Game-Labs Forum
TheHaney

Demasting mechanics

So previously I was never much into de-masting but with the new missions I've found it fairly important. The problem is I'm getting extremely mixed results.

As an example, in a Cerberus versus a Belle Poule, I had 159 mast shots and she still had all her masts. I was under the impression non-penetrating shots wouldn't register, but my results were awkward. Can someone explain this more?

20181101195704_1.jpg

Edited by TheHaney

Any shot that hits a mast, will register as a mast hit, even if you are shooting chain. To know if your shots are penetrating, you need to know the stats of the ship you are fighting, and the ballistics of your guns. In your example, you were fighting a Belle using a Cerberus. The masts on a Belle Poule are 86cm thick. The cerberus mounts 9 lb guns, or 32 lb carronades. I attached the penetration values below. Medium 9's will penetrate the masts until you are around 150m away, and long 9's will penetrate until roughly 200m. The 32 lb carronades will penetrate until about 240m. 

In battle 250m is pretty close, its half of a map square, so I would guess that the majority of your shots were not penetrating. The values I was listing are for the bottom section of the masts, the middle section is thinner and the top is even thinner, so you might have been able to demast at ranges further than 250m, if you had focused the middle or top section. The key to demasting is to know the stats, and to focus all your shots into a specific section of the ships masts, or even focus a single mast. 

Of course if you start fighting players, mast mods make all this a guessing game, depending on what they might or might not have. Luckily the AI are more predictable. I'm happy to go into more detail about this stuff if you'd like. 

Screenshot at Nov 01 20-22-20.png

Edited by EliteDelta
  • Like 2

Nope that answers that question, I'd not realized the hits still register even if they don't penetrate :P Thanks for the info!

Don't take this as fact, but I think if you hit where the crows nest are (black sections of mast) those have more thickness than the pine sections, which will give you lots of hits with little to no penetration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slim McSauce said:

Don't take this as fact, but I think if you hit where the crows nest are (black sections of mast) those have more thickness than the pine sections, which will give you lots of hits with little to no penetration.

Thickness is split in to 3 zones: Bottom, Middle, Top with decreasing thickness respectively.

10 minutes ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Thickness is split in to 3 zones: Bottom, Middle, Top with decreasing thickness respectively.

yes but when you hit the spine on the bow of a ship it'll bounce more than the planking bow because it's a huge block of wood on top of already thick framing and planking. The bow is say 50 thickness, but that spine is like another 20 thickness that you have to shoot around or you'll bounce all day.

Edited by Slim McSauce