Mary's. 😉
I agree that the PvE for US east coast players was hit really hard by this patch, though. You guys almost need to give away one of your northern ports to an opposing nation, which is sort of an absurd way to generate content, when you think about it.

1 hour ago, Sir John said:

British and French have agreed to leave the US Truxillo in order to spawn US AI fleets 😐 I suppose I can no longer argue that RvR is completely meaningless

I expect we will see more of this. Rather than large swathes of owned territory, it makes more economic sense to have a hopscotch of controlled counties, to promote AI crosstraffic.

5 minutes ago, IceBurg said:

its sad that we are now thinking that getting a shopship and buying shop cannons is "better"

Why? Isn’t everyone in pretty much the same boat? Absolutely no pun intended. 

I can understand you Old Crusty. On the first day after the patch I was very angry because my 1921 pvp marks where converted into 1921 duoblons and the pvp mark system was gone. I lived from PvP marks and bought all my stuff by selling them. I get even more angry when I boarded an AI trader for testing purpose and found 2600 duoblons in his hold. It took me a lot of time to get 1921 PvP marks and it took me only one day and a lucky punch to get 2600 duoblons. That was the first day and I thought: Hey, devs are making a PvE game out of this. Is it worth playing for me any more? — That was the first day

I decided to give it a try and on the second day I found many players leaving the reinforcementzones to farm duoblons in enemy waters. I decided to go out to farm AI traders and hunt those who farm them. I had more oportunities for PvP than I had before and a lot of people sail around in frigates, not in those pimped monsterSOLs and I thought: My anger is gone. This is nice. The common interest for duoblons brought together PvE and PvP players in the same area. I made up my mind and thought: my 1921 PvP marks where not converted 1:1 in duoblons, they are simply gone because we have a new system. Lets face the new system. — That was the second day.

Some friends and I had a very interesting battle tonight. I got duoblons by PvP and by PvE. I have seen a lot of players sailing outside the savezones. I like the new system. Congratulation devs. — That was the third day.

Give the new system a try. Do not sail SOL when your method of playing gives you no access to doublons. Sail 5th rates. They do not cost duoblons and they are by fare the most exciting ships esp what skill is concerned (and refering to realism they should be the most common ship). In my opinion you can improve your fighting ability most best in 5th rates. So there is nothing wrong with not sailing SOL for all day purpose. Collect duoblons in cheap ships or collect collectors.

Go out with your ship and play the game and have fun.

• Like 6

Yep we all can sail in 5 rate. They are nice enough. The question is if ppl want to be limited? 

I played a bit to check out my look since the patch. I still are under 1000 dubloons earned. Well I guess I just are the unluckely guy on the server. So if I ever want to spend time on a first rate,  guess i have to spend a couple of weeks trying to get enough doubloons.  Thank good I stopped playing in RvR.  

But guess for those guys doing RvR, ressources matters now. Do think it now actually would be possible to destroy a nations ability to fight. What would it take 4-5 big pb, where you kill of there fleet.

4 hours ago, Sir Loorkon said:

I can understand you Old Crusty. On the first day after the patch I was very angry because my 1921 pvp marks where converted into 1921 duoblons and the pvp mark system was gone. I lived from PvP marks and bought all my stuff by selling them. I get even more angry when I boarded an AI trader for testing purpose and found 2600 duoblons in his hold. It took me a lot of time to get 1921 PvP marks and it took me only one day and a lucky punch to get 2600 duoblons. That was the first day and I thought: Hey, devs are making a PvE game out of this. Is it worth playing for me any more? — That was the first day

I decided to give it a try and on the second day I found many players leaving the reinforcementzones to farm duoblons in enemy waters. I decided to go out to farm AI traders and hunt those who farm them. I had more oportunities for PvP than I had before and a lot of people sail around in frigates, not in those pimped monsterSOLs and I thought: My anger is gone. This is nice. The common interest for duoblons brought together PvE and PvP players in the same area. I made up my mind and thought: my 1921 PvP marks where not converted 1:1 in duoblons, they are simply gone because we have a new system. Lets face the new system. — That was the second day.

Some friends and I had a very interesting battle tonight. I got duoblons by PvP and by PvE. I have seen a lot of players sailing outside the savezones. I like the new system. Congratulation devs. — That was the third day.

Give the new system a try. Do not sail SOL when your method of playing gives you no access to doublons. Sail 5th rates. They do not cost duoblons and they are by fare the most exciting ships esp what skill is concerned (and refering to realism they should be the most common ship). In my opinion you can improve your fighting ability most best in 5th rates. So there is nothing wrong with not sailing SOL for all day purpose. Collect duoblons in cheap ships or collect collectors.

Go out with your ship and play the game and have fun.

This! ^

Adapt to the changes and try out the new system before judge it!

And don't listen to the guys who farmed unlimited pvp marks now complaining about the patch, try to look at the game overall not just yourself.

• Like 1