Game-Labs Forum

PvP Leaderboard

Hello there!

So, I'd like to expand on the idea I mentioned in the new patch feedback.
With all this hate coming from PvP players, there might be really a need to implement some substantial rewards for PvP players.

Granting the big chests of Doubloons and goodies for the best players should be something worth considering.

However, if we made a move towards less ganking by addition of Doubloons, we need to make sure we'll do it properly.

There is my idea of how can we implement PvP Leaderboard ranking with least negative impact on the gameplay:

Two simple rules:

1) Promote the best players, who could win even outnumbered battles
2) Discourage ganking, as killing 4v1 doesn't require much skill

To do so, I'd consider 'points based' system.

Every player get's amount of points based on the class of the ship he sank, and actually balance of the strength.

DISCLAIMER: Number values are just examples, to make it easier to present idea. 

For example: 1st rates are worth 10 points, 2nd and 3rd rates are worth 8 ponts, frigates 5, light ships 3. Traders - 0
Every player gets amount of points based on:

Ship class x Strength Ratio x Kill participation.

Example:

Players A, B, C, D had the fleet of 2000 BR into battle

Players X, Y, Z had the fleet of 1000 BR into battle.

The strength ratio is 0,5 for Players ABCD, and 2 for players X,Y,Z

Player A killed 2 players - one SOL and one Frigate, and Player B killed 1 frigate.
Player X killed 1 frigate, 

Player A will get:
For SOL - 8 points (2nd/3rd rate worth) x 0,5 (strength ratio) = 4 points to distribute between killing and assisting players
For Frigate - 5 points (frigate worth) x 0,5 (strength ratio) = 2,5 points to distribute between killing and assisting players

Player B will get:
For Frigate - 5 points (frigate worth) x 0,5 (strength ratio) = 2,5 points to distribute between killing and assisting players

Player X will get:
For Frigate: 5 points (frigate worth) x 2 (strength ratio) = 10 points to distribute between killing and assisting players

At the end, attacking lesser number of players and with weaker ships was not really challenging. Team ABCD got 9 points, where Team XYZ got 10 for managing to sink one ship despite beeing doubled by enemy BR.

Result: Ganking is no longer viable, and it doesn't promote any "PvP honors"

Still offers some points, but much less than normal situation

Example 2:

Player A is attacked by Players X and Y on exact same ships.

He managed to kill both of them.

He will get:
For frigate #1 - 5 points (frigate worth) x 2 (strength ratio) = 10 points
For frigate #2 - 5 points (frigate worth) x 2 (strength ratio) = 10 points

Real, and best PvP players awarded for their skill

He ends up with great rewards, for killing two players on same ship he used, which required nice PvP skills

Points are cumulated for whole week, and the rewards are distributed based on their performance.

Top player 10k Doubloons + PvP Chest Reward
Top 10 - 8k Doubloons + PvP Chest Reward
Top 25% - 5k Doubloons
Top 50% - 2k Doubloons

(of course, again, just an example)

What's Your thoughts?

• Like 2

In general I think it is a good idea, but there are a couple of issues.

First at what stage is the BR difference decided to work out the multiplier? For example A attacks B in same class of ship so you would expect a multiplier of 1, but just before instance closes C joins on side of A at extreme range and only manages to get to the battle and get off 1 broadside into an already sinking B, is the multiplier now 0.5 because it is 2v1 even though A would have completed the win on his own? This problem becomes worse in reinforcement zones where home nation can join late in battle.

The other issue I have is rewards given for getting on the leaderboard. If someone is successful enough to top the leaderboard then they have already gained enough rewards for doing that (assuming appropriate rewards for PvP) so giving them additional monetary rewards only increases the gap between successful PvP'ers and less successful PvP'ers to the point where it negatively affects PvP. I can understand the need for some people for recognition of their prowess but any reward should be cosmetic only. After all we know that the leaderboards will be dominated by the same few players every week. 

Also there is already a leaderboard style competition being introduced into the game so there is no need for rewards for another one.

But overall I like the idea of limiting the rewards based on the difficulty of the battle, especially the bit about trader points being 0 as traders are hardly a challenge and their cargo should be the reward.

46 minutes ago, Archaos said:

Overall I like the idea of limiting the rewards based on the difficulty of the battle, especially the bit about trader points being 0 as traders are hardly a challenge and their cargo should be the reward.

Word! This would prompte more honorable battles and this is seriously needed. If you want to save the game, this is the way to go imo!

The issue with late joiners is a real issue though.. OW normal battles close after 3 minutes. Patrol zone battles close after 30 minutes. And then we have the battles in the re enforcement zones that close after 10 minutes for enemy and stays open for the full duration for friendlies. I would say that just exclude patrol zone and reinforcment zone battles from a feature like this, or it will be exploited. 

Also it has to exclude AI BR when calculation the BR ratio, or it will be to exploitable imo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Read again:

1) Promote the best players, who could win even outnumbered battles
2) Discourage ganking, as killing 4v1 doesn't require much skill

so based on this idea you get shit for ganking and that's a good design. 

Read again, opinions and ideas are not facts.

I just gave my opinion. 

In reality, as long as we get the same number of Doubloons (not counting what might be in the hold) as we used to get for PVP marks, then the PVP Leader board will still function as it always did.  If we want better rewards for PVP, couldn't that come out as more missions?  In addition to a kill mission for a 5th rate AI, how about a Kill mission for a Player in a 5th rate?  Better rewards for the player 5th rate...

Edited by Angus MacDuff
  • Like 1