Game-Labs Forum

NPC Fleet Routes

Captains

NPC positioning changes next with Port UI patch. Feel free to use this information for changing locations for your future activities. 

One Port - One Flag.
NPC fleets will carry the flag of the port they are assigned to. Dutch ports will send out Dutch traders, Dutch combat patrols, Dutch fleets to sea. Sail along them to get extra protection when trading or returning to base. Of course traders and NPC patrols will venture to enemy areas, but expect to see mostly Dutch ships if you are sailing through Dutch coasts. 

Regions Matter
To help players find their perfect hunting spot, to help with search and destroy missions and to provide natural chokepoints and meeting places for players certain classes of NPC ships/fleets will now prefer to sail specific regions.

For example: Yucatan Region, Hispaniola, and Lower Antilles will mostly have 1-3 st rates ship of the line sailing solo or in fleets. 

Missions currently avoid this requirement. Kill Missions will continue provide targets based on mission not on region.

• Like 30

2 minutes ago, admin said:

Captains

NPC positioning changes next with Port UI patch. Feel free to use this information for changing locations for your future activities. 

One Port - One Flag.
NPC fleets will carry the flag of the port they are assigned to. Dutch ports will send out Dutch traders, Dutch combat patrols, Dutch fleets to sea. Sail along them to get extra protection when trading or returning to base. Of course traders and NPC patrols will venture to enemy areas, but expect to see mostly Dutch ships if you are sailing through Dutch coasts. 

Regions Matter
To help players find their perfect hunting spot, to help with search and destroy missions and to provide natural chokepoints and meeting places for players certain classes of NPC ships/fleets will now prefer to sail specific regions.

For example: Yucatan Region, Hispaniola, and Lower Antilles will mostly have 1-3 st rates ship of the line sailing solo or in fleets. 

Missions avoid this requirement. Mission will provide targets based on mission not on region.

This is looking good........

10 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Why SOLs would sail alone?

Shh.. don't tell the bots : they are stupid. 

Seriously, maybe to allow ppl to fight a single bot SOL in OW...You know fun for all the categories of players...

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, admin said:

Sail along them to get extra protection when trading or returning to base.

Extra protection?

Does this mean when I am attacked, the NPC fleet will be dragged into the instance?

Does the NPC fleet need to be inside the attack circle of OW?

Does the NPC fleet need to match my own nation?

14 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

Does this mean when I am attacked, the NPC fleet will be dragged into the instance?

Always worked this way. If you are attacked the NPC next to you will be dragged.

If you attack, they aren't.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Always worked this way. If you are attacked the NPC next to you will be dragged.

If you attack, they aren't.

more importantly, does this mean that if we pull an NPC fleet that the player will be dragged in? It's currently not the case and I always smile when we catch the player. 

1 hour ago, Galt said:

more importantly, does this mean that if we pull an NPC fleet that the player will be dragged in?

Read again: NPC allies are dragged IF you are attacked, not when you attack ( or are part of a group attacking). 

Only battle groups are pulled together.

Given NPCs never attack, there's your answer.

1 hour ago, Banished Privateer said:

Are you sure about that?

That's how it should work. If you found anything incorrect please report.

- you attack a enemy player -

- your nation npc ow ships passing by won't be dragged -

- his nation npc ships passing by will be dragged -

____

you attack an AI

- your nation NPC fleet passing by won't be dragged -

- enemy AI nation NPC fleet passing by will be dragged -

---

so far so good, this two situations have been working flawlessly on my end. didn't see any anomalies; both in zone or outside of it.

30 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

- you attack a enemy player -

- your nation npc ow ships passing by won't be dragged -

- his nation npc ships passing by will be dragged -

____

you attack an AI

---

so far so good, this two situations have been working flawlessly on my end. didn't see any anomalies; both in zone or outside of it.

Once upon a time near Nassau I attacked AI fleet and other AI of my own nation that were nearby got dragged also. Magnificent battle!!!!

18 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

you attack an AI

I've attacked AI outside the zone and I have had my own nation's NPC fleets dragged in.

• Like 1

So much for not having to sail far from a friendly port to find something to fight. As someone who hates spending much time fruitlessly sailing around the open world, waiting for my ship to get from A to B or for an enemy ship to appear, it looks like missions, and maybe the areas around free towns, could be the only reliable options left, unless I get lucky and find a spot were lots of AI frigates tend to hang out... In other words, this sounds like one more reason for me to not play this game, because now I'll be even less likely to find something to fight than before. 

Have I read this correct, that the only AI around a nations ports will be the same flag as the nation who owns the port? I read the part about them wandering into enemy areas but by how far?

If I am correct in my assumptions there will be good and bad to it. It will just about kill PvE grinding of ship slots against AI as for a regular supply of AI you will have to travel to enemy waters and not just exit your own nation port and pick up random AI fleets. The PvP crowd will be happy with this because it may mean more targets closer to their home, but it could also mean more giving up on playing. Experienced players who have already done most of their grinding may not see big issues with this but new players may struggle to find fleets to grind especially when it comes to grinding to get the rare drops.

It is going to make the new hunt and kill missions more difficult as you will have to search for these ships further away from your nations ports, which is good for hunters looking for people doing these missions but bad for people who wish to do these missions to get dubloons. It may promote more action on front lines as people will create outposts close to enemy ports to get the overlap of AI fleets and not have to travel so far to find them, but it will be bad for PvP hunters that used to hunt deep into enemy territory as these areas now will only be populated by the odd trader and not many people hunting AI fleets.

I assume safe zones will become virtually deserted as there will be no enemy AI to attack.

These are just a few of my thoughts with this announcement, it will be interesting to see how it plays out in the OW, whether it brings more action or makes it more difficult.

• Like 1

Re-read the OP and this could be very interesting.  As I read it, ALL national ports are affected by this, not just the green areas.  This means for instance, that the Brits, with their wide spread ports, will have to range very far away from home to hunt AI.  Places where there is a good mix of port ownership will become hotspots.  Bahamas...

• Like 2